OT - NO POLITICS Autumn edition- foliage, cider doughnuts & pumpkin everything.

Troublesome 85

TOP RANKED GIRL DAD
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
Todays my day off I told work id come in so I can train more but I dont think so. Havent heard any news about the next few days either. With the coastline evacuating I dont see the point.

My sister suggested we all go up there but my parents said no.

My father is confident with how these communities are built and how they just spent thousands on storm windows that we will be fine

Weather events always have me anxious can’t exactly fight or even sometimes escape weather

Coco the puff

Attachments

• IMG_4103.jpeg
    IMG_4103.jpeg
    240.6 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: BMC

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
My daughter has a job offer in Rochester MN area as well as Minneapolis are.
Labs in both sites. Ive never spent any time in either.

Any thoughts? Experience ?

Don't know much about MN but I assume Minneapolis might be cooler for young folks but Rochester MN is where the Mayo clinic is, so if the job is there, take that. Then she can it on her resume and eventually move back home to MGH! ;)

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Todays my day off I told work id come in so I can train more but I dont think so. Havent heard any news about the next few days either. With the coastline evacuating I dont see the point.

My sister suggested we all go up there but my parents said no.

My father is confident with how these communities are built and how they just spent thousands on storm windows that we will be fine

Weather events always have me anxious can’t exactly fight or even sometimes escape weather

Coco the puff
I don't recall how far inland you are but the way this is shaping up, I don't think this is a storm I'd want to ride out. Best of luck whatever you do, hope you all stay safe.

Troublesome 85

TOP RANKED GIRL DAD
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
This is from Denis Phillips, a very good meteorologist in Tampa. He's not a hype guy. Just the facts.

Milton Afternoon Update: Milton has strengthened almost as quickly as any storm in history. Only Wilma and Felix have strengthened faster. 80 knot increase in 24 hours. Unreal. Now what?

1. Shear should cause Milton to weaken as it approaches the state. Still, Cat 3 is likely when it makes landfall.

2. Where? Area between Sarasota and Hernando County appear most likely. Again, the exact point of landfall is unpredictable. Wobbles will also happen. The point of landfall and South will see the worst of it.

3. Surge values of 8-12 feet are likely at landfall near the eye. Winds near the eye will be 100-120. Hurricane force winds will probably extend about 45 miles out.

4. Widespread power outages expected. Never use a generator IN your home or garage.

5. Milton will cross the state and bring hurricane conditions to inland areas including Polk County and Orlando.

6. If you are in a mandatory evacuation zone, do so.

7. If the storm slows down its forward speed, there IS the opportunity for additional weakening. There is always hope. But the reality is chances are high part of the Bay Area will see major hurricane impacts and a direct hit.

8. Unfortunately, this storm is the real deal. The one we always knew was possible, but dreaded even thinking about it. So, now is the time to act. You still have 1 1/2 days. Follow evacuation warnings. Make your final preps.

9. On a personal note, I know how scared and anxious people are. We should be. This storm is a beast. We need to work as a team to get through this. Storms can bring the best out in people. Neighbors helping neighbors. It's the only way. Our team will be here 24/7 to get you as much information as possible to help keep you and your family safe. Let's do this..TOGETHER. #FloridaStrong

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
20-30 miles away from me is where it can touch down

Looking at past screen shots its gone a little farther away from me

Lmao not like I can go anywhere 🤷🏻‍♂️
View attachment 913131
if the Louisianimals are saying get out.... I'd get out.

Cajun Navy post on Facebook:

DO NOT RIDE THIS STORM OUT!!!! It’s definitely time to go, you do not own anything worth your life! We have been in North Carolina for over a week and the destruction and loss of lives is unbearable.

🌀 10-7-24 10AM… MILTON IS AN ABSOLUTE MONSTER… now a powerful Category 4 Hurricane with sustained winds of 155MPH and pressure down to 933mb. As I suspected the NHC now calling for Milton to become a Category 5 shortly which would be sustained winds over 157+. He has rapidly intensified at an absolute INSANE rate over the warm waters of the Gulf. Almost a 100mph increase in winds in the past 24 hours🤯

🌀👉 Honestly based of current satellite, data and the extreme favorable environment Milton is in I’m really not sure at what point this storm will cap… NHC forecast says 165 but IMO we could see this beast reach and even exceed 175MPH+ we shall see.

🌀🚨👉 Even with the forecasted weakening after this storm bombs out… SERIOUS CATASTROPHIC HURRICANE IMPACTS from surge, winds, rain and flooding is on the way Florida. PREPARE FOR WORST CASE. If you are in an area where mandatory evacuations are issued… DO NOT BE COMPLACENT… GET OUT NOW!!! TrackTheTropics.com

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Crazy how just a couple days ago there was only a 30% chance of anything developing out of the depression, and now it's a category 5. :help:
The way the jet stream set up plus the warm gulf waters that bounced back quickly after Helene gave this damn thing all the fuel it needed. The eastern seaboard is lucky that the jet stream is going to eject it into open waters versus allowing it to camp out on the gulf stream and grind up the coast.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
if the Louisianimals are saying get out.... I'd get out.

Cajun Navy post on Facebook:

DO NOT RIDE THIS STORM OUT!!!! It’s definitely time to go, you do not own anything worth your life! We have been in North Carolina for over a week and the destruction and loss of lives is unbearable.

🌀 10-7-24 10AM… MILTON IS AN ABSOLUTE MONSTER… now a powerful Category 4 Hurricane with sustained winds of 155MPH and pressure down to 933mb. As I suspected the NHC now calling for Milton to become a Category 5 shortly which would be sustained winds over 157+. He has rapidly intensified at an absolute INSANE rate over the warm waters of the Gulf. Almost a 100mph increase in winds in the past 24 hours🤯

🌀👉 Honestly based of current satellite, data and the extreme favorable environment Milton is in I’m really not sure at what point this storm will cap… NHC forecast says 165 but IMO we could see this beast reach and even exceed 175MPH+ we shall see.

🌀🚨👉 Even with the forecasted weakening after this storm bombs out… SERIOUS CATASTROPHIC HURRICANE IMPACTS from surge, winds, rain and flooding is on the way Florida. PREPARE FOR WORST CASE. If you are in an area where mandatory evacuations are issued… DO NOT BE COMPLACENT… GET OUT NOW!!! TrackTheTropics.com
When Bryan Norcross, who was the ONLY meteorologist to predict Andrew in 1992 says get out, you get the f*** out. go towards Alabama or go south towards the Keyes/Miami.

My mom's cousin just finished all the repairs to her home from the flood damage Ian did. She's just south of Fort Meyers/Cape Coral.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
When Bryan Norcross, who was the ONLY meteorologist to predict Andrew in 1992 says get out, you get the f*** out. go towards Alabama or go south towards the Keyes/Miami.

My mom's cousin just finished all the repairs to her home from the flood damage Ian did. She's just south of Fort Meyers/Cape Coral.
Andrew is the first hurricane I remember hearing about. Growing up in Maryland in the 70s and 80s, no internet back then, hurricanes weren't anything I ever thought about.

Reactions: BMC and Alicat

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Andrew is the first hurricane I remember hearing about. Growing up in Maryland in the 70s and 80s, no internet back then, hurricanes weren't anything I ever thought about.
For me it was Bob because growing up in New England, it was the first hurricane since Gloria in 1985. I tracked it using the plot coordinates and the tracking maps my aunt and uncle got me for my birthday the year before. You could send a request by mail to the Observatory and they would mail you back a bunch of sheets to use. Great way for kids to learn about longitude and latitude as well as geography.

We had wind and rain and I don't think we lost power. I remember my dad saying we had to watch Dick Albert and Chet and Nat on WCVB for coverage. We had the day off from summer camp and I remember my parents and aunt and uncle threw the pool furniture in the pool so it wouldn't fly around.

I was so obsessed after Bob, I was glued to the Andrew coverage and all the other storm coverage since.

Troublesome 85

TOP RANKED GIRL DAD
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
my job says we are doing soft opening on Friday and grand Saturday…

Im not a meteorologist and I dont have information corporate has in regards to weather but I dont see this happening.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Im not in an evacuation zone. I just checked.
If it changes --- do the safe thing and get out. Even if you don't have a place to stay ---- sleeping in your car for a night or two outside the danger zone isn't the worst thing in the world.

Better than the worst case scenario!

Reactions: Alicat and BMC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad