Auston Matthews and Porsche

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Well you figure anyone who's put in years with the team and isn't a mercenary would basically be a King. Toronto is shutting down for a week of non-stop partying. There will be a stamp, a coin, many statues. Maybe a public holiday too.

Matthews essentially reaches god status in Toronto.
No question about that.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
It's a very rare 911, the GT2 RS. It is the most expensive (Starts at 300k USD) and fastest 911 you can buy. I'm so jealous, my wimpy Targa has nothing on this beauty.

Porsche 911 GT2 RS - Porsche USA

0-60 in 2.7 sec , not bad for a car with training wheels but if you want a REAL car ya gotta go MOPAR all the way baby... ;)

Demon 0-60 in 2.3 sec ... (you can buy 3 Demons for the price of one 911 GT2 :D )

NotNotALeafsFan

Oct 11, 2013
Toronto
Well you figure anyone who's put in years with the team and isn't a mercenary would basically be a King. Toronto is shutting down for a week of non-stop partying. There will be a stamp, a coin, many statues. Maybe a public holiday too.

Matthews essentially reaches god status in Toronto.
Kinda crazy to think how this kid has made the whole city excited for Leafs hockey again. He's been around for a year and a half and already has the city excited. I couldn't imagine how much the city will love him if (and when :naughty:) we win a cup.

Exciting time to be a Leaf fan, thank you AM

Ignatius Reilly

Nov 25, 2010
So what is this exactly?

[Porsche Oakville on Twitter] We are thrilled to announce Auston Matthews joining Policaro Group as a Brand Ambassador.

So what does that mean, exactly? I suspect he's getting some $$ from them for this, and I can't see a Brand Ambassador driving a different brand, so he probably gets a Porsche for the duration of the deal. I'll bet it's not the one in the picture though...

Anyone have any actual details?

I hope he never drives a Porsche regularly. I want Matty in a Cadillac Escalade ESV. Huge crumple zone. :cool:

Me too.

I went to school with one of Tim Horton's kids and I still remember that day.

0-60 in 2.7 sec , not bad for a car with training wheels but if you want a REAL car ya gotta go MOPAR all the way baby... ;)

Demon 0-60 in 2.3 sec ... (you can buy 3 Demons for the price of one 911 GT2 :D )

Interesting, if you like cars that take more than 2 seconds.... I think 1.9 sounds better and the car's a bit of a looker too....

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
[Porsche Oakville on Twitter] We are thrilled to announce Auston Matthews joining Policaro Group as a Brand Ambassador.

So what does that mean, exactly? I suspect he's getting some $$ from them for this, and I can't see a Brand Ambassador driving a different brand, so he probably gets a Porsche for the duration of the deal. I'll bet it's not the one in the picture though...

Anyone have any actual details?

Me too.

I went to school with one of Tim Horton's kids and I still remember that day.

That Tesla Roadster is almost $250k Canadian, for the the $140k price difference between the Demon and the Tesla, I could turn the Demon into a sub 2 sec 0-60 car too... :D

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
you know if you want endorsement deals Toronto is the place to come, Zach "cant attack" Hyman has a commercial on TV now. Anybody seen it? its for drink driving. I only caught a glimpse of it, so didn't hear it please tell me his line is "if you drink and drive ill meet you in the corner, and you know my hands a stone. DONT DRINK AND DRIVE" the ad writes itself

HamiltonNHL

Resigning Marner == Running it back
Jan 4, 2012
If AM34 drives his Porsche six speed, I'll know he's the real deal.
It's probably PDK.
I still love he's in a Porsche.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
you know if you want endorsement deals Toronto is the place to come, Zach "cant attack" Hyman has a commercial on TV now. Anybody seen it? its for drink driving. I only caught a glimpse of it, so didn't hear it please tell me his line is "if you drink and drive ill meet you in the corner, and you know my hands a stone. DONT DRINK AND DRIVE" the ad writes itself
Hopefully he does not charge for that.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Well at least it's not a red Porsche 930 Turbo, black Ferrari 360 Modena, or a white `72 Pantera.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
It's probably PDK.

Porsche has all but eliminated the manual from the lineup with exception to the new GT3. The Turbo and GT2 RS will only be available in PDK. They are too fast for manual.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
I was thinking I'd be happier if it was a Volvo.

Stay grounded.

I don't want to say it but some of us are old enough to remember Pelle Lindberg. I hate to see young guys with lots of youthful exuberance in fast cars. Matty is mature, he'll be fine but I'd prefer even a Hummer for our star player.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
It's probably PDK.

Preach brother!

I never understood why a person would buy a sports car that is an automatic, kinda takes the "sports" out of "sports car".

Last summer I was kicking tires on a SRT 392 and the guy was trying to tell me that a paddle shifter auto is the same "sportiness" as a 6 speed and my response was, what is the sport in driving a car with paddle shifters? If I wanted to play a video game, I'd buy a PS4. (Didnt say the PS4 part to him but it was what I was thinking). I get that auto's are so well tuned that their 0-60 times would be better than a 6 speed, paddle shifters are probably faster than a stick too but the fun in driving a 6 speed is in finding the sweet spot and being one with your car.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga

The Demon is a drag racing car, the Porsche is a track car. With a Demon you need a straight line, with a Porsche, you want windy roads. Two completely different markets and fan bases. I always laugh at Porsche and the 0-60 time, it's not the reason you buy Porsche, really. They are fast no doubt but their money is made when people take corners with the pedal to the floor.

Before I got my 02 Targa, I had the Mazdaspeed 3 and while it is actually faster in a straight line for the first couple hundred meters, I was absolutely blown away by what my car could do in tight turns. The harder I push into the Apex, the more planted the car felt. It's hard to replicate a 911 experience.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
Preach brother!

I never understood why a person would buy a sports car that is an automatic, kinda takes the "sports" out of "sports car".

Last summer I was kicking tires on a SRT 392 and the guy was trying to tell me that a paddle shifter auto is the same "sportiness" as a 6 speed and my response was, what is the sport in driving a car with paddle shifters? If I wanted to play a video game, I'd buy a PS4. (Didnt say the PS4 part to him but it was what I was thinking). I get that auto's are so well tuned that their 0-60 times would be better than a 6 speed, paddle shifters are probably faster than a stick too but the fun in driving a 6 speed is in finding the sweet spot and being one with your car.

Yep I agree, the whole obsession with the 0-60 time has resulted in the manual almost disappearing entirely and so has that level of driving experience we manual drivers enjoy so much. It's true the PDK and other similar high end autos are faster in every way than the manual, but the driving experience difference is worlds apart. I never have and never will own an auto and much prefer the new Manaul GT3. 10-15 years from now, folks will want the GT3 and not the Turbo S. GT2RS is a different story, too rare and collectible.

Last edited:

HomerJLeafs

i just hope we make the POs
Dec 27, 2017
The Leafs will win the Cup with Nylander Marner Matthews still on the team. I just know it. Dont ask me how.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
The Demon is a drag racing car, the Porsche is a track car. With a Demon you need a straight line, with a Porsche, you want windy roads. Two completely different markets and fan bases. I always laugh at Porsche and the 0-60 time, it's not the reason you buy Porsche, really. They are fast no doubt but their money is made when people take corners with the pedal to the floor.

Before I got my 02 Targa, I had the Mazdaspeed 3 and while it is actually faster in a straight line for the first couple hundred meters, I was absolutely blown away by what my car could do in tight turns. The harder I push into the Apex, the more planted the car felt. It's hard to replicate a 911 experience.

Oh for sure, I wouldn't kick anyone in the ass for giving me a free 911, always love them. When I was younger, the first new car I bought was a bright red 5 speed Acura Integra. I had the stickiest Yokohama tires you could buy and that thing hugged corners like it was on rails. I certainly appreciate a car for what it's meant for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad