Player Discussion Auston Matthews (Captain Edition)

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
5 pts in 8 games

He is playing like he needs to be bought out defensively

Offensively he is choking goals. Playmaking is nonexistent as always
I'm more concerned about the defensive lapses than the offence, which I'm confident will come. As for playmaking, he's only really shown it when away from Marner.

He was INVISIBLE tonight. Shame.
I thought the opposite - he was horribly noticeable, particularly on three Blues' goals.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I'm more concerned about the defensive lapses than the offence, which I'm confident will come. As for playmaking, he's only really shown it when away from Marner.
We should run different lines in that case

Though play making for Matthews even without 16 isny great.

On the PP he isnt able to find cross seam passes and get other players open/quality looks which is annoying.

Defensively he needs to communicate better with the d-men and not make as many high risk plays

Not sure what the optimal lines would br for us

Maybe

McMann - Matthews - Robertson
Knies - Domi - Tavares/Nylander
Nylander/Tavares - XXX - Marner

Trade for another center

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I don’t like any of our forwards on the point.

Marner is the only one who is good there, but he still shouldn’t be because it makes him even more unlikely to shoot which is one of his biggest problems.

When defenders can cheat on Domi / Marner / Rielly etc and know that 99.9% of the time they will not shoot it really limits them offensively save on the PP. Same with Matthews shooting 99.9% of the time. Mix it up!
I don't mind Nylander there. He has similar puck handling and passing skills, but also a dangerous shot and the speed to cover up defensively.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
The TSN broadcast, said goal 1 was on Marner. Marner goes too low and gives the easy shot to Broberg. Why did Marner go so low? BTW look at the effort by Tanev. Amazing.

Edit looks like goal 1 was on Marner, goal 2 and 3 was Matthews and goal 5 was Nylander.

The initial mistake was by Marner, but Matty gets some blame for the first as he didn't clear him man out of the way, screened Woll, and didn't block the shot.

4th on Nylander, not 5th.

Last edited:

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
The initial mistake was by Marner, but Matty gets some blame for the first as he didn't clear him man out of the way, screened Woll, and didn't block the shot.

4th on Nylander, not 5th.
Buch screened Woll perfectly...Woll was fighting to see the puck the entire time. Matthews was between Buch and puck entire time.

That's the entire point of a clean point shot is for a screen goal.

TSN crew said it was Marners fault, and both broadcasts i saw praised Buch for his screen. None questioned Matthews.

Marner was the one leaf player who COMPLETELY left his coverage and gave the wide open uncontested shot from the point. He just needs to do what his teammates were doing, stick to keeping it simple and cut the individual fancy shi*. Tanev was doing just fine on Kyrou and who knows why Marner slowly drifted down to nowhere land.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad