Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 17-18 Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
There's way to much risk associated in offer sheets right now with the parity in the league. Teams are separated by so little that a team can go from being a bottom dweller one year to being a playoff hockey team the very next season, and vice versa. Look at the Leafs in 15/16 and then 16/17. And on the flip side look at the Flames, who went from playoff team to picking 6th overall, back to playoff team the year after.

There's to much risk in losing draft picks in 2 consecutive drafts for a player that's not a game changer.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
Mt Holly, NC
I have to give some credit to Jared Bednar for the way this team is playing right now.

There's a few reasons for the turn around this year. The chemistry change with the massive turnover from the start of last year to now is a big reason, as is getting a great puck mover like Girard, and Varly returning to form along with Bernier.

That said, Bednar seems to have gotten everyone on the same page. They're finally playing like a "team." Not a group of individuals. I think the poor leadership was a big factor in that, but bottom line is, Bednar got them regrouped and believing in themselves.

Their stars are leading the way with Nate, Landy, and EJ. The team is playing hard every shift, and eliminating more and more mistakes as each game goes by it seems. They are definitely trending in the right direction, and Bednar deserves some credit for that.

That was how he was touted coming into the league and why I was so excited to get him at first. Somehow he gets everyone to buy in. Hopefully this pans out long term.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Is Victor Rask a guy we take a chance on? Not sure what's happening right now but I've always been a big fan. Send them Ghetto + something small? Doubt anything happens, just spit balling
Doubt they'd sell low on him, plus he's signed to a nice long term low cap hit deal. Can't see them moving him unless they got an upgrade.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
Doubt they'd sell low on him, plus he's signed to a nice long term low cap hit deal. Can't see them moving him unless they got an upgrade.
I agree, just seems to have fallen out of favor. They are also a cash-strapped team if I'm not mistaken and will need to re-sign some impact guys shortly that I thought Ghetto would be a nice piece for them as a replacement. Especially if they want to add a big fish up front in the near future. Wishful thinking though, I know.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
We will need some grit and size eventually, as I don't think just Greer, Compher, Bowers and Toninato will be enough to fill that need in the future.
Add Landy, Meloche, Timmins and Zadorov. Mack and Rants are quite big, too. We aren't that small, really.

Would be nice to get a sandpaper goal scorer in the top 6 but every single team in the NHL is looking for those. That's why I want Tkachuk with our 1st and a LHD with the Sens'.

Last edited:

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
If Greer can continue developing a good offensive game and then translate that offense to the NHL, he'd be a fantastic sandpaper guy for this team.
I'm not seeing a future top 6 guy in him but if he could become Antoine Roussel I'd be very happy. Bottom 6er/2nd unit PP guy and a super useful pest that knows how to get under the other team's skin when it counts.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
For offersheets I don't think it has to be your own draft pick, it just has to be your draft pick or an earlier draft pick to be used.

Offer sheet has to be your own picks and cannot be from another team. This was debated by the union to allow more teams to pursue RFA. Not every team has all their picks, so an offer sheet is extremely rare unless it's from a stronger team that would pick lower in the draft. It'll never work for a rebuilding team like the AVs.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Yeah I don't like Greer nearly as much as everyone else here does. I'd be very happy if he's a solid middle sixer who learns not to take bad penalties.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I'm not sold on his offense translating to the NHL either honestly. Just suggesting we do have a guy who potentially could fill that role for us down the road.

I think he's going to be a decent NHLer at the very least because he skates well, is responsible in his own zone and he's got that pest mentality that can be quite effective. But so far nothing in his time at the NHL would suggest he's going to be an offensive threat very often.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
If Greer can continue developing a good offensive game and then translate that offense to the NHL, he'd be a fantastic sandpaper guy for this team.

Greer would be amazing on the bottom 6. He just doesn't have the speed, shooting or puck handling skills to compete with the faster and more talented players. He'll be an excellent grinder wearing down the other team. Fortunately, with Kamenev, Compher, Toninato and 2018 Draft, they can fill the grinding roles more effectively on the 3rd and 4th lines.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
The thing that worries me about Greer is that he looked A LOT faster during his 5-game stint last season than he has this season. Night and day to me, really. He needs to stay fast if he's going to be a useful NHL player because if you want to be a pest and be hard on the forecheck finishing your checks, you can't be a step behind the play all the time which he was this season.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Something to keep an eye on regarding Ottawa is Craig Anderson. The best situation is Ottawa keeps their 2018 pick and Anderson continues his decline. Ottawa has no back-up plan for Craig Anderson and he's on the first year of a two year deal. Their hopes ride on Anderson playing like he's 34 not 36/37 as Mike Condon isn't a starter and Marcus Hogberg isn't going to be seeing regular NHL ice time for two more seasons. Up front Ottawa has the players to succeed but in net it's becoming a big question mark.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I see Greer as a 3rd liner with additional minutes as part of the 2nd PP unit planted right in front of the goalie deflecting pucks and blinding the goalie. Greer is also very good at getting the other team to take bad penalties. He just need to keep his temper down. He also has very good speed but still need to work on his first few steps and acceleration.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
Yeah I don't like Greer nearly as much as everyone else here does. I'd be very happy if he's a solid middle sixer who learns not to take bad penalties.

I'm happy with just about any prospect becoming a solid middle six. It's a very good outcome unless you are a Mack or McDavid level prospect.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
If he continue to struggle and Calgary sours on him, I'd like for the Avs to attempt to acquire Sam Bennett...mostly for a line of Bennett-Toninato-Yakupov, or Tony and the Rejects.

I wouldn't wanna pay too much for him at all though.

Calgary fans swear he'll still be a 60+ point guy though.. smoking something good up in Alberta.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
I wouldn't wanna pay too much for him at all though.

Calgary fans swear he'll still be a 60+ point guy though.. smoking something good up in Alberta.

It can be quite interesting listening to the Fan (local radio) that's for sure. I think the radio station is slowly starting to come to terms with him likely peaking at 45 points, but there's still high hopes "he was supposed to go first overall" or "he was drafted just after Draisaital" the dillusion is real up here.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
It can be quite interesting listening to the Fan (local radio) that's for sure. I think the radio station is slowly starting to come to terms with him likely peaking at 45 points, but there's still high hopes "he was supposed to go first overall" or "he was drafted just after Draisaital" the dillusion is real up here.

He was supposed to go in front of Draisaitl. Remember on draft day when experts were comparing him to Doug Gilmour? Both Sams of that class (Reinhart and Bennett) were overhyped and both are extremely disappointing so far.

Buffalo had a monumental tank job that year for...Sam Reinhart. Meh.

Ekblad
Reinhart
Draisatl
Bennett
Dal Colle
Virtanen
Fleury
Nylander
Ehlers
Ritchie

That's a very shitty top 10

Last edited:

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
He was supposed to go in front of Draisaitl. Remember on draft day when experts were comparing him to Doug Gilmour? Both Sams of that class (Reinhart and Bennett) were overhyped and both are extremely disappointing so far.

Buffalo had a monumental tank job that year for...Sam Reinhart. Meh.

Ekblad
Reinhart
Draisatl
Bennett
Dal Colle
Virtanen
Fleury
Nylander
Ehlers
Ritchie

That's a very ****ty top 10

I mean Ekblad, Nylander, Ehlers, Fleury and Draisatl all see to be good or very good NHLers, so half of the top 10.

Maybe being able to do a pull up is a little more important than we thought.....

NHL Draft Prospect Sam Bennett Can’t Do A Single Pull-Up (Video)

Postanin CB Ting

Apr 6, 2012
Posted in the old Dallas game thread by accident. Very stoked that everyone who was starting to doubt, is coming back around on Z.

Biggy.. I am down to trade - with Lindholm, Nemeth, 2018 pick, Miro. None of them bring what Zads can but all will compete for bottom minutes.
Can't see Buffalo, Calgary, Or the Isles giving them up but Biggy + for either Luukkonen - Parsons - Soderstrom would be cool with me.
Luukkonen and Soderstrom can continue to play in Europe this year with our AHL sistuation - this year - not being ideal for goaltender development and playing time.

Sign Yak to 3 years while we're at it please!​

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
With the Avs having depth for once, it is hard to even talk about trades regarding them.

Pretty much everything they need is what every other team would love to has as well. Top pairing defenseman, gritty top-6 forward, goal scoring right wing.

The team seems settled now. I guess we just watch them develop young talent until there is an excess and they can make a move to fill a hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad