Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
I did not watch much of Quincey last year. But I have not heard good things from DRW fans that I know. And looking at various reference materials, he does not look good on paper (screen). His HERO chart is worse than Tyutin's. Worse than Holden's. Worse than Weircioch's (for possession at least) And only marginally better than Guenin's. His possession numbers are crap for a top 4 guy. And his shot suppression is horrid for a supposed "shut-down" defender.

And it all happened last season. The year prior, he was not that bad. Decent even in a top 4 role. But he hit a wall. Hard.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Give me Jakub Nakladal over Quincy.

Rather have the RH shot depth if they are going to go get more dmen to compete with what is already there

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Meloche, Clurman and Corbett as well. And I'm pretty sure Mironov is a left handed RD. But it's not like they, nor Clark, would influence the NHL roster this coming year. EJ and Barrie are it.

AvsFan2123

Jan 21, 2014
Illinois
Meloche, Clurman and Corbett as well. And I'm pretty sure Mironov is a left handed RD. But it's not like they, nor Clark, would influence the NHL roster this coming year. EJ and Barrie are it.

Yea I was just going for the NHL/AHL depth. Meloche is obviously going to help a lot, but I just wish they brought in like a Gryba or someone of that #6-8 caliber for depth.

I honestly hope Corbett gets a shot in SA and has a decent year and gets brought back.

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
Seems like just yesterday the Avs had way too many RHDs. :laugh:

Even up front we're low on righties...

We only really have Comeau and Iggy on RW, as Mack is playing Centre and Grimaldi might not even make the team...Everyone else is a leftie

And I've been preaching Gryba since the draft. If EJ or Barrie ever get hurt (or suspended), we only have 1 RHD (not calling up Clark)

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Very few defenseman play as well on their off side. Most can do it in a pinch. Some can do it well, and some prefer it, but they're the exception to the rule. There's a reason most coach's like their lefty-righty approach. It's not a non issue.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
It was funny Babcock talking the other day about not liking righties on the left side.

there tend to be more lefties than righties. some lefties have to play on the right and thus get used to it. righties rarely have to play left as there is bigger demand for them on the right.

babcock values handedness a lot too as his zone exits rely a lot on quick, short, accurate passes and those are lot harder to do on backhand.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
I've never quite grasped the RHD-LHD thing. If you've got a RHD playing LD and a LHD playing RD, aren't their point shots generally going to be better targeted at the net, especially on one-timers?

If it's a weakness in defensive stick play, I'm not sure I understand how or why.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I've never quite grasped the RHD-LHD thing. If you've got a RHD playing LD and a LHD playing RD, aren't their point shots generally going to be better targeted at the net, especially on one-timers?

If it's a weakness in defensive stick play, I'm not sure I understand how or why.

they are but that is pretty much the only advantage. it would only give advantage if the puck came from opposite side of ice, like on D to D passes. if the puck came to the point from down low and the same side, there might not be a change to shoot it right away, at least it isn't as easy. holding the line on your backhand is also harder than on your forehand.

with defensive stick play (as in without the puck) i personally never noted any difference. but i know many feel that it's easier to defend against the rush 1on1 on your on-side.

the bigger problem is with the puck, zone exits. on your offside, the back is turned more against where the puck should be going. can't see as well where you should pass, now control it as it has to be done with backhand when there is little time and space. this isn't as big thing for defensive dman who can't move the puck at all. it's off the glass and out/turnover for them anyway. that's why the pylon of the pairing is usually the one who is on his off-side. like it was with barrie and guenin.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
There's a lot of exceptions to that rule

There really isn't. There's some that do it well, and that makes people think lots of guys can play up to expectations on their off side. It's still a small percentage. The vast majority play best on their true side. Mostly because they've played their entire life that way.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
There are a number of lefties that play right pretty well (the lack of good right shots forces a number to play right over their careers), but it is rare that righties play the left well. What really matters is how the Avs line up. Barrie played left a lot in junior and was pretty good there, but he hasn't played left enough in the NHL to know what he can really do there (I think he'd be good at it). Beauch is probably one of the most versatile lefties in the league. IMO he is everybit as good on the right as he is on the left... so any top 4 combination should have 2 of Beauch, EJ, and Barrie on the right.

Now on the bottom pairing it is a bit trickier. Bigras played about half of his time in junior on the right and is just about as good there in most ways. His offense suffers a bit. Wier has played the right side with some success in the NHL. Z shouldn't. Tyutin is probably the guy to play the right simply because he is paired with Z. He isn't nearly as good on the right as he is on the left, but to start the season Z should play with Tyutin to get up to speed. Later in the season Tyutin can be moved out or on the left with somebody (hopefully with Z moving up the lineup).

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
With Roy gone, I'm more optimistic we could maybe see:

Barrie-EJ
Bigras-Beauch
Zadorov-Tyutin

Gelinas and Weir in the press box.

the_fan

Have we traded Mikko yet?
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
With Roy gone, I'm more optimistic we could maybe see:

Barrie-EJ
Bigras-Beauch
Zadorov-Tyutin

Gelinas and Weir in the press box.

That's horrible

RH-RH
LH-LH
LH-LH

Barrie, Beauchemin playing off position and Bigras is not top 4 ready.

They'll never go for those d pairings

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
That's horrible

RH-RH
LH-LH
LH-LH

Barrie, Beauchemin playing off position and Bigras is not top 4 ready.

They'll never go for those d pairings

Beauchemin was fantastic on the right side in Anaheim. Helped Lindholm with probably his best development year to date.

the_fan

Have we traded Mikko yet?
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Beauchemin was fantastic on the right side in Anaheim. Helped Lindholm with probably his best development year to date.

Still don't think they'll go with those pairings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad