Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 17-18 Part VIII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
Seattle

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
The thing that worries me about Greer is that he looked A LOT faster during his 5-game stint last season than he has this season. Night and day to me, really. He needs to stay fast if he's going to be a useful NHL player because if you want to be a pest and be hard on the forecheck finishing your checks, you can't be a step behind the play all the time which he was this season.

I think that was more indecision and confidence than it was any physical limitations. He made it clear he was having a hard time adjusting to a 4th line grinder role.

He was supposed to go in front of Draisaitl. Remember on draft day when experts were comparing him to Doug Gilmour? Both Sams of that class (Reinhart and Bennett) were overhyped and both are extremely disappointing so far.

I wonder if a young prospect compares favorably to Dougie Gilmour if that's not a huge red flag. Similar comparisons were made when Gilbert Brule was picked by the Columbus Blue Jackets (passing on Anze Kopitar in the process). Anyone here can correct me if I'm wrong since I am by no means a DG expert but from what I do remember, he was obviously not a big guy and not wildly talented. He was a 7th-round pick himself y'know, so obviously he didn't wow the scouts back then either, but more than made up for those two deficits with an insane work ethic and relentless play. Only Dougie could make Dougie work.

FTR, I don't see much upside in getting Bennett. Sounds like he continues to be good defensively but the offense for some reason has completely dried up. I suppose if the price is right, whatever, but I'd rather see the Avs promote from within or target a better player.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
I thought bennett was injured and that is why he could not do a pull up?

I hope Duchene starts lighting it up soon or else that trade will sour pretty quickly in the NHL. It has satisfied my trade craving enough for now.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I think that was more indecision and confidence than it was any physical limitations. He made it clear he was having a hard time adjusting to a 4th line grinder role.

I wonder if a young prospect compares favorably to Dougie Gilmour if that's not a huge red flag. Similar comparisons were made when Gilbert Brule was picked by the Columbus Blue Jackets (passing on Anze Kopitar in the process). Anyone here can correct me if I'm wrong since I am by no means a DG expert but from what I do remember, he was obviously not a big guy and not wildly talented. He was a 7th-round pick himself y'know, so obviously he didn't wow the scouts back then either, but more than made up for those two deficits with an insane work ethic and relentless play. Only Dougie could make Dougie work.
True. Gilmour was small and rather slow but had the heart of a lion and developed very high hockey IQ. You cannot bank on those attributes to draft a top 5 player.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'm not seeing a future top 6 guy in him but if he could become Antoine Roussel I'd be very happy. Bottom 6er/2nd unit PP guy and a super useful pest that knows how to get under the other team's skin when it counts.

The creativity and shooting skills he's shown in the AHL make me believe that there could be a rich man's McGinn there if we can get it out of him.

Brett44

Feb 11, 2017
I think Ryan Murray is avalaible and Colombus need a top 6 center
We have 6 center in JtC, Jost, Kamenev, Kerfoot, Bowers and Soderberg
wich one can be trade for Murray and 1pick 2018?

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
None of these are top 6 ready for a cup contender, which is what they are looking for.

Brett44

Feb 11, 2017
I know but colombus is a young team , may be they are ready to trade for a futur top 6.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I've said this before when someone said Columbus would never give up Bednar. Don't try to predict what Jarmo will and won't do. Especially with Torts behind the bench. He has different player preferences than other coaches as well.

I don't know what they'd give up for him, but I could see them possibly interested in Soda the way he's playing this year.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
It's crazy. I could do one even as computer game playing, weed smoking, lazy 18 year old.

I'm an old man (older than Bubba, I think), and I can knock out a dozen.

I do wonder sometimes about what kind of conditioning hockey people are after. Core/cardio over strength? I get the impression that raw upper body strength isn't too high on the priority list.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I'm an old man (older than Bubba, I think), and I can knock out a dozen.

I do wonder sometimes about what kind of conditioning hockey people are after. Core/cardio over strength? I get the impression that raw upper body strength isn't too high on the priority list.
I thought Bubba was older than time.

Reactions: cgf

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I think the Murray ship has sailed.

I could see Derek Stephan changing teams for the second time in 6 months in a deal involving Murray.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
Seattle
I think the Murray ship has sailed.

I could see Derek Stephan changing teams for the second time in 6 months in a deal involving Murray.

With Girard in the fold, I don't see the need to make any more moves. Now just to play Zads in the correct role.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

CBJ being so young might be interested in Soda and Comeau as depth and experience, but this is not nearly enough for Murray.

Maybe a 1st round pick for both?

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Meh, I actually feel like we should stop acquiring more prospects right now. Let's sort through what we have and find out who to keep and who to move on from. After the season, we should have a clearer picture of what our future looks like at both forward and D. If Girard and Zadorov look good, do we still need another top 4 LD? We can only play two, after all.

As it stands, we can't play all of our forward prospects in top 9 minutes as it is, and somebody's always left out in the cold on D as well. I'd rather just evaluate what we have now and then see if we can't make some trades/draft picks to fill holes that open up.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Meh, I actually feel like we should stop acquiring more prospects right now. Let's sort through what we have and find out who to keep and who to move on from. After the season, we should have a clearer picture of what our future looks like at both forward and D. If Girard and Zadorov look good, do we still need another top 4 LD? We can only play two, after all.

As it stands, we can't play all of our forward prospects in top 9 minutes as it is, and somebody's always left out in the cold on D as well. I'd rather just evaluate what we have now and then see if we can't make some trades/draft picks to fill holes that open up.

Soda and Comeau are having a bounce back season. Soda remains overpaid, with retention might generate a pick or average prospect. Comeau is a UFA and leaving anyways, get something possibly a 3rd or 4th pick.

As for the prospects playing time and draft picks, AVs should continue accumulating. Not every player will develop properly or as scheduled.

More options, greater chance of finding quality players like Compher, Yakupov, Ghetto and Girard. This trickles down to more time for players like Makar, Jost, Kamenev, Timmins, Meloche, Greer, Bowers, Toninato etc. to improve in the minors, get healthy and adapt against better competition. Add 4 picks in 2 round of the 2018 Draft, they will be overflowing with so many prospects. A very good problem to have for a rebuilding team.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Soda and Comeau are having a bounce back season. Soda remains overpaid, with retention might generate a pick or average prospect. Comeau is a UFA and leaving anyways, get something possibly a 3rd or 4th pick.

As for the prospects playing time and draft picks, AVs should continue accumulating. Not every player will develop properly or as scheduled.

More options, greater chance of finding quality players like Compher, Yakupov, Ghetto and Girard. This trickles down to more time for players like Makar, Jost, Kamenev, Timmins, Meloche, Greer, Bowers, Toninato etc. to improve in the minors, get healthy and adapt against better competition. Add 4 picks in 2 round of the 2018 Draft, they will be overflowing with so many prospects. A very good problem to have for a rebuilding team.
Picks are another matter, take on more picks for sure wherever you can get them. But to your second point, if we made another Duchene-type trade today where we took an another defenseman and another center, where would be play them? How could we properly develop or even evaluate the new players, much less the ones we have? Some of them won't work out, of course, but what I'm saying is before we get more, we should figure out which ones will break out and which ones are stagnating. Then we can target more prospects to fill those holes.

Reactions: CobraAcesS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad