News Article: Babcock article - Noone is spared

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
lol there's people in here defending him because they hate the leafs core forwards so much. Might want to see what he did to Johan Franzen who contemplated suicide at points.
Chris Chelios was also blackballed by him and Mike Modano got f***ed out of game 1500 because Babcock couldn't have anyone else have the limelight

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
lol there's people in here defending him because they hate the leafs core forwards so much. Might want to see what he did to Johan Franzen who contemplated suicide at points.
Chris Chelios was also blackballed by him and Mike Modano got f***ed out of game 1500 because Babcock couldn't have anyone else have the limelight

He could eat puppies for breakfast for all I care, I’m more confused by people talking about him as if he’s some sort of pro-grit defensive mastermind that could have turned us prime trap-era New Jersey with a broad street bullies level of grit if it wasn’t for our awful coddled core. Other than his Anaheim run and Team Canada he’s played euro style offensive possession games with Detroit when he had an all-star lineup that could handle it, god knows what after Lidstrom retired, and something close to Carlyle run and gun in Toronto.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
So now he's firing shots at everyone in Toronto for exposing him as the fraud we all know him to be.

What I want to know is how were Shanahan & Lou so completely unaware of who he was before they hired him? Or were they?

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Meh, I'd be willing to bet that's exactly what happened in Chicago. There is a reason the NHL has banned him from coaching again.

I’m still not sure how a 6’3” professional athlete gets abused by a 5’7” non-athlete. I find it hard to blame Q for not really taking it seriously. I probably would think it was a joke.

Reactions: Stringer Bell

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I’m still not sure how a 6’3” professional athlete gets abused by a 5’7” non-athlete. I find it hard to blame Q for not really taking it seriously. I probably would think it was a joke.
Power imbalances come in all shapes and sizes.

What I want to know is how were Shanahan & Lou so completely unaware of who he was before they hired him? Or were they?
Shanahan would have known exactly what Babcock was, because he's probably no different than a ton of coaches who have come in and out of the league over the years. These guys don't get to this level without having their own unique personality flaws, no different than the players. The only difference is that most of the time this stuff never gets into the public domain.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Comparing Babcock to Keefe is like comparing dog crap to monkey crap.

They're both crap.

I don't understand why Babcock is even relevant still. Nobody should care what a washed up asshat coach thinks. They gave him another chance and he blew it.

Got caught playing peek-a-boo with players phones.

He deserved getting fired for such a gross invasion of privacy. I got pictures of grade A prime tube steak on my phone. Not all of them my own either.

It was embarassing enough when the wife saw them.

I can only imagine how those poor hockey players felt. It must've been so traumatic. Probably scarred for life by that mean old hockey coach.

What a piece of crap he was.

Last edited:

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
What a disgusting comment. Bigger people can be abused by smaller people. Maybe educate yourself a bit on abuse before trying to absolve people who helped contribute to it.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Predators don’t just rely on size. A 6 foot shark can kill you just as easily as a 30 foot Orca.
They prey on any weakness, they know how to manipulate you.

Reactions: Leafshater67

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
What a disgusting comment. Bigger people can be abused by smaller people. Maybe educate yourself a bit on abuse before trying to absolve people who helped contribute to it.
Yeah, I mean...kind of. To pretend that Beach isn't responsible or in control of any of his actions is kind of crazy though.

AlienWorkShop

No, Ben! No!
Oct 30, 2004
Babs is a strange dude but what's up with doing this article now ?

The article claims that Babcock still has massive influence in the game and is consulted by a lot of teams.
The article is a reaction to Jim Montgomery happily sharing how he had an encouraging chat with Babcock before Game 7. The CBJ episode may have finally blackballed Babcock from ever getting another NHL coaching gig, but his influence among 'the hockey men' still clearly prevails (and was part of why CBJ decided to give him another chance). Kneecapping the sport's worst people is kind of Katie Strang's 'thing', so the angle won't necessarily be 'fair', but she's pretty good at it.

'Babcock is an asshole' is probably beating a dead horse, and the article does regurgitate some stories... but it was interesting to hear he pulled that 'rank players' effort level and then show it to the whole team' shit on the Leafs' training staff too, as well as apparently picking a random staff member to berate every day. Does add another element of how much of a prick he is.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brobust

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
If someone told you Mitch Marner was abusing Ryan Reaves, how would you react?
The same way I would react if someone told me Ryan Reaves was abusing Mitch Marner. I don't support abuse of any kind (regardless of who the victim/aggressor is), or the people in power who minimize and foster it for their own personal benefit. It's kind of disgusting that anybody would have any other answer.

Reactions: Leafshater67

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Was he wrong about any of these guys though? Players he liked, typically have succes, players he doesn't like... typically dont.

Holl, Engvall, Holland, Malgin, Petan... these are all guys that he wouldn't have any interest of having on his team.

He loves guys like Hyman, Moore.

Seems like he's a guy who just doesn't have time for guys he knows are not gonna win and are a waste of his time. If they worked their ass off for him, he'd have rewarded him.

Instead a guy like Holland, whose work ethic was questioned before Toronto wants to meet with him? Instead of working for it on the ice?

Sure... maybe wrong approach at times, but not wrong on the players and certainly worse has likely happened in everyday work for all of us.

He played Bozak a ton, Kadri a lot... etc.
We can separate his ability to judge & evaluate talent, with his ability to be a decent human being.

He was right on a lot of his players, and he was right with a lot of the habits showcased by the stars - he headbutted walls trying to teach this core about playing away from the puck, what compete looked like, and the importance of starting on time. Several years later, they still haven't learned those lessons.

You can also do all of those things, without being an asshole.

Reactions: Antropovsky

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
The same way I would react if someone told me Ryan Reaves was abusing Mitch Marner. I don't support abuse of any kind (regardless of who the victim/aggressor is), or the people in power who minimize and foster it for their own personal benefit. It's kind of disgusting that anybody would have any other answer.

There’s a difference between supporting abuse and asking questions about how and why it happened.

Pretending every situation is the same just minimizes the real victims of abuse.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
I’m not the one pretending to be something else. Deny it all you want, but you’re just as confused how this all went down as I am.

Do you really find it so incomprehensible that a member of the coaching staff was able to target a player on the fringes of the team?

Reactions: bax

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
There’s a difference between supporting abuse and asking questions about how and why it happened.
Pretending every situation is the same just minimizes the real victims of abuse.
All abuse situations are not the same. That's the whole point. You didn't "ask questions". You minimized the abuses that bigger people can experience from people smaller than them, dismissed the power imbalances at play, and attempted to absolve somebody in power who failed that individual and helped foster an abusive environment for his own personal benefit. Now you're mocking people that show empathy to the victims of abuse.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
All abuse situations are not the same. That's the whole point. You didn't "ask questions". You minimized the abuses that bigger people can experience from people smaller than them, dismissed the power imbalances at play, and attempted to absolve somebody in power who failed that individual and helped foster an abusive environment for his own personal benefit.

You can pretend you know what happened if you want. You can also pretend acting sympathetic makes you morally superior. Just don’t expect me to participate in your delusions.

Now you're mocking people that show empathy to the victims of abuse.

I’m mocking the people who feigned disingenuousness empathy for a fake victim in a fabricated situation (Reaves/Marner)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad