Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 17-18 Part VIII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
I'd personally love to see the Ottawa pick in the 11-15 range, that'd be perfect. Have a good shot at another elite defenseman or forward.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I'd personally love to see the Ottawa pick in the 11-15 range, that'd be perfect. Have a good shot at another elite defenseman or forward.

Oh for sure. A great scenario would be Ottawa missing playoffs and having the 11th overall pick, while the Avs end up in a playoff spot and a 16-20 range 1st.

We'd basically be getting a 1st in the range of the draft a lot of us were expecting our own first to be, but get to enjoy the thrill of playoff hockey(And perhaps most importantly the players get the experience of what it takes to be a playoff team).

That'd be a great scenario.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
After tonight, Ottawa's pick is currently 7th overall.

It's interesting though, on the one hand if they finished bottom 10 and deferred the 2018 1st to the 2019 draft, that would suck to not have two picks in the first round of a deep draft like this one.

On the other hand, if the Avs continue on like they have so far this year and squeeze into the playoffs. Perhaps that extra 2019 1st would be some added firepower to use in a trade to get us another piece that could set this team up really well for the 2018/19 season. Maybe it turns out that this team is much further along then we thought with the core we already have, and we dont actually need the extra 1st for another proespect that wont have an impact for 2-3 more years at least. Maybe that can be used as currency to go get a good player now.

The season is still young and lots of teams are bunched together separated by a few points. Consider the AVs win increased their standing 9 spots overall. Ottawa next win, they'll hop up 10 spaces.

Still don't think the AVs make the playoffs, but the experience, fun and comradery will be worth their success. Ottawa tends to start slowly and finish strong, they'll be a top 15 team.

Drafting, the AVs will have a good player in the Top 10 for their pick. Ottawa is unlikely to defer if they performed badly, this only means risking and unprotected selection next year which is also a good draft.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
If we get it, their 2019 1st is unprotected :naughty:
2019 looks to be a pretty decent draft, too. Not like this one of course, but not bad. Getting another 1st there would let us slow-roll quality ELCs into the system over the next several years as we move into the years we plan to compete.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I'd be pretty shocked if Ottawa wasn't a playoff team in 2019 though if they do finish bottom 10 and transfer the pick.

They'll do something desperate in Free Agency IMO to make that team better.

Wouldn't it be fun though if they did transfer the pick after a bad year this year, and then lost Stone in the summer to an offer sheet they couldn't match.

Maybe we could offer sheet Stone using there own 1st round pick :laugh:

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Maybe we could offer sheet Stone using there own 1st round pick :laugh:

Not that it would ever happen and would only occur in keeper fantasy leagues, but the 1st part of the offer sheet compensation would be the Colorado 1st, it can't be one acquired.

So the best part is somehow successfully signing Stone as an RFA would cripple the Sens, make their unprotected 2019 1st better, and make the one we're giving them much worse. Would be cunning, but only occurs in online leagues.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I don't think we should be getting too ahead of ourselves, this season has been awesome but stick to the path, build on it but don't do anything crazy. Continue with the youth.
What? No it hasn't, we just haven't been the worst since the expansion Thrashers.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Not that it would ever happen and would only occur in keeper fantasy leagues, but the 1st part of the offer sheet compensation would be the Colorado 1st, it can't be one acquired.

So the best part is somehow successfully signing Stone as an RFA would cripple the Sens, make their unprotected 2019 1st better, and make the one we're giving them much worse. Would be cunning, but only occurs in online leagues.

Yeah that's true. For some reason in my brain I was thinking that if the 1st round pick you acquired from another team was higher in the draft, you could use that pick as compensation in the offer sheet instead.

But then I remembered that the picks wouldn't have a specific spot in the draft yet because it's the following seasons picks that are used. A season that wouldn't even be started at that point.

Brain fart by me :laugh:

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I don't know how you can make that judgement based on 20 games AND when Sekera isn't even playing.

I’m making that statement precisely BECAUSE Sekera isn’t playing and that D-core looks terrible right now without him, especially Klefbom. If he’s easily better I don’t see why he can’t weather that loss and step up.

Now that all said, I realize I’m looking at a very small sample size. Just saying right now, he ain’t looking like a dominant defenseman. Not even close.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
If we can use a pick to acquire a U23 player who can help now, sign me up. There's a middle ground between hoarding picks and going all-in at the deadline. In some ways, this team does need to find a way to compete sooner rather than later, and frankly we might be too good now to be thinking 3-4 years in the future, as we won't suck enough to get rebuilding-level draft picks. This should be the last season where there is no playoff expectation. I don't think we should be shopping for such a deal, but if it presents itself, Sakic should pounce.

Reactions: Postanin CB Ting

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I, like everyone else here, don’t want to see the future mortgaged. But if Sakic’s not exploring every possible avenue to improve the team now and in the future then he’s not doing his job. I’d rather they use the picks but if the right player comes along then fantastic.

What I DO NOT want to see is players acquired for something other than actual hockey ability as a primary reason. I don’t want to see this team sacrifice any speed or skill and I absolutely do not want to see this team try and “get tougher.” Basically I don’t want Sakic to pull a Chiarelli. Other than that, he’s proven me wrong enough times I think he deserves the benefit of the doubt for now.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I have to give some credit to Jared Bednar for the way this team is playing right now.

There's a few reasons for the turn around this year. The chemistry change with the massive turnover from the start of last year to now is a big reason, as is getting a great puck mover like Girard, and Varly returning to form along with Bernier.

That said, Bednar seems to have gotten everyone on the same page. They're finally playing like a "team." Not a group of individuals. I think the poor leadership was a big factor in that, but bottom line is, Bednar got them regrouped and believing in themselves.

Their stars are leading the way with Nate, Landy, and EJ. The team is playing hard every shift, and eliminating more and more mistakes as each game goes by it seems. They are definitely trending in the right direction, and Bednar deserves some credit for that.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I, like everyone else here, don’t want to see the future mortgaged. But if Sakic’s not exploring every possible avenue to improve the team now and in the future then he’s not doing his job. I’d rather they use the picks but if the right player comes along then fantastic.

What I DO NOT want to see is players acquired for something other than actual hockey ability as a primary reason. I don’t want to see this team sacrifice any speed or skill and I absolutely do not want to see this team try and “get tougher.” Basically I don’t want Sakic to pull a Chiarelli. Other than that, he’s proven me wrong enough times I think he deserves the benefit of the doubt for now.
We will need some grit and size eventually, as I don't think just Greer, Compher, Bowers and Toninato will be enough to fill that need in the future. But given what Sakic has been doing since Roy left, it kind of feels like he wants to flood the ice with skill players.

I have a feeling he sees this season as a proving ground to see which players rise to the top so he can figure out who to keep and who to move on from, because this "12 top 9 players" thing can't last forever. Maybe after we shake that out he'll start looking for some more bottom six fixtures to balance things out, but for now that doesn't seem to be in his immediate plans.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
We will need some grit and size eventually, as I don't think just Greer, Compher, Bowers and Toninato will be enough to fill that need in the future. But given what Sakic has been doing since Roy left, it kind of feels like he wants to flood the ice with skill players.

I have a feeling he sees this season as a proving ground to see which players rise to the top so he can figure out who to keep and who to move on from, because this "12 top 9 players" thing can't last forever. Maybe after we shake that out he'll start looking for some more bottom six fixtures to balance things out, but for now that doesn't seem to be in his immediate plans.

The two teams in the SCF last year disagree. The NHL is trending towards skill and speed, having a bit more grit is more of a luxury.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
What I'm looking forward to most, at the 2018 draft, is actually legitimately being able to pick the best player available, not based on need. I'd gladly take another D early, and I'd be happy with a forward too. I'd love to go

1. FWD/D
1. D/FWD
2. G

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
Oh for sure. A great scenario would be Ottawa missing playoffs and having the 11th overall pick, while the Avs end up in a playoff spot and a 16-20 range 1st.

We'd basically be getting a 1st in the range of the draft a lot of us were expecting our own first to be, but get to enjoy the thrill of playoff hockey(And perhaps most importantly the players get the experience of what it takes to be a playoff team).

That'd be a great scenario.
This would be perfect

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

Just like to see some more size on the team. Mack/Landy/Rants are huge with EJ + Girard/Zadorov is the strongest lineup and have shown their dominance against their opponents. 2nd line is comprised of smaller, fast and highly talented players Kerfot/Compher/Ghetto/Yakupov/Nieto which is also fine. The 3rd and 4th lines are more aging plugs with size Soda/Comeau/Wilson + smaller players not on the 2nd line. Getting more size would be helpful in balancing the team.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
For offersheets I don't think it has to be your own draft pick, it just has to be your draft pick or an earlier draft pick to be used.

Last edited:

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
For offsheets I don't think it has to be your own draft pick, it just has to be your draft pick or an earlier draft pick to be used.

I was originally thinking this also. But remember, the compensation being used is for a future draft, one in which we dont actually know where in the draft the pick is going to be.

So it doesn't really work.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Some people just never learn....

Lets just hope Joe is smarter than that....

Avs need to stay the course.

Ottawa won't finish in the bottom 10 IMO.
And if they do, the house will be on fire which bodes well for us owning their 2019 1st...

Avs are in a killer division and should miss the playoffs no matter how good we are looking right now.

If we sneak in against all odds then great. But we certainly for gods sake shouldn't be a team that will buy at the deadline...
There's a difference between selling picks and prospects for a UFA vs for a long term piece.

Either a guy signed long term or a guy who's still in his RFA schedule.

It doesn't have to be a Boedker trade again.
You can trade futures if you're bringing in a legitimate building block.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad