Prospect Info: Avs draft F Calum Ritchie (2023 #27 overall)

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
Is this guy going to get 9 games in the bigs?

Is he going to come into camp over weight and under prepared? Stripped of the C so we have to call him Alum Ritchie?
Looked him up for the first time in like 6 years. Overweight is almost an understatement at this point
D5AF5A9D-A77E-44D2-B18C-74720FF14AF8.jpeg

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
Seattle
It's still very strange to me how the Avs haven't bothered signing him to an ELC, especially if the kid is putting in the work. At least reward him with some signing bonus money, no?

Avs are so strange sometimes. Like they don't do shit just to not do it, there's no logic behind it.
Avs are probably offering 3 years while Ritchie wants 3 years.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I'm guessing the only reason he hasn't gotten a contract offer is because of the cap hell we are in. Kind of f***ing pathetic that we can't offer him a contract because we can't fit it in.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
I'm guessing the only reason he hasn't gotten a contract offer is because of the cap hell we are in. Kind of f***ing pathetic that we can't offer him a contract because we can't fit it in.
How does his contract affect our cap?

The Avs aren’t gonna carry him as an extra. If he makes the team, he’s just gonna use the same cap as a different player.
Literally makes no difference.

HartKinnon

Nov 25, 2010

This message is pathetic. Ritchie’s caphit isn’t the issue here and Avs can fit him if they want to.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
How does his contract affect our cap?

The Avs aren’t gonna carry him as an extra. If he makes the team, he’s just gonna use the same cap as a different player.
Literally makes no difference.
This message is pathetic. Ritchie’s caphit isn’t the issue here and Avs can fit him if they want to.
Cap hit might be part of it. Any bonuses he’s likely to get would likely end up as an overage and cap penalty moving forward. Avs stick pretty closely to bonuses. Late first guys don’t tend to get full and maybe Ritchie wants full or represent more bonus risk.

He’s going to get signed though. Nobody should worry about that.

HartKinnon

Nov 25, 2010
Cap hit might be part of it. Any bonuses he’s likely to get would likely end up as an overage and cap penalty moving forward. Avs stick pretty closely to bonuses. Late first guys don’t tend to get full and maybe Ritchie wants full or represent more bonus risk.

Im not sure if this is accurate list anymore but there shouldn’t be many bonuses that Ritchie could achieve.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

Not necessarily a worry, more of a "hey Avs org, stop being f***ing cheapskates and sign the kid already."

The Avs could decide with 100% certainty he is going back to Oshawa today and still could sign him. Just get it done already.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009

But wouldn’t the bonuses affect next year only?

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
But wouldn’t the bonuses affect next year only?
He’d have to play in the NHL and make a significant impact like top 6 on the team in certain categories to trigger any sort of performance bonuses. If they just sign him and the contract ends up sliding and he goes back to junior there isn’t any charge on the Avs cap, in fact by paying the signing bonus out early it actually lowers the AAV by that 90 some k in the future. But that’s why the Avs dont want to sign him yet, it’s to not pay out the 90k before they have to.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
And it’s pretty clear Ritchie hasn’t been offered anything.

“For the summer, I want to get a lot stronger and improve all aspects of my game really,” Ritchie said. “And improve my shot, conditioning, skating, all that stuff. And then coming into camp, my goal is to get some preseason games and work as hard as I can and have them make a decision to give me a contract.”

Love the attitude but the decision should have been made long ago.

Sure they’ll sign him, probably in March when his contract won’t need to slide. But if they seriously plan to send him home from camp with no contract and no NHL trial it’s a real bad look. Commitment to a player starts long before they enter playing in the system and it’s not an attitude I’d count on bearing any fruit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad