Post-Game Talk: Ba Bada Bum Bada Bum Bada Bum

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Eh we might. Backend is still fairly young and players like Philp/Savoie could be up by the playoffs and both are young legs with good speed. Janmark comes out flying every playoffs so I don't really understand that criticism. He was excellent both of the last 2 playoffs, but unfortunately broke his foot blocking a shot 2 years ago so we didn't really see it until last year.
Its critical this season that we have some guys that can row in regular season. A lot of these vets gave us next to zero production all of last season. They can't JUST be playoff guys. NHL Is harder than people seem to think. You can't have half your lineup contributing just a handful of goals..

Even Holloway who people say was useless had 6 goals in 36 games and notched 5 more in playoffs. Looked like he was starting to come. Mcleod had a dozen goals, Foegele notched 20.

Straight up I'd take Holloway over what RV is giving us. Man I'd even take McLeod for his tireless work in pk and zone entries/exits. McLeod unsung in that regard.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
The Calgary game was even worse. The NHL handed that game to the godless Flames.

Pointless RV is the reason that any line he's on is getting absolutely nothing. tonight he was hexing the Nuge line and again he was horrible. So weak on pucks. Iso on RV and he's absolutely struggling. He'll take whacks at any puck any time which makes him look busy and involved but he's a player that will take 10 shots in a row that have no hope of going in. Shoot from anywhere perimeter player is what he's become.
Whole team has pretty much looked like you've described. I'll give him more time to figure it out. You can still see he's a skilled puck handler and passer when guys are whipping it around. Team just hasn't had much opportunity for their skill to shine through because they can't make a pass.

Its critical this season that we have some guys that can row in regular season. A lot of these vets gave us next to zero production all of last season. They can't JUST be playoff guys. NHL Is harder than people seem to think. You can't have half your lineup contributing just a handful of goals..

Even Holloway who people say was useless had 6 goals in 36 games and notched 5 more in playoffs. Looked like he was starting to come. Mcleod had a dozen goals, Foegele notched 20.

Straight up I'd take Holloway over what RV is giving us. Man I'd even take McLeod for his tireless work in pk and zone entries/exits. McLeod unsung in that regard.
Take away top 6 time and Foegele+McLeod put up less than 20 goals combined. Lets not act like these guys produced in the bottom 6. They didn't.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Whole team has pretty much looked like you've described. I'll give him more time to figure it out. You can still see he's a skilled puck handler and passer when guys are whipping it around. Team just hasn't had much opportunity for their skill to shine through because they can't make a pass.

Take away top 6 time and Foegele+McLeod put up less than 20 goals combined. Lets not act like these guys produced in the bottom 6. They didn't.
Teams are reading our usual plays and getting in lanes or stepping up on Booch because we telegraph the same stuff constantly. Eventually the NHL hones in on our typical scoring tricks. We're forcing passes through a lot, but the coverage also isn't giving us a lot of our bread and butter anymore.
With RV particularly skill never a question. But his back and health sure is.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Teams are reading our usual plays and getting in lanes or stepping up on Booch because we telegraph the same stuff constantly. Eventually the NHL hones in on our typical scoring tricks. We're forcing passes through a lot, but the coverage also isn't giving us a lot of our bread and butter anymore.
With RV particularly skill never a question. But his back and health sure is.
Nah Bouchard is holding onto pucks way too long and thats the biggest reason he gets 90% of his shots blocked. The poor passing execution, poor decision making, and poor shot execution has very little to do with what other teams are doing. The guys just aren't executing. I've watched every home game live this preseason and season and its plainly obvious.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.

Lets not act like the same players wouldn't continue to produce in topsix. Some of Drais most impressive games last season were with Foegele and McLeod.

Its the thing with RV is he needs constant topsix rotation just to put up 30EV pts and thats playing on skill lines. He's not that much anymore. He won't be getting much PP here. RV was getting good linemates in LA. Its not like he was playing with scrubs there. Obviously RV gets injured regularly too. He's a non factor but the org really banged his drum as if they got a ringer. Sells some tickets I guess.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Nah Bouchard is holding onto pucks way too long and thats the biggest reason he gets 90% of his shots blocked. The poor passing execution, poor decision making, and poor shot execution has very little to do with what other teams are doing. The guys just aren't executing. I've watched every home game live this preseason and season and its plainly obvious.
Nah. Calgary game Vladar made a couple blocker saves on Booch that were labeled. He's being more patient because shot blocks are already set up. Teams have our book and making the reads to the point. Even Debrusk noticed that. Booch has been good. One of our better players doing what he should. Booch could have 2-3 goals so far with any luck. Been a couple posts too.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Lets not act like the same players wouldn't continue to produce in topsix. Some of Drais most impressive games last season were with Foegele and McLeod.

Its the thing with RV is he needs constant topsix rotation just to put up 30EV pts and thats playing on skill lines. He's not that much anymore. He won't be getting much PP here. RV was getting good linemates in LA. Its not like he was playing with scrubs there. Obviously RV gets injured regularly too. He's a non factor but the org really banged his drum as if they got a ringer. Sells some tickets I guess.
Lets not act? They didn't and that's why they were rarely in the top 6. They had spurts and then went dry as most bottom 6ers do when McDrai can't carry them for an entire season. McLeod and Foegele are terrible finishers and you'll see that when they combine for less than 20 goals this season.

RV will be fine when the stars on this team remember how to play hockey again. He's still better than McLeod and Foegele who I bet will struggle to hit 10 goals and 30 points each this year.

Reactions: Oilhawks

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Nah. Calgary game Vladar made a couple blocker saves on Booch that were labeled. He's being more patient because shot blocks are already set up. Teams have our book and making the reads to the point. Even Debrusk noticed that. Booch has been good. One of our better players doing what he should. Booch could have 2-3 goals so far with any luck. Been a couple posts too.
I mean that's just completely false. I've watched him hold onto at least 20 blue line opportunities these past 4 games, dust it off, and then fire a wrist shot or slap shot into a shin pad.

Bouchard has not been good. He's showing you just how skilled he is because he can still create those chances when he's half assing it and executing poorly. That just goes to show how good the player is, but doesn't mean he's playing well through these 4 games. At least tonight he got his shot through a lot more than in recent games because in the previous two he looked like he was doing his best Andrej Sekera impression.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Lets not act? They didn't and that's why they were rarely in the top 6. They had spurts and then went dry as most bottom 6ers do when McDrai can't carry them for an entire season. McLeod and Foegele are terrible finishers and you'll see that when they combine for less than 20 goals this season.

RV will be fine when the stars on this team remember how to play hockey again. He's still better than McLeod and Foegele who I bet will struggle to hit 10 goals and 30 points each this year.
RV is no better finisher than even a Foegele is. With Foegele if you get 20 goals from him and we did its around 20EV goals. RV in a typical year might have 15 EV goals in his prime. RV has only been in topsix on teams that are needing guys in there. On talent bereft Nashville or on some rebuild clubs in LA.

On a premium club like the OIlers RV shouldn't be anywhere near a topsix. Shouldn't even be here. His play is showing that.

I'm not even a Foegele fan. But the guy put up 40pts last season that were not PP pts. There is no chance RV does that. Not even close.

Even on the whole Foegele put up 43 non PP goals here in his 3 seasons. 45 in total. RV might not even hit 15 EV goals here.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
RV is no better finisher than even a Foegele is. With Foegele if you get 20 goals from him and we did its around 20EV goals. RV in a typical year might have 15 EV goals. RV has only been in topsix on teams that are needing guys in there. On talent bereft Nashville or on some rebuild clubs in LA.

On a premium club like the OIlers RV shouldn't be anywhere near a topsix. Shouldn't even be here. His play is showing that.

I'm not even a Foegele fan. But the guy put up 40pts last season that were not PP pts. There is no chance RV does that. Not even close.

Even on the whole Foegele put up 43 non PP goals here in his 3 seasons. Thats 45 in total. RV might not even hit 15 EV goals here.
Its hilarious if you think Foegele will ever come close to 20 goals or 40 points ever again. That's a Leon Draisaitl top up. And in case you're forgetting this team also didn't have 6 top 6 players last season. In fact they only had 4 when Kane was injured. RV is an upgrade on their bottom 6ers being propped up by two of the best centres of this generation.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
My thoughts on the night:

- Very happy with the win, it was no masterpiece, but we showed some backbone and overcame adversity and biased officiating. Our roleplays dragged us into the fight and the big guns showed a pulse.
- Big props to Nurse that was a big step up from his prior play and no I'm not going to give all the credit to Stecher, it started with Nurse being first to a lot more pucks and he made better plays when he had the puck.
- To this point the weakest member of the d-core is Emberson, but I do see enough elements that I like that I'm not agreeing with waiving him quite yet, Give the coaching staff some more time to work with him.
- Nuge is playing awful, I actually think the fix is simple though, to me it looks like he is pivoting a fraction of a second slower than usual and he does that a lot cause he is always trying to adjust his stick positioning to cover passing lanes and cause of repeatedly being a fraction of a second slower the result is he is chasing the play rather than anticipating the play which is more the norm for him. Sometimes hockey is funny in how doing 1 basic thing better or worse consistently has drastic effects on your overall game.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Its hilarious if you think Foegele will ever come close to 20 goals or 40 points ever again. That's a Leon Draisaitl top up. And in case you're forgetting this team also didn't have 6 top 6 players last season. In fact they only had 4 when Kane was injured. RV is an upgrade on their bottom 6ers being propped up by two of the best centres of this generation.
RV played with a pretty legendary Multi SC winning center and other quality linemates in LA, you might have noticed that.

EV players like Kempe, Kopitar are no slouches. Not far off what Drai is lately in EV. Its not like RV is going to get much of a bump here, he was getting that in LA. RV whole time in LA hasn't put up more than Foegele EV. Thats a fact. The most RV had any year in LA was 16EV goals. Thats it.

RV still got a bump in 22-23 season because he had 25PP pts. His EV production was pedestrian in LA. He's not at all the player he was in Nashville.

I never said Foegele will get that 20 goals going forward, I was saying he was averaging 15 goals here. RV might not get that.

RV is no uptick.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
From the Stecher fight on this was a great game. Stecher has guts, the guy is a good teammate and he’s clearly competitive. Keep him in the lineup.

I really liked the Skinner signing so it’s good to see he’s clicking. I actually like Arvidsson too, he probably gets more chances he’s just not cashing in yet.

Knob should sneak Skinner and RV/Rico out there with McDrai+Bouchard on the PP. Maybe like 50-60 seconds into the PP RNH and Hyman swap out and McDrai play another ther 20 seconds or so.

This team has options now. But ES I really like Skinner with Henrique and Brown. Brown is a puck hound, he skates it in deep and forechecks and Skinner has the speed to keep up and the hands the score.

If they can get a decent RD this team is better than last season. For now just get to .500

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
RV played with a pretty legendary Multi SC winning center and other quality linemates in LA, you might have noticed that.

EV players like Kempe, Kopitar are no slouches. Not far off what Drai is lately in EV. Its not like RV is going to get much of a bump here, he was getting that in LA. RV whole time in LA hasn't put up more than Foegele EV. Thats a fact. The most RV had any year in LA was 16EV goals. Thats it.

RV still got a bump in 22-23 season because he had 25PP pts. His EV production was pedestrian in LA.

I never said Foegele will get that 20 goals going forward, I was saying he was averaging 15 goals here. RV might not get that.

RV is no uptick.
For a guy who claims to know and follow LA hockey you sure don't have a clue what you're talking about with Arvidsson.

2023-24: 5v5 with Kopitar 24:46, 5v5 with Kempe 15:21
2022-23: 5v5 with Kopitar 49:49, 5v5 with Kempe 6:49
2021-22: 5v5 with Kopitar 199:31, 5v5 with Kempe 47:19

Just admit you're making shit up and lets move on.

• Haha
Reactions: bellagiobob

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
For a guy who claims to know and follow LA hockey you sure don't have a clue what you're talking about with Arvidsson.

2023-24: 5v5 with Kopitar 24:46, 5v5 with Kempe 15:21
2022-23: 5v5 with Kopitar 49:49, 5v5 with Kempe 6:49
2021-22: 5v5 with Kopitar 199:31, 5v5 with Kempe 47:19

Just admit you're making shit up and lets move on.
RV only played 17 games last season. So his minutes with ANYBODY wouldn't be high would it. RV was rotated in LA with Kempe, Kopitar, Villardi, Iafallo, Byfield etc. They did move him around a lot but always on topsix there.

I never stated anywhere RV played majority of his minutes with Kopitar or Kemps. Was just mentioning he had played with that nature of player. LA always had enough to have a decent topsix. But RV was a really replaceable part of it. Just of note the best Kings showing ever against OIlers in playoffs was oddly without RV. Last playoffs RV was awful in that series. Somewhat inteesting as well is in last 3 playoffs RV only has one goal.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I still think my favourite part of the Bouchard disallowed goal is that its actually the Flyers defender who bumps the goalies blocker when the shot is coming. Hyman bumps him before the shot is even taken. Clown show league.

RV only played 17 games last season. So his minutes with ANYBODY wouldn't be high would it. RV was rotated in LA with Kempe, Kopitar, Villardi, Iafallo, Byfield etc. They did move him around a lot but always on topsix there.

I never stated anywhere RV played majority of his minutes with Kopitar or Kemps. Was just mentioning he had played with that nature of player.
Ok let me be more clear. Less than 15% of his 5v5 minutes in LA were with Kopitar and less than 5% with Kempe at 5v5 in his 3 seasons there.

Just admit you have no idea what you're talking about and move on.

Reactions: Sethual

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I still think my favourite part of the Bouchard disallowed goal is that its actually the Flyers defender who bumps the goalies blocker when the shot is coming. Hyman bumps him before the shot is even taken. Clown show league.

Ok let me be more clear. Less than 10% of his 5v5 minutes in LA were with Kopitar and less than 5% with Kempe at 5v5 in his 3 seasons there.

Just admit you have no idea what you're talking about and move on.
Again I never maintained or stated it Look at the posts above and tell me where I stated RV was primarily with Kempe, Kopitar. He has been with them on PP too at times. I stated he played with guys of that caliber, thats all. You misread the posts.

You're just sidelining this aspect because you have no answer to what makes RV a better EV player here even than what Foegele was. RV had limited production EV, in LA. Why not reply to that? RV hasn't really been an impact EV player since Nashville. That is the case.

Humor me and predict how many goals you think RV will be getting here. Nah, you're not even doing that.

Last edited:

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Again I never maintained or stated it Look at the posts above and tell me where I stated RV was primarily with Kempe, Kopitar. He has been with them on PP too at times. I stated he played with guys of that caliber, thats all. You misread the posts.
"RV played with a pretty legendary Multi SC winning center and other quality linemates in LA, you might have noticed that.

EV players like Kempe, Kopitar are no slouches"

Here you go.

His most common linemates were almost exclusively Danault and Moore. Which of those two players are you describing above? Stop back pedalling and just shut up already on Arvidsson. You were caught making shit up own it and move on.

Your constant Arvidsson slander is getting out of hand and most of it is rooted in your delusional perception of reality.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
"RV played with a pretty legendary Multi SC winning center and other quality linemates in LA, you might have noticed that.

EV players like Kempe, Kopitar are no slouches"

Here you go.

His most common linemates were almost exclusively Danault and Moore. Which of those two players are you describing above? Stop back pedalling and just shut up already on Arvidsson. You were caught making shit up own it and move on.

Your constant Arvidsson slander is getting out of hand and most of it is rooted in your delusional perception of reality.
So how in your mind does that equate with what you allege?

I didn't make anything up. Danault and Moore are better EV players now than RV is. Not sure whats up with you tonight but anyway. No need to be a dick.

Trevor Moore put up close to 50pts EV last season. Way more than RV has done in years. Danault is a much stronger 200ft player than RV.

RV Slander. JFC. he's got not much left. 6yrs removed from his last good season in Nashville.

lmao

After two back surgeries RV has very little to give.

"Delusional" Could you be any more of a jerk?

Last edited:

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
So how in your mind does that equate with what you allege?

I didn't make anything up. Danualt and Moore are better players now than RV is. Not sure whats up with you tonight but anyway. No need to be a dick.

RV Slander. JFC.

lmao
80% of your posts the past 2 weeks have been slamming Arvidsson. The other 20% were slamming Skinner, but you seem to have backed off that because he's proving you wrong.

You made shit up and you know you did and you were wrong so own it. You just went off about how his situation here isn't any better because he played with a legendary SC winning centre and players like Kempe. The fact is no he actually didn't. He played with a below average to average (offensively) 2nd line centre and a below average to average (offensively) 2nd line winger.

Reactions: harpoon

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
80% of your posts the past 2 weeks have been slamming Arvidsson. The other 20% were slamming Skinner, but you seem to have backed off that because he's proving you wrong.

You made shit up and you know you did and you were wrong so own it. You just went off about how his situation here isn't any better because he played with a legendary SC winning centre and players like Kempe. The fact is no he actually didn't. He played with a below average to average (offensively) 2nd line centre and a below average to average (offensively) 2nd line winger.
Who was RV playing with tonight. Nuge. KK already getting the impression RV can't be playing with Drai or McD here. Skinner has brought his A game here. Thats good. Wasn't guaranteed that would occur. RV doesn't have an A game left.

Moore and Danault are better EV players than RV is. Would love to have either one of those.

Moore had 50 non PP pts last season. How is that "average"

RV had massive PP opportunity in LA. He'll be getting just 2nd unit PP mop up here. How is his situation here better with that? Drai has dropped off EV. Depends who we park with him on the line but RV is not healthy enough or young enough to be on that line. Doesn't have the jam anymore. I'd prefer even Savoie, Lavoie, or Holloway as a third with Drai. We need legs. team is chasing the play too often.

Again instead of insulting me 5X give me some predictions for what RV will produce here. Nah you don't want to commit. If lobbing insuts is your nature of discussion now I won't bother further.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad