Speculation: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Related Topics 2016-17 Part XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Lol the article is just Mark Spector living in the "now". I never take a thing he says seriously. This is the same man who actively tried convincing all of Edmonton that what Dallas Eakins was doing with Nail Yakupov and the rest of the young Oilers players was a good thing and that he was beneficial to their development.

Mark Spector is clueless.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
Holy crap did we miss the boat at the deadline. Offers this summer will be significantly worse for Duchene.

More from the article:

If "our" here = most of the Sportsnet guys then that means that Sakic is seen as a very bad GM around the league.

Well he is a very bad GM. IMO that isn't in question. He doesn't have, or hasn't had any vision for this organization.Either those were Roy's decisions and he agreed, or he let other people choose the direction this team went. That is a bad GM.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
'Lanche interested in Euro UFA David Kampf according to Friedman

Probably going to lose out to the Blackhawks.

Lol the article is just Mark Spector living in the "now". I never take a thing he says seriously. This is the same man who actively tried convincing all of Edmonton that what Dallas Eakins was doing with Nail Yakupov and the rest of the young Oilers players was a good thing and that he was beneficial to their development.

Mark Spector is clueless.

I think I have to side with him on this one since all he really did was just state the facts. Duchene has been awful and his value has probably taken a hit.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I wonder if Avs are trying to do a reclamation project in Mueller for one of Avs reclmations...maybe Bigras *wide speculation*?

A season from hell hasn't turned Bigras into a reclamation project. If the team moves him with duchene in a trade for a hanifin / Sergachev +, that's one thing. But he's not a reclamation project

Last edited:

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Probably going to lose out to the Blackhawks.

I think I have to side with him on this one since all he really did was just state the facts. Duchene has been awful and his value has probably taken a hit.

No doubt it's taken a hit, but I still don't listen to a thing Mark Spector says.

Personally I just think there are far too many relics involved in mainstream media in the NHL. He's one of them.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
They are going to use it to drive the price down otherwise they'd be very, very bad at negotiating.
Ok maybe but then Can't Sakic use Iggy's quick turnaround with the Kings to show that Duchene should regain his scoring touch with a new team? I'm actually happy Iggy is doing very well in LA. It proves to me (and other GMs in the league) that Duchene's year is an anomaly not him breaking down. Go Iggy!!!!

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I don't think GMs see the game the same way as casual fans do. Fans always have a "What have you done for me lately?" attitude towards players, and that can turn around real quick for good or bad. GMs take the view of "What can you do for me in the future?" Because that's their business, after all. Past performance can predict future performance, of course, but not just the immediate past. Duchene has been in the NHL since he was 18, is only a year removed from a 30 goal season, and is 26 without a significant injury history that would shorten his prime. GMs look at the big picture and have longer memories.

AnimalMother73

Sep 17, 2009
Agreed that GMs look a things differently but a player's mental toughness does factor into the decision which compromises Duchene's value. I absolutely believe his productivity would return in a big way if he was on a deeper team but no longer see him as a go to player at all.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
No GM is gonna risk giving a potential top pairing young dman on the chance that Matt Duchene might return to himself. At the back of their mind, they'll be knowing that Duchene might return to his old mentally fragile self. At this point, a ROR return is the best-case scenario for him in my mind.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Easy to be Chiarelli when you are hired and pretty much the first thing you get to do is to draft McDavid.

If that didn't happen, Edmonton would still be decidedly average.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I know Edmonton got lucky and all, but you could say that about every team that sucked at the right time. Pittsburgh with Crosby/Malkin, Washington with Ovechkin/Backstrom, Chicago with Kane/Toews, Islanders with Tavares, etc.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I know Edmonton got lucky and all, but you could say that about every team that sucked at the right time. Pittsburgh with Crosby/Malkin, Washington with Ovechkin/Backstrom, Chicago with Kane/Toews, Islanders with Tavares, etc.

- Kane/Toews were not luck... neither are generational talents similar to Malkin,Ovy,McDavid, or Crosby.

- Pens rebuild is actually pretty crappy and they've wasted many of Crosby/Malkins prime years.

- Washington same thing.

- Isles are average with or without JT. Who is not on the same level as Kane or the other big boys.

Matheus

Jan 22, 2015
Rio Grande Do Sul
My point is. We need q real coach. Bednar must go after this horror show this year. In his command All our stars look like cheap. If we continue with him next season we can draft Patrick + hire mcdavid + Kane and still find a way to lose.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
^ My point is it's all luck. Suck in the wrong year you get Yakupov, suck in the right year you get Crosby/McDavid.

My point was that it is not luck...The best of team of that list do not have a generational talent. Half of them don't even have Stanley cups. Rebuild sole through the draft has always been overrated. Mind you.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
In a world where you could end up with a Kucherov or you can end up with a Heard, in the 2nd round ...im sorry its just pure dumb luck

thats why you need as many picks as you can stomach.

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
Stupid hypothetical question but what would you say...

Vegas looks around at expansion draft options. Lots of depth available at defense. Plenty of intriguing goalie options. Some decent wingers out there. But center? Center quality in the expansion draft looks like it is going to be downright terrible.

Vegas eyes Patrick or Hischier in the entry draft but end up with pick #3. Avs, with typical Avs luck, end up at #4.

Looking for a top line center and a player with some speed and flash they can sell in their inaugural season, Vegas turns its attention to Duchene. They desperately need a #1 center and scoring and having just turned 26, Duchene can be both a short and long term solution. And with a cap floor to meet, salary is zero concern.

Vegas offers the #3 pick straight up. They know they are buying low (after all the two marque center prospects will likely be off the board in what is universally regarded as a "meh" draft anyways) but Sakic is feeling the pressure...Matty's absolute tank job after the trade deadline has made already unappealing offers even worse. Top offers start to become things like Ekholm or Carlo straight up - no Hanifin, no package of multiple top players and prospects.

This being the Avs - we'd end up with two top 4 picks...but neither Patrick nor Hischier in yet another "wrong draft year to suck" especially if you need a top defender. Then again, management sees a chance to gain financial flexibility, lose a player whose heart seems no longer in it and can sell the duo selected at #3 and #4 as the "new generation" along with MacK, Ranta, Jost, Compher, Zads, etc.

Would you do it and who would you pick at 3 and 4?

StLAvsFan

Feb 8, 2015
Ok maybe but then Can't Sakic use Iggy's quick turnaround with the Kings to show that Duchene should regain his scoring touch with a new team? I'm actually happy Iggy is doing very well in LA. It proves to me (and other GMs in the league) that Duchene's year is an anomaly not him breaking down. Go Iggy!!!!

A big part of Iggy's "turnaround" in LA is the fact that he's actually skating hard & competing for a change, unlike in Colorado where #12 was perfectly content to endlessly glide around in 3rd gear looking to cherry pick the occasional goal now & then. Dude was lazy as a sloth as an Av.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad