Confirmed with Link: Austin Watson joins Red Wings for training camp PTO

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
Depth signing, don't mind it. There will be some injuries so regardless good to have for the time he will be with the organization. And if we end up losing him on waivers at some point its not the end of the world either. Could also potentially be someone we trade to a contender for a middle round pick.

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
Depth signing, don't mind it. There will be some injuries so regardless good to have for the time he will be with the organization. And if we end up losing him on waivers at some point its not the end of the world either. Could also potentially be someone we trade to a contender for a middle round pick.
He was on a PTO, if someone wanted him he would have been signed outright. We aren’t trading him for anything.

jaster

I am become woke, destroyer of ignorance.
Jun 8, 2007

Huh. Interesting. I guess waiving Holl was just to give themselves flexibility over the next month, maybe buy some time.

I know a lot of you hate the 11 and 7 lineup, but buckle up, I think there's gonna be a lot of it.

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
Huh. Interesting. I guess waiving Holl was just to give themselves flexibility over the next month, maybe buy some time.

I know a lot of you hate the 11 and 7 lineup, but buckle up, I think there's gonna be a lot of it.

giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: jaster

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

Can Holl practice with the team if he isn't on the roster? If so, they should do the same with Husso. I know players practice with the team before they come off of IR/LTIR, but this seems like cap circumvention. Non-roster practice squad, lol.

jaster

I am become woke, destroyer of ignorance.
Jun 8, 2007
Can Holl practice with the team if he isn't on the roster? If so, they should do the same with Husso. I know players practice with the team before they come off of IR/LTIR, but this seems like cap circumvention. Non-roster practice squad, lol.
Sounds like he's sticking with the team as one of the 23, but I think the deadline to submit rosters is later today, so at this moment, it doesn't matter if he's practicing or not. Sounds like they are going to send Watson down though.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Sounds like he's sticking with the team as one of the 23, but I think the deadline to submit rosters is later today, so at this moment, it doesn't matter if he's practicing or not. Sounds like they are going to send Watson down though.
Sounds to me like Holl is a "paper move" to sign Watson.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Fair points I suppose. It just seems like we’ve HAD those guys a lot in the past. Witkowski, Mcalrath, Tootoo, and even Kostin last year. None of the guys seemed to have an impact on having a better team and in fact, I feel like they all made us worse. It’s why we let all of them go.
I've seen these names brought up in the past and they're extremely irrelevant to this conversation. Mcilrath played 23 games over 2 seasons with a bunch of injuries. He didn't have any impact at all whatsoever, he was an AHLer who got called up.

People even bring up Too too saying he made the team worse. You know who else sucked? Guys like Joakim Andersson and Cory Emmerton. They got to be as bad at hockey or worse than Too too but no one talks about them because they made 0 impact and provided absolutely nothing. Tootoo at least did something that was different from a bunch of Vanilla players on the bottom lines.

Watson is a legit 500 NHL game guy who has spent lots of time puking and playing a regular shift. He's not an enforcer, he's a gritty fourth liners that hits like a truck and will fight aynone when his wires cross. But he can be trusted defensively and penalty killing which none of these other guys could do.

Last season with Tampa he didn't do much but the 2 years before that he averaged a double digit goal pace per 82 games as well.

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
Tootoo didn't have a chance to make an impact because Babcock refused to play him in favor of those plugs, Andersson and Emmerton. Same with Mike Commodore. That guy was such a world class asshole.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad