Proposal: B Tkachuk (Ott) for M Marner (Tor)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
In a nod to the "vs" thread in the general forum which seems to have fans of both teams chiming in, what does the rest of the fanbase' think?

Two young guns, already proven their worth, different styles of play.

Personally, as stated over there, if the Leafs weren't so top heavy with Mathews/Tavares/Nylander I would want to keep Marner. Some nights I see prime Gilmour potential with him....

..having said that...I see a lot I like in Tkachuk as well, and I think if Marner was the main attraction he would shine in Ottawa.

Good? Bad? Who adds? One for one? Gotta be a fifth round pick in there somewhere.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I think Ottawa says no given contract and that he has the C.
I wonder if the NHL were to do a league wide draft who would get taken first though. I just think Brady is the better player for Ottawa and also Brady could be a better fit for the leafs.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Bad for both teams. Tkachuk fit perfectly with Ottawa and Marner fit perfectly with Toronto and Matthews.

Tkachuk will die with Ottawa, i'm pretty sure of that!

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
If I’m an expansion team I think it’s pretty clear you go with Marner, but Brady means too much to this team and city for me to not choose him. We basically built our identity around him. Marner’s skill and production at this point doesn’t offset that for me.

I also don’t see Brady as a play driver (not that he has to be) the same way I see Marner is. Marner can sometimes just take over a game, and I think you need that. With Stützle, Batherson, Norris, we can get the most out of what Brady does without expecting him to carry play.

100 point, PKing wingers don’t grow on trees. If Marner’s contract was 1m less for 1 more year this isn’t even close.

Last edited:
Reactions: Unbiased Fan

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
If I’m an expansion team I think it’s pretty clear you go with Marner, but Brady means too much to this team and city for me to not choose him. We basically built our identity around him. Marner’s skill and production at this point doesn’t offset that for me.

I also don’t see Brady as a play driver (not that he has to be) the same way I see Marner is. Marner can sometimes just take over a game, and I think you need that. With Stützle, Batherson, Norris, we can get the most out of what Brady does without expecting him to carry play.

100 point, PKing wingers don’t grow on trees. If Marner’s contract was 1m less for 1 more year this isn’t even close.

I don't think you can ignore that Brady is a 2018 draft pick while Marner is a 2015 draft pick. Still some developing going on (for both but moreso for Tkachuk).

Reactions: Akrapovince

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Both teams say no. Marner is a huge play maker for us and plays on both special teams. He makes Matthews that much better, I don't think Tkachuk can set up like Marner can.

Brady wears the C, just signed an extension, no chance they move him.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
In a nod to the "vs" thread in the general forum which seems to have fans of both teams chiming in, what does the rest of the fanbase' think?

Personally, as stated over there, if the Leafs weren't so top heavy with Mathews/Tavares/Nylander I would want to keep Marner. Some nights I see prime Gilmour potential with him....

..having said that...I see a lot I like in Tkachuk as well, and I think if Marner was the main attraction he would shine in Ottawa.

Good? Bad? Who adds? One for one? Gotta be a fifth round pick in there somewhere.

Lulz no...

patriotfan

Jun 8, 2014

no deal marner much better player than brady k. absolutly no...............

Jun 27, 2005
Ignoring contracts and captainship and team needs etc, Tkachuk is one level down from Marner. Tkachuk is at the Nylander level.

Reactions: Twine Tickler

Jun 27, 2005
Nah Tkachuk is a lot closer to Marner than Nylander

No. If you want to knock Nylander down a level, maybe, I guess it depends on how many levels you have but Tkachuk will never be on Marners level. Neither will Matthew Tkachuk but that's for another day.

Ledge And Dairy

No. If you want to knock Nylander down a level, maybe, I guess it depends on how many levels you have but Tkachuk will never be on Marners level. Neither will Matthew Tkachuk but that's for another day.
Matthew Tkachuk has been on or Marner's level for years now, if not better. Saying Brady will never reach that level is a pretty bold claim considering how good he is and how much he seems to improve each year

Glacious

Dec 28, 2009
Matthew Tkachuk has been on or Marner's level for years now, if not better. Saying Brady will never reach that level is a pretty bold claim considering how good he is and how much he seems to improve each year

Matthew Tkachuk has never been on Marner's level, are you serious? There's like a 70 point difference in career point totals in roughly the same number of games. Tkachuk has only bested Marner's lowest seasonal point total once. And as much as people shit on Marner for his playoff performances, Tkachuk's have been worse. And that's ignoring defensive/pk play.

I would say that Matthew is at least a tier below. Maybe lower

Ledge And Dairy

Matthew Tkachuk has never been on Marner's level, are you serious? There's like a 70 point difference in career point totals in roughly the same number of games. Tkachuk has only bested Marner's lowest seasonal point total once. And as much as people shit on Marner for his playoff performances, Tkachuk's have been worse. And that's ignoring defensive/pk play.

I would say that Matthew is at least a tier below. Maybe lower
Ah yes, the points, the only thing that defines a player.

Im really glad you brought up defensive play though, Tkachuk's has been better for quite a while now

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad