Speculation: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Related Topics 2016-17 Part XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeniusSuperior

Sep 30, 2010
From a page or two ago when the topic was about team style and direction to build, here's a player's tribune article by Jim Rutherford where he does talk about just that.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.th...ford-what-you-dont-know-about-being-a-gm/amp/

Basically, you can build either way, but you have to build a team identity and stick to it.

I think a huge problem with out current team is just this. We had the young, fast team and brought in slow and big guys. Our core is young and fast in Duchene, Mack, Etc, but then we go bring in big "leaders" like Iginla and Beauchemin which potentially altered the core, or maybe added a second one. It needs to be the core that leads the team on the ice. Bringing in the old guys changed that.

Bringing in the smaller talents within this season has already shown great results. I really want to see that continue this offseason.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
From a page or two ago when the topic was about team style and direction to build, here's a player's tribune article by Jim Rutherford where he does talk about just that.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.th...ford-what-you-dont-know-about-being-a-gm/amp/

Basically, you can build either way, but you have to build a team identity and stick to it.

I think a huge problem with out current team is just this. We had the young, fast team and brought in slow and big guys. Our core is young and fast in Duchene, Mack, Etc, but then we go bring in big "leaders" like Iginla and Beauchemin which potentially altered the core, or maybe added a second one. It needs to be the core that leads the team on the ice. Bringing in the old guys changed that.

Bringing in the smaller talents within this season has already shown great results. I really want to see that continue this offseason.

I agree, we completely went away from our fast and skilled way when it was successful. That to me didn't make much sense and time has proven that it wasn't the right way to go. Finding and creating our identity is key to success and hopefully Sakic as well as the team sees this now.

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
I'm all for the Pittsburgh model of last year...speed speed speed

FORWARDS (13)
Right wing: M. Rantanen ($894,167) - N. Patrick ($925,000) - S. Andrighetto ($1,000,000) - T. Wingels ($2,500,000)
Centre: N. MacKinnon ($6,300,000) - M. Duchene ($6,000,000) - J. Compher ($925,000) - M. Grigorenko ($1,000,000) - R. White ($1,000,000)
Left wing: G. Landeskog ($5,571,429) - T. Jost ($916,667) - A. Greer ($741,667) - M. Nieto ($1,000,000)

DEFENSE (8)
Right: E. Johnson ($6,000,000) - T. Barrie ($5,500,000) - C. Franson ($3,000,000) - P. Postma ($1,000,000)
Left: N. Zadorov ($4,000,000) - K. Alzner ($5,500,000) - M. Barberio ($750,000) - F. Beauchemin ($4,500,000)

GOALTENDER (2)
S. Varlamov ($5,900,000) - C. Pickard ($1,000,000)

BUYOUTS
J. Colborne ($833,333) - B. Comeau ($800,000) - B. Stuart ($0)

EXPANSION DRAFT
C. Soderberg ($4,750,000)

DETAILS
Roster Size: 23
NHL Salary Cap: $73,000,000
Cap Hit: $68,090,596
Cap Space: $4,909,404

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Teams don't buyout players unless they need the cap room do they? I don't think we'll spend to the cap anytime soon so we won't be buying out players for fun.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
Teams don't buyout players unless they need the cap room do they? I don't think we'll spend to the cap anytime soon so we won't be buying out players for fun.

Well you can save a 1/3rd of a player's salary if you buy them out. Is it worth it depends on several factors.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
It also spreads out the hit for twice as long, so f you don't need the money now it's pointless to tie your hands in the future. How many people has this org bought out? Stuart was a special kind of situation.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
It would be dumb beyond belief to be stuck with phantom cap hits later on when we need the space because we needlessly bought out players during the rebuilding years.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Friedman says we are in the running to sign Czech forward David Kampf

Hmmm...

2013-14: "Kampf was ranked 36th amongst European skaters in Central Scouting's final rankings prior to the 2014 NHL Draft."

2014-15: "2015 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #57 by NHL Central Scouting (EU Skaters)"

Then he went undrafted

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
More about him: "This season with Piráti Chomutov, Kampf recorded 15 goals and 16 assists in 52 games. That’s not great, but it’s a big improvement from the year before, when he put up just nine goals and four assists in 42 games."

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Iggy getting praise and Sportsnet tanking Dutchy's value even more. Great article :sarcasm:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/west-coast-bias-nhlers-marvel-jarome-iginlas-toughness/

Holy crap did we miss the boat at the deadline. Offers this summer will be significantly worse for Duchene.

More from the article:

Colorado needs a president who knows hockey. A guy like Bob Nicholson, who arrived in Edmonton, watched the operation for a while, then told the owner, “We need a proper, experienced GM, who can hire a proper coach and scouting staff.”

Joe Sakic is that former great player who is not a great GM, in our opinion.

If "our" here = most of the Sportsnet guys then that means that Sakic is seen as a very bad GM around the league.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I know a lot of people don't care for scouting updates but Avs scouts have been in San Jose to catch the games vs Manitoba last two nights.

I wonder if Avs are trying to do a reclamation project in Mueller for one of Avs reclmations...maybe Bigras *wide speculation*?

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
It's lazy writing by Spector IMO and not particularly interesting. The Avs players are bad, Joe Sakic is bad, blah, blah, blah, blah.

I would find some actual insight interesting at this point instead of media grasping at low-hanging fruit and stating the obvious in many cases.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I wonder if Avs are trying to do a reclamation project in Mueller for one of Avs reclmations...maybe Bigras *wide speculation*?

Hmm... Mueller seems like a reasonable target for the Avs. Hope not for Bigras though. Wouldn't be out of the question they move him for something still.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I think the Avs are looking at Winnipeg. Seems the scout's area is SJ. Milwaukee in SJ produced the Girard McLeod trade

The media shilling for other teams. Shocking. No rational GM is going to decide value over a two month span on the worst team in modern history. Duchene can help his cause playing in the WC so let's hope he does that.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
It's lazy writing by Spector IMO and not particularly interesting. The Avs players are bad, Joe Sakic is bad, blah, blah, blah, blah.

I would find some actual insight interesting at this point instead of media grasping at low-hanging fruit and stating the obvious in many cases.

Well did you know that, in "their" opinion, Sakic was a bad GM? I didn't. I've heard fans saying it but never heard journalists openly stating it like that, especially using words like "our" opinion, like it's a shared opinion amongst his peers.

member 116861

'Lanche interested in Euro UFA David Kampf according to Friedman

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
No rational GM is going to decide value over a two month span on the worst team in modern history.

They are going to use it to drive the price down otherwise they'd be very, very bad at negotiating.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Hmm... Mueller seems like a reasonable target for the Avs. Hope not for Bigras though. Wouldn't be out of the question they move him for something still.

If they aren't going to give him a shot it would be smart to move Bigras now before his value craters. If they had moved Siemens two years ago when they wrote him off they could have got something for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad