Votes: 5 11.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Damn, decided to sleep instead of watching this. Guess I needed the sleep, good win bois.

RECKLESS

Apr 23, 2019
George and Frank are a hot combo!!

Good win apart from the lazy start. We're still at times passing too much looking for the perfect play. Shoot the damn thing!

Reactions: niwotsblessing

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
Out goalies are damn hot right now! That helps this team full on injuries. And the fact that our top-stars are playing like our top stars.

Really like how we play and win allthough dealing with a bunch of injuries. A little lucky here and there (especially that game in Carolina), but hey, who cares.

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith
To be fair I thought Kuemper was fine, he didn't really let in any bad ones, the only one that came close was the Cogliano/MacDonald goal, but I still can't tell if that deflected off a Caps player or if Kuemper mishandled a rebound.

BTW, did any of y'all notice Kuemper reaching outside the crease to set picks? I don't remember him ever doing that in an Avs uniform, but I saw him clearly obstructing Avs forecheckers a couple times.
I was watching the Caps feed and that one bounced in off of Cogs' skate, they had a good angle on the replay.

Also, Ovechkin set up Lehkonen on the 4th goal, he took the puck from Rants and threw it across the ice.

Rants was utterly disinterested last night.

The Pwnerer

Jan 27, 2006
The team is really starting to roll even with all the injuries. Something you actually want to see a team go through. Call it a blessing in disguise.

As for the goalies, huge credit to Sakic/Mac for identifying goalies with the talent and capitalizing on it. Frankie came out of nowhere when everyone was enamoured by Koskinen that year. Jussi Parkkila has done wonders with the goaltenders he has worked with since 2017. He hasn't been perfect but its been a huge step ahead of what we had in the past.

Georigev and Francouz athleticism have been in full display these last 2 games. They look fully relaxed in the standing position (stick off ice) when appropriate and confident in net cutting the angles quickly. They actually look big in net, just by how well they play the angles and come out! Love to see how quick they can recover too, something DK unfortunately did not have. Hope they continue these trends, so far I've been very impressed with their progress.

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Good to see the team keep winning and actually deserve to win the game this time.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
As expected the Avs keep on winning despite the injuries. Some of the best players in hockey + great coaching is not a losing combo in a weak conference, the goaltending has been really solid as well.
Avs are 6-1 in their last 7 games, 6 wins are against eastern conference teams, one loss against the Blues.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The context is take the f***ing points and run while you can until this team gets healthy and a new 2C.
Oh I agree getting the points and wins is really important to buy buffer.

Just saying that the idea that the 5 recent wins against the EC is a bit of a mirage. Played 2 teams that are destined to pick top 10 (with maybe one top 5) and the other team in those games dominated the Avs where Frank just stole a couple games. Also came off the heels of going 1-2-0 against the New York area teams with the one win being a shootout.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
The team is really starting to roll even with all the injuries. Something you actually want to see a team go through. Call it a blessing in disguise.

As for the goalies, huge credit to Sakic/Mac for identifying goalies with the talent and capitalizing on it. Frankie came out of nowhere when everyone was enamoured by Koskinen that year. Jussi Parkkila has done wonders with the goaltenders he has worked with since 2017. He hasn't been perfect but its been a huge step ahead of what we had in the past.

Georigev and Francouz athleticism have been in full display these last 2 games. They look fully relaxed in the standing position (stick off ice) when appropriate and confident in net cutting the angles quickly. They actually look big in net, just by how well they play the angles and come out! Love to see how quick they can recover too, something DK unfortunately did not have. Hope they continue these trends, so far I've been very impressed with their progress.
Agreed on the goaltending, I think the staff saw some things they liked in Georgie and made it a priority to make it happen instead of just taking the last option available the year before. I'm not going to lose my mind over stats or results in the first couple months of the season this team doesn't care really. These injuries are going to be milked and guys will be more than ready when they return. I think this is actually the perfect scenario for the team because we know what they can do when it matters. Better to get out a lot of guys who would be stuck down in a different role or in Loveland get to see where they are at against NHL talent. Yeah newsflash, none of them are as good as the first line or first pair.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Oh I agree getting the points and wins is really important to buy buffer.

Just saying that the idea that the 5 recent wins against the EC is a bit of a mirage. Played 2 teams that are destined to pick top 10 (with maybe one top 5) and the other team in those games dominated the Avs where Frank just stole a couple games. Also came off the heels of going 1-2-0 against the New York area teams with the one win being a shootout.

I get what you're saying, but its going to be tough to judge how they'll handle the EC teams until they get some bodies back. If we had Lando, Nukw, Bo and G they may not have needed Frankie to steal the games against Carolina.

It's nice to have goaltending that can steal you a game or 2 now, especially with how depleted the lineup is.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Oh yeah, one of the wins was against Nashville, but my point is, even if west is a weaker conference, Avs have always done well against east
Avs have tended to be better against the East in years past. The East is as strong as it has been in a while this year. Going back a few years the West was the much stronger side, but the East caught up and surpassed. Right now the East looks like it will have 2-4 new playoff teams and the only playoff team that I think got extremely weaker was Washington. Ebbs and flows.
I get what you're saying, but its going to be tough to judge how they'll handle the EC teams until they get some bodies back. If we had Lando, Nukw, Bo and G they may not have needed Frankie to steal the games against Carolina.

It's nice to have goaltending that can steal you a game or 2 now, especially with how depleted the lineup is.

It'll be tough in general given the lack of games, when they are happening, and how coaches tend to handle out of conference games (don't mind losing them as much).

Goaltending is a very big reason the Avs are getting by right now. Without it, the Avs would be in a pretty rough shape. I think it is unrealistic to sustain where things are right now, but I'll certainly take it in the meantime.

The next big stretch of EC games is in December will probably say a lot more, but the Avs won't be healthy there either (doubt they'll really be healthy all year).

Reactions: forsbergavs32

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
One guy that is profiting from all these injuries is Kaut. He is still not producing but the rest of his game has taking a good step forward to the point that Bednar is now trusting him in different situations like killing penalties late in games. He is not taking untimely penalties as much as well which also goes a long way with Bednar.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
One guy that is profiting from all these injuries is Kaut. He is still not producing but the rest of his game has taking a good step forward to the point that Bednar is now trusting him in different situations like killing penalties late in games. He is not taking untimely penalties as much as well which also goes a long way with Bednar.
It has calmed his nerves quite a bit... which helps quite a bit. I still have significant reservations about him being even close to good enough to do well in the top 9, and he's not a crash and bang player. Pretty clear that this is his chance to stick with the Avs, if he can't here, it is over with this org.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
It has calmed his nerves quite a bit... which helps quite a bit. I still have significant reservations about him being even close to good enough to do well in the top 9, and he's not a crash and bang player. Pretty clear that this is his chance to stick with the Avs, if he can't here, it is over with this org.
Absolutely I am not getting my hopes up too much. I'm just happy that he is finally showing more. But as you said I think he needs to show more to remain with this team.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad