OT - NO POLITICS August edition - The summer wind came blowin' in……

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
This is cool! They have been working on it for several years now. Tickets will probably be super expensive but I would love to take a trip with that engine pulling the train

Very cool. I love when people put time and effort into restoring old things, be they trains or boats or cars of whatever. A very satisfying experience, and important in preserving at least something of the past.

Nashville is on 'the list' and if we do ever get there and this locomotive is running then going for a ride will be a must.

Reactions: GordonHowe and BMC

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
As long as you all have a lovely time, separately or together.

Bon voyage!
I will be with my daughter. We love the schooner. It is so relaxing. My daughter has a terribly busy work schedule so getting away from it all is a good thing. Plus, we know the two captains. Both are musicians. One is a chef.

A few years ago, one of the captains was in LA for some music stuff (winter) and he drove up to visit Amanda and she took him sailing...in a much smaller boat!

We have been every Summer starting in 2011. We missed one season due to COVID.

1723594849378.png

1723594905139.png

1723594948527.png

1723595005669.png

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
I will be with my daughter. We love the schooner. It is so relaxing. My daughter has a terribly busy work schedule so getting away from it all is a good thing. Plus, we know the two captains. Both are musicians. One is a chef.

A few years ago, one of the captains was in LA for some music stuff (winter) and he drove up to visit Amanda and she took him sailing...in a much smaller boat!

We have been every Summer starting in 2011. We missed one season due to COVID.

View attachment 900879
View attachment 900880

View attachment 900881
View attachment 900882

Lovely.

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
It really is.

It is great if you don't get seasick and don't mind it a bit campy. Rooms ae small and have a small sink. There is electricity to charge a phone but no hair dryers or curling irons allowed. There are 2 single cabins, a few double beds (they are small) and bunk rooms. We get the bunks.

The galley has a big old wood stove where the bake homemade bread and cookies every day. They cook all meals on board. Food is good.
You can sit in the galley if it is cool out as the stove keeps it warm.

1723599550986.png

1723599729704.png

1723600115849.png

Last edited:

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
It really is.

It is great if you don't get seasick and don't mind it a bit campy. Rooms ae small and have a small sink. There is electricity to charge a phone but no hair dryers or curling irons allowed. There are 2 single cabins, a few double beds (they are small) and bunk rooms. We get the bunks.

The galley has a big old wood stove where the back homemade bread and cookies every day. They cook all meals on board. Food is good.
You can sit in the galley if it is cool out as the stove keeps it warm.

View attachment 900905
View attachment 900907
View attachment 900912

Envy.

Enjoy!

Reactions: Ladyfan

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
It's your life, but perhaps it's time to consider leaving Florida behind.

I haven't been there in 40 plus years. And you could not pay me to set foot in that state for any reason nor period of time.

PS I was broke and "living" in Denver, where I have family, for two years.

Cashiering at Argonaut Wine and Liquor on sketchy Colfax Avenue.

Up to and including rampant homelessness, pervasive mental illness, alcoholism, and drug abuse; the advent of COVID, George Floyd, looting, police riots and, not to put too fine a point on it, the national guard on my street.

If you are an outdoors type, love the West in general and Colorado in particular, good for you. Enjoy.

I am not an outdoors type. At all.

I hated every minute of my time in Denver.

Saved 10K, and with my late brother Greg's invaluable assistance, was able to return home to Massachusetts in June, 2021.

By the grace of God. And I am an agnostic.

Today, I have Lou Gehrig's disease.

Which is to say, I feel like the luckiest guy in the world.

I hope you find what you are looking for, Troublesome 85.

Take care,

✌️♥️
I am really sorry to hear this. Your positive attitude is wonderful. I am glad you are back home where you want to be. Take care, my friend.

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

I haven't been there in 40 plus years. And you could not pay me to set foot in that state for any reason nor period of time.

Up to and including rampant homelessness, pervasive mental illness, alcoholism, and drug abuse; the advent of COVID, George Floyd, looting, police riots and, not to put too fine a point on it, the national guard on my street.

If you are an outdoors type, love the West in general and Colorado in particular, good for you. Enjoy.

Saved 10K, and with my late brother Greg's invaluable assistance, was able to return home to Massachusetts in June, 2021.

Take care,

✌️♥️
Wow. You have been through some stuff. I am happy you are in a good place.

I wouldn't want to move from New England as it is home. Grew up in MA and live in NH (moved here in the late 80s because I could afford to buy a home and the schools in my town are good). I love Maine and Vermont too.

I considered moving out of the country (Canada) in 2016. I am too old to move and hope I won't feel like I must.

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Ive thought of leaving the country as well @Ladyfan

Have always wanted to live in Japan however if I hate hurricanes here in Florida dont think id like Tsunamis out there.
Nova Scotia for me.

Be sure to really check out somewhere before you move. PLAN. You don't want to be too far away from folks you care about.

I hate the heat so the South is not anywhere I would ever consider. There are other reasons as well, but we are not allowed to speak of them here (which I get).

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

I wouldn't want to move from New England as it is home. Grew up in MA and live in NH (moved here in the late 80s because I could afford to buy a home and the schools in my town are good). I love Maine and Vermont too.

I considered moving out of the country (Canada) in 2016. I am too old to move and hope I won't feel like I must.

Me too.

Inquired, but it seems Canada wants you to bring something to the table if you wish to reside there.

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
I have been on a search of moving abroad for a while now. More musing than serious but it doesn't hurt to have a backup plan.

My general consensus is....

Though alot of countries have better social safety net than the USA (Europe, Canada, Australia), the housing costs are much, much more higher than earnings in these countries compared to the USA. Like same or more expensive than the USA but you make so much less. Yes you get some of it back by not paying healthcare but you are paying high taxes.

So we are sticking in New England for now. Best tradeoff of earnings, housing costs, quality of life. Plus MA and other Medicaid expanded states have good insurance fall backs should you get laid off.

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario

Take care,

✌️♥️
I am so incredibly sorry to hear this. My family has lots of ALS in our family and so I know first hand how terrible a disease it is. I plan to focus a portion of my retirement advocating for a cure.

You did not deserve this. Nobody does. I applaud in the truest sense your courage and positive attitude. Thinking of you.

Reactions: Gordoff and Ladyfan

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I have been on a search of moving abroad for a while now. More musing than serious but it doesn't hurt to have a backup plan.

My general consensus is....

Though alot of countries have better social safety net than the USA (Europe, Canada, Australia), the housing costs are much, much more higher than earnings in these countries compared to the USA. Like same or more expensive than the USA but you make so much less. Yes you get some of it back by not paying healthcare but you are paying high taxes.

So we are sticking in New England for now. Best tradeoff of earnings, housing costs, quality of life. Plus MA and other Medicaid expanded states have good insurance fall backs should you get laid off.

What countries would you say are your top candidates? I spent a little time looking into Ireland and thought it might work.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
I am really sorry to hear this. Your positive attitude is wonderful. I am glad you are back home where you want to be. Take care, my friend.

Thank you, Carol.

It was a bad time, and I've had a few.

No need for sorry. As noted, I am extremely lucky and exceptionally blessed, particularly in my family and the few I call friend.

FWIW, I have found that the best place from which to operate, indeed the only place, is the present.

Not the past. Not the future.

"Living" in the past, especially relative to regret, will keep you stuck and get you nowhere.

Certainly, we all have to plan for the future. That is a practical approach.

However, in Western society, we are conditioned to worry about the future.

Many worry incessantly about money concerns, of course. They also worry about where life will take them, if they will succeed in material fashion and be loved, respected and happy.

All of this is understandable. Yet it's important not to allow our anxieties about the future and our place within in it to overwhelm that very future, as obsessive fears go jangling outward willy nilly.

I've said it before:

*This is it.*
Now is all the time you will ever have.

Life is contingent. Life is transient. Life is fragile. Life is suffering. Life is also beautiful.

Without succumbing to the morbid, you could die tomorrow.

You cannot say. You do not know.

As an agnostic raised Catholic, there are certain things I believe. But as long as I walk the earth, I will never know.

And, it's completely okay not to know. In fact, if you can grasp the idea, not knowing whether God exists, the true nature of reality, what will happen, et. al. can be profoundly freeing.

Rather than freak out at the prospect, acceptance of the fact that you do not know the answers to the above can, if understood properly, engender a lightness of spirit and acceptance of "what is."

So I don't know. So what?

I much prefer this humble admission to an obsession with such matters or a compulsive need to be "right." We all want to be right. But it ain't that important, and ultimately it doesn't matter much.

Accepting the vulnerability of life opens the heart and mind to an understanding of how precious it can be.

And this realization leads directly to the elevation of gratitude, appreciation, humility and compassion in one's life.

Some of you are old enough to remember that old Coke ad.

"It's The Real Thing." Well, that's the real thing.

That is my prolix piece for today.

Thank you for indulging it,

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.

To be clear: I use the term "Lou Gehrig's Disease" metaphorically. I simply mean I feel like the luckiest guy in the world.

Most of the time.

I could live anywhere in New England and be happy as a clam. It suits my soul.

And if I had to emigrate elsewhere, Canada (and France, and England) would be at the top of my list.

Last edited:

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
I am so incredibly sorry to hear this. My family has lots of ALS in our family and so I know first hand how terrible a disease it is. I plan to focus a portion of my retirement advocating for a cure.

You did not deserve this. Nobody does. I applaud in the truest sense your courage and positive attitude. Thinking of you.

Again, I do NOT have ALS.

All I meant was that I feel like the luckiest guy in the world. (Again, most of the time.)

Reactions: Gordoff and caz16

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad