Auston Matthews is 53 goals from franchise history.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
1720836626101.png

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I believe that his (equivalent) career pace thus far is actually at or slightly above that mark (53 G in 82 GP). It wouldn't surprise me at all for this to happen in 2025.

Reactions: Sypher04

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
S

Yep. You win by scoring goals and playing good D. Matthews is a multi-time Richard winner and a perennial Selke candidate.
People just don't like that Matthews isn't as flashy as a C.

He's not great like Mcdavid for points... he's not great like Barkov for defence... he's kinda in the middle but not Barkov and he scores a shit ton of goals. He's an overall top 5 C in the league as of now... if not better.

Not sure why people get to upset about him. His wage in NHL standards will be fine in a couple years.

Reactions: conFABulator

Gilmour1996

Oct 16, 2022
On a positive note, Matthews is on a higher level than his "core" team mates and has improved defensively. However, a lot of fans have something in common with players and their agents. That is, what matters most is how players' goals/assists/points are accumulated in the regular season when players are getting paid and contract comparables are being established. Other factors like character, leadership, making team mates better, winning playoff rounds, defensive abilities, +/-, taking less money to help build a stronger team, etc. are secondary for these individuals. No wonder we haven't won anything significant in 57 years except for being near the top in jersey sales and gross revenues.

Last edited:

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
what this shows me is he is 11 goals away from catching from catching Wendel who played 24 more games there. Bet he catches him in this department too to the chagrin of the numpties in this fansbase

Considering his goals per game is among the highest on that list and he’s almost a lock to pass all of them in 3 or 4 rounds I assume that means this is a list of guys who disappeared in the playoffs and couldnt score to save their lives right?

Reactions: WillNy29
Oct 18, 2010
Considering his goals per game is among the highest on that list and he’s almost a lock to pass all of them in 3 or 4 rounds I assume that means this is a list of guys who disappeared in the playoffs and couldnt score to save their lives right?

True, the evil sick and twisted Leaf fans (why can't they be happy with nothing) don't criticize most of the guys on that list. It's almost as if there's a lot more to the game than one guy scoring goals. :eek3:

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Yup, now if he could just lift his to team greater heights and not just personal achievements

Yzerman didn't win until he was 31.

Ovechkin was 32

Stamkos was about 30

Matthews is 26 we aren't done here we have time.

The team is on the right track with the coaching change and the defensive upgrades.

We'll get there.

Reactions: banks and Dr C

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020

Ovechkin was 32

Stamkos was about 30

The team is on the right track with the coaching change and the defensive upgrades.

We'll get there.
Jonathan Teows was 22 when he won his first cup.
Patrick Cain was 21 when he scored the goal that won his team the cup
Crosby was 21 when he won it
All 3 of these guys lifted their teams to the pinnacle of hockey at a very early age.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
This thread shows how fed up leaf fans are with the lack of success. I know some hate all the negativity but I can’t blame those who are tired with this franchise.
Which is fair, yet Matthews has only played in 8 out of the 58 years of failure. For the most part he has also done his job.

If Dubas was so horrible, Keefe was a moron, the core is butter soft and the goaltending and defense as putrid as a lot claim, how the hell were they ever going to win?

It becomes incredible they have made the playoffs for 8 straight years with such an embarassing regime

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Which is fair, yet Matthews has only played in 8 out of the 58 years of failure. For the most part he has also done his job.

If Dubas was so horrible, Keefe was a moron, the core is butter soft and the goaltending and defense as putrid as a lot claim, how the hell were they ever going to win?

It becomes incredible they have made the playoffs for 8 straight years with such an embarassing regime
I don’t think anyone is disputing that they are good enough to make the playoff but they are simply not good enough to go any further. When the going gets tough in the post season they wilt like day old daisies

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Nobody is arguing they have not been good in the regular season. It is the lack of playoff success in 8 years that has fans calling for a change to the core. I'd move all of them but we know that is not happening. You have to start somewhere and the reasons why Marner is the odd man out has been stated numerous times over the past few months.

When Pelley said we want to win, I do not think he was referring to making the playoffs and exiting quickly.

Last edited:
Reactions: rumman

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
This thread shows how fed up leaf fans are with the lack of success. I know some hate all the negativity but I can’t blame those who are tired with this franchise.

Then they can stop watching. If something is causing you to be upset or have distain for it, they should remove it from their lives. No one is forcing them to keep being a fan of something that they are tired of lol.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Jonathan Teows was 22 when he won his first cup.
Patrick Cain was 21 when he scored the goal that won his team the cup
Crosby was 21 when he won it
All 3 of these guys lifted their teams to the pinnacle of hockey at a very early age.

Those teams were built significantly better than the leafs. They legit had depth scoring and balanced lines. The lack of success is two pronged. The core players haven’t gotten it done but the management of Toronto has failed as well. We’ve had no answer for a goalie, lack of depth scoring.

Reactions: Dr C

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Ovechkin was 32

Stamkos was about 30

We'll get there.
This core has proven it cannot get it done and Tavares is declining hard. They have been spinning their wheels for the past 5 seasons and this season looks to be no different. It would be different if they had made the CF once or twice but they can barely get out of round #1, once in 8 years thanks to a terrible Vasi. They have too many holes to address and a lack of cap space, draft capital and prospects to do it.

They just patched the D and sprung a leak at LW, are thin down the middle and their bottom six is terrible. Running it back, expecting different results is insanity. Fans have been saying this since the Habs series and the Leafs keep running it back with the same results. Surely we are not going to run it back another 6 years because Yzerman and OV were 31+ when the finally won one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad