Confirmed with Link: Avs sign Evan Rodrigues - 1 year 2M AAV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

hoserthehorrible

Jul 15, 2003
Colorado
Is this guy a blackhole or what? Are Rantanen, Nichushkin, Newhook, or Lehkonen going to a lot of world feeding him but its a one way street?

I'm sure the others would like to be fed as well.

I've seen numerous Penguins fans comment that he loves to shoot.
I've seen multiple comments that Erod likes to carry the puck and shoot the puck. Not a bad thing I suppose unless you're on a line with someone like MacKinnon or possibly Rantanan.

If the Avs re going to try Erod as the 2C I think it's important what wingers they put with him. Lke I said MacKinnon likely wouldn't work at all if the statements about Erod are true. Nuke and or Lek might be good options though.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Pretty fine with him as a third line center and we make a move for 2C, don’t love him as our 2C as some here are pegging him to be. In fact I’d rather try and get Rantanen to be a 2C than see ERod be our 2C.

Landy-MacK-Nuke
Lehkonen-Rantanen-Newhook
Meyers-ERod-JTC
Cogs-Helm-LOC

Reactions: John Mandalorian

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Bednar likes to have a RHS in the bumper spot on PP1 so that'll probably be ERod's job to lose.

In fact, I'd hazard a guess that a spot on PP1 may have been a crucial factor in him signing with the Avs on a cheap one year deal. He'll have a good opportunity to put up points in that role (just like Kadri did) and earn himself a sizeable payday next year.

----------- Landeskog ------------
Mack ---- ERod --- Rantanen
-------------- Makar -----------------

His slapshot also gives you the option of putting him in the MacKinnon spot on the 2nd unit, with Newhook shifting to the RW (and Lehkonen in the bumper on PP1).

---------- Nuke ---------------
ERod - JTC -- Newhook
---- Toews/G/Byram ----

How to handle the Dmen PP minutes will be interesting, as Byram (or rather, his agent) might start to agitate if he's not getting enough opportunities to out up points in a contract year.

I suspect Bednar will opt for the approach he had in the playoffs where Byram saw tonnes of icetime at 5v5 to compensate for less PP minutes. And then going with a two Dmen approach on PP2 with Toews + G/Byram.
If ERod is on PP1 in the bumper I imagine hes going to be tipping a bunch of shots or the puck is going to Mikkos side alot more to set up the one timer to him. I would much prefer ERod on PP2 and have Newhook in the Kadri spot to one time Mackinnons bad passes.

I've seen multiple comments that Erod likes to carry the puck and shoot the puck. Not a bad thing I suppose unless you're on a line with someone like MacKinnon or possibly Rantanan.

If the Avs re going to try Erod as the 2C I think it's important what wingers they put with him. Lke I said MacKinnon likely wouldn't work at all if the statements about Erod are true. Nuke and or Lek might be good options though.
Sounds alot like Burakovsky

Reactions: Vk1ing

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

It does, and probably explains why he has good underlying numbers despite not being particularly great defensively (though probably better than Burky was), nor a player possessed of great hockey sense.

That's fine, a discount Burakovsky with a right-handed heavy shot who can actually play center in a pinch is not a bad pickup at all.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
It does, and probably explains why he has good underlying numbers despite not being particularly great defensively (though probably better than Burky was), nor a player possessed of great hockey sense.

That's fine, a discount Burakovsky with a right-handed heavy shot who can actually play center in a pinch is not a bad pickup at all.
especially at 2 mill for 1 yr. I see no downside to this.

Reactions: The Moops

hoserthehorrible

Jul 15, 2003
Colorado
If ERod is on PP1 in the bumper I imagine hes going to be tipping a bunch of shots or the puck is going to Mikkos side alot more to set up the one timer to him. I would much prefer ERod on PP2 and have Newhook in the Kadri spot to one time Mackinnons bad passes.

Yeah, I suppose some similarities.

Bura has an excellent shot but there were times I thought he should have shot and didn't. Sounds / looks like Erod likes to shoot all the time. Both have a good shot. I'd say that Bura is a better sniper while Erod likes to shoot every chance he gets.

Sound like Erod likes to carry the puck "a lot". I don't recall Bura over-carrying the puck a lot... maybe I just didn't notice.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Yeah, I suppose some similarities.

Bura has an excellent shot but there were times I thought he should have shot and didn't. Sounds / looks like Erod likes to shoot all the time. Both have a good shot. I'd say that Bura is a better sniper while Erod likes to shoot every chance he gets.

Sound like Erod likes to carry the puck "a lot". I don't recall Bura over-carrying the puck a lot... maybe I just didn't notice.
Bura carried the puck into the zone alot. Something he is actually decently good at...its after he enters the zone with the puck that leave you wanting from his dumbass.

Reactions: The Moops

the_fan

Have we traded Mikko yet?
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Maybe he's not the ideal 2 C, but if he scores 50 points, just 7 more points than last year which is very doable, that's a solid 2C production. I mean before this year, Kadri was pretty much a 50-60 point player. He just had a crazy career year.

ANewHope

Nuggets|Avs|Broncos
May 26, 2011

From what some Pens fans are saying he’s actually better as a C than at wing. Not just a guy who can play it in pinch.

I saw a few games early in the year and he looked like a legit C but that would have been during his hot streak.

hoserthehorrible

Jul 15, 2003
Colorado
Bura carried the puck into the zone alot. Something he is actually decently good at...its after he enters the zone with the puck that leave you wanting from his dumbass.
If Erod likes to carry the puck, and assuming he's good at it, I wonder if he can be plan 1b to Mac carrying it into the Ozone on the power play. The Avs PP entry was almost always a drop pass and Mac carrying into the Ozone. When Mac wasn't carrying the puck their Ozone entries were quite a bit worse. Perhaps Erod can help change it up there.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

Jeez man, who the hell you been watching then? :laugh: You don't recall all those times he dipsy-doodled his way around the attacking zone only to get himself cornered up high and throw a nonsensical pass along the blue line that got picked off?

Also, he was quite good at carrying the puck through the neutral zone. It was one of the few things he did consistently well and a big reason why his underlying numbers were almost always good.

hoserthehorrible

Jul 15, 2003
Colorado
Jeez man, who the hell you been watching then? :laugh: You don't recall all those times he dipsy-doodled his way around the attacking zone only to get himself cornered up high and throw a nonsensical pass along the blue line that got picked off?

Also, he was quite good at carrying the puck through the neutral zone. It was one of the few things he did consistently well and a big reason why his underlying numbers were almost always good.
Lighten up Francis!

• Haha
Reactions: Bender

hoserthehorrible

Jul 15, 2003
Colorado
Well I mean, if you go to Shotgun's for the articles, that's your business.
I never said Bura didn't carry the puck. I also never said he wasn't good at carrying through the neutral zone. I never said he didn't carry the puck too much sometimes.

I simply said that "I don't recall" Bura "over-carrying the puck a lot". If he did then so be it. No need to make a federal case about it.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
From what some Pens fans are saying he’s actually better as a C than at wing. Not just a guy who can play it in pinch.

I saw a few games early in the year and he looked like a legit C but that would have been during his hot streak.

Yeah. This makes the Burakovsky comparison somewhat problematic. Having a blackhole at C creates more challenges than at wing.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I never said Bura didn't carry the puck. I also never said he wasn't good at carrying through the neutral zone. I never said he didn't carry the puck too much sometimes.

I simply said that "I don't recall" Bura "over-carrying the puck a lot". If he did then so be it. No need to make a federal case about it.

c05e74f7eb9a00e6c61da622bdbef4bf73b59bf4.gif

Yeah. This makes the Burakovsky comparison somewhat problematic. Having a blackhole at C creates more challenges than at wing.

I wouldn't really call Burakovsky or Rodrigues a "Black Hole" at any position.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
He doesn't share the puck. The puck goes to him and it's never seen by anyone else again.

Well, I wouldn't put it THAT strongly. Burakovsky certainly shared the puck, he just tended to pick bad times during which to share it, sometimes forcing passes that weren't there. I don't think he gobbled up the puck and never gave it back though.

Reactions: lionsDen

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO

“I like playing center because you get the puck on your stick more, you’re more free flowing, get crossovers onto you and attack the game with more speed,” Rodrigues said. “But being wing you have a little more freedom to be creative offensively. They both have their perks. Even the difference between playing right wing and left wing, it’s different, but I enjoy all three positions.

“Whatever I’m needed for I relish the opportunity and try to take advantage of it.”

nammerus

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site

For someone with blinders on and can't pass, his passing metrics are surprisingly good (except on the PP):

1663099111097.png

There's also a good article written by the Pen's Athletic guy talking about how his (2021) early season metrics matched the eye test, especially for zone entry offence. Looks like his style of play was tailor made for the Avs:

Reactions: hoserthehorrible

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad