News Article: Babcock article - Noone is spared

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I suspect him getting fired before playing even a single a game with the last team likely sealed his fate from getting another gig. Few ownership groups are going to want the risk
Normally I'd agree, but Lou...

He's got the power to sway those kinds of decisions. I wouldn't expect anything more than a one-year deal, though.

CapspaceKiller

Aug 10, 2020
This again,

Babs is a complete weirdo who had poor people skills in a role that requires good people skills. He's like the Anti-Pat Quinn or the Anti-Paul Maurice.

I'm sure some of his valuations of the players were correct, another ones were terrible.

He has a laundry list of current and ex-players (Some hall of famers) who say he's completely screwed up in the head. Its very likely he's a narcissist.

Remember, Mike Babcock always bets on Mike Babcock...

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
He has a laundry list of current and ex-players (Some hall of famers) who say he's completely screwed up in the head. Its very likely he's a narcissist.
I think you would find that this is a common trait of many very successful people. This guy is just getting skewered now because he is the easiest of easy targets at this point. Meanwhile, I'll say it again, the coach who willingly turned a blind eye to one of his players being sexually abused by a member of his own coaching staff because he was too concentrated on winning has an army of people pounding tables to get him back into the NHL.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
I think you would find that this is a common trait of many very successful people. This guy is just getting skewered now because he is the easiest of easy targets at this point. Meanwhile, I'll say it again, the coach who willingly turned a blind eye to one of his players being sexually abused by a member of his own coaching staff because he was too concentrated on winning has an army of people pounding tables to get him back into the NHL.
Yep, the NHL is full of scummy people.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
Cause he ll never have to brown nose around him again
These pigeons can't upset the working coaches or gms because it's their lifeline
It ll be the same when the leafs run it back
U watch
Very true...I know people slam Steve Simmons...but he seems to be just about the only reporter who ever asks a question that might be considered difficult by the team. They are all sycophants and they make sure they don't upset anyone.

Reactions: hullsy47

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
Absolute freak towards winning and success.

You can see how that doesn't jive with the Leafs' multi-millionaire bunch.

And it's pretty unfortunate for all parties concerned,

The only player that seems to take winning as hard as Babcock seems to be William Nylander, which should surprise most people.
multi-millionaries? on an NHL team?

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Babcock should have known better than to criticize Gods, I still can’t believe he allowed mgmt to make him go to the dessert to wash Austin’s feet, it’s no wonder these guys are entitled pricks and have never been reined in……..
Which gods did he criticise?

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Who is Noone and why was he spared?
Khan Noonien Singh
1717289073405.jpeg

He was spared because he was genetically superior.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
The irony now is you can’t afford better support cast because the 4 amigos take so much of the pie and it’s only going to be worse next year

They've got close to $20M in cap space. Even more if they move Kampf and Jarnkrok. So, No.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Well he did have to go to Austin to pick up the stone tablets with the cores 12 commandments

The irony now is you can’t afford better support cast because the 4 amigos take so much of the pie and it’s only going to be worse next year
It’s not even that anymore. The sum of the core just isn’t designed for the playoffs, the grind and the intensity.
It needs to change. It’s one thing for management to hold accountability, the core needs the same voices. You can imagine expectations from a Bergeron/Chara were much different from the little rascals gang.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
They've got close to $20M in cap space. Even more if they move Kampf and Jarnkrok. So, No.
How many players will they need to replace with that 20 million and is that after factoring Matthews and Nylanders new deals

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
How many players will they need to replace with that 20 million and is that after factoring Matthews and Nylanders new deals

That is after the new deals. If they are willing to go with Knies and McMann in the top 6, then their top 6 is set. But they will likely sign Bertuzzi and Domi to a combined $10M or so. Allowing them $10M for 2 defencemen and a goalie.

I'm not sure who you are referring to. Most people who are anti-Babcock are also anti-Quenneville.

Reactions: Racer88

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

It's not too bad really. The cap increase covers a good chunk of some of the salary raises. Replace Kampf with Dewar for likely less than half the aav cost ect.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

screenshot-2024-06-01-at-10-23-39%E2%80%AFpm-png.878645

$19.4 million to spend here.

No good goalies on the market so likely only $3-4 million tops (I can see a sub $3 million one).

Cheaper players like Dewar/Robertson/Liljegren as RFAs.

Some younger players may be ready to make the jump too.

We have never been in a bad situation cap-wise, and it will continue to be that way.

Brodie had $5 million of dead cap space and we didn't use all of Klingberg's cap last year, not to mention Samsanov was a backup by the end, there was a lot of unused cap space.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-06-01 at 10.23.39 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-06-01 at 10.23.39 PM.png
    807.2 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: Racer88

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
So by that chart we need a number 1 and 2 defense a good goalie unless you are comfortable with Woll who so far is hurt a lot.
We need a 3rd line wing and centre. That seems like a lot of holes to fill with the money available and it seems like we will be filling some prominent holes with bargain bin players again.
So ya they can fill those spots but with the money available will they be any better then the ones we had this year.
Don’t get me wrong, I really want your evaluation to be true but I don’t see any difference from the same run it back just different name filling in the supporting cast.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
It's not too bad really. The cap increase covers a good chunk of some of the salary raises. Replace Kampf with Dewar for likely less than half the aav cost ect.
Now all we have to do is hope that money is spent effectively

Reactions: Menzinger

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I'm not sure who you are referring to. Most people who are anti-Babcock are also anti-Quenneville.
In general, I think Quenneville has been let off pretty easy by the media, people in the game and fans. The former two are for legal reason, because no one can say anything while claims are still pending before courts.

Reactions: sabremike

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think you have guys like Tortorella who are hard asses and will be tough on you but have some people skills and won't cross the lines that Babcock did.

Torts kinda mellowed out over the years.

The article makes Babcock come across a complete asshole.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad