Atlantic Standings Predictions Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Any team will have challenges when their best players go down, it's a strange thing to have as a concern specifically for Toronto only. Remember when Vegas missed the playoffs in 2022? Or how they dropped into the last WC spot in the West this past season? In between those seasons they literally won a Cup.

The league also had more parity last year as a whole, 1st and 7th in the league were only separated by a total of 5 points, and only 10 teams had 100+ pts, as opposed to the previous few seasons where there were 12-13 teams hitting that mark.
I don’t really understand your point? I originally responded to someone who said that none of Buffalo, Montreal, Detroit or Ottawa could pass up Toronto this year and I simply pointed out that Toronto doesn't have the depth anymore to be a playoff lock and that they could easily get passed up in the standing from one of these 4 teams.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I don’t really understand your point? I originally responded to someone who said that none of Buffalo, Montreal, Detroit or Ottawa could pass up Toronto this year and I simply pointed out that Toronto doesn't have the depth anymore to be a playoff lock and that they could easily get passed up in the standing from one of these 4 teams.
You talked about if Matthews gets hurt, any team is going to struggle a bit if their best player(s) goes down, even Cup favourites like Vegas. Also, I wrote in the post above about the various injuries the Leafs suffered last season and despite that they were never really in danger of missing the playoffs. What also gets missed in these hypothetical injury scenarios is that there's a good chance Buffalo, Montreal, Detroit or Ottawa can also easily suffer a bunch of injuries or lose players - we've already seen it happen with Ottawa / Buffalo repeatedly, and that these teams need pretty much near perfect health to successfully usurp one of FLA/TOR/TB/BOS.

Last edited:

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I think Buffalo has a solid chance if they can get decent goaltending. Ottawa and Montreal has an outside chance of knocking out the Leafs out of the playoff.

At this point Toronto is a 5 man team and I would argue they are even worst on paper than last year, which says a lot about where the team is heading.

I'm not sure how you could argue they are worse, unless you think for some reason that Tyler Beruzzi and his 21 goals is going to make or break this team.

I liked Beruzzi, I wish he stayed but the reality is, they won't even feel that loss.

Knies scored 15 goals as a rookie he's only getting better.

Mcmann scored 15 goals and 27 points in 56 games, baring injury there is no reason to believe he can't hit 20.

Robertson scored 14 goals in 56 games, we'll have to see if he get his head out of his ass but for now he's still here so he's included.

I've been saying Robertson can be a 25 goal man for a long time, and given the performance he had last year there is no reason to believe that's not true assuming he gets his head out of his ass and is allowed to play every game at the NHL level.

But even if he doesn't you still got Cowan and Minten pushing for spots, Minten already made the team out of camp last year so he's really close.

Between Knies, Mcmann, Robertson, Cowan and Minten I think Bertuzzi's goals are covered.

Is it defense where they got weaker? Because replaceing Gio with OEL, and Brodie with Tanev seems like an upgrade to me.

I love Gio, but Gio but Gio is 41 he might still be capable of being a 7/8 but as an everyday, every game player he's cooked.

OEL is a top 4 guy.

Brodie was GREAT for first 3 years of his but over the last 18 months he was captain of the struggle bus, he fell off HARD Tanev is a MASSIVE upgrade.

OR do you mean replaceing Samsonov who was unusable for the vast majority of the year with Stolarz? Because unless Stolarz starts Deliberately throwing games it is 1000% IMPOSSIBLE to be worse than Samsonov was.

I'm not saying there are no holes, they could use a top 6 LW, or a 3C, I'd go for the 3C because then Domi could slide up into a top 6 wing spot, Mcmann becomes the #3LW ang that LW is fixed.

But there are no areas where they got weaker.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Their current time in the top 4 is already unusual, another 3 years of the same 4 is unlikely.

Most probably would

I agree It's unusual but as of right now, I see no reason to believe the top 4 and Bottom 4 are changing anytime soon baring a career ending injury of some kind.

I could maybe see Ottawa getting in, if the Atlantic took both wildcard spots because they at least tried to get betterbut It's a 4/4 split I think the Atlantic stays staus Qou

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I agree It's unusual but as of right now, I see no reason to believe the top 4 and Bottom 4 are changing anytime soon baring a career ending injury of some kind.
That's because as of right now you're judging based on the past.
Two weeks into next season it could be obvious that things aren't that set in stone.

Just the simple fact that Detroit (a terrible team according to most) kept pace with Tampa most of last season should be an indication that it's not impossible to break into that top 4.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
That's because as of right now you're judging based on the past.
Two weeks into next season it could be obvious that things aren't that set in stone.

Just the simple fact that Detroit (a terrible team according to most) kept pace with Tampa most of last season should be an indication that it's not impossible to break into that top 4.

No I'm judging based on the moves I saw the bottom 4 teams make.

I don't like most of what Detroit did, except replaceing Perron with Tarasenko but the rest of their moves sucked.

I don't like anything Buffalo did, I don't think Ryan Mclode or Beck Malinstine is going to make a Damn bit of difference.

I don't think replaceing Skinner with Zucker is an upgrade.

If you wanted to you could look at Zucker as the replacement for Olofsson and maybe that's an upgrade but then that means you didn't replace Skinner which still leads to a downgrade.

I like what Ottawa did bringing in Ullmark, Perron and Jensen, although I think Jensen should should have been brought in as an addition rather than a direct replacement for Chychrun but I still like Jensen.

I don't think Ottawa gets in because I still think It's a 4/4 split but if It's 5/3 I could see Ottawa taking that 5th spot.

With Montreal I think the Laine risk is well worth taking but even if he scored 50 this year they aren't making the playoffs.

The reason I don't see the bottom 4 teams and top 4 teams changing is because I don't think the bottom 4 tried hard enough to close the gap.

Last edited:

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
"If your best player and starting goalie get injured for a long time you might miss the playoffs" In other news, water is wet. Never change HF :laugh:

Ulysses31

Oct 7, 2015
What's a computer?
One of Tampa, Toronto, and Boston is not making the playoffs this year.
b a tuff division, DRW gonna be least as good as last yr, buff be better, sabres b better, sens too. Can't see any off teams that missed being worse, even canadiens got laine. still decent chance tho IMO all 3 of those teams make it tho.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
b a tuff division, DRW gonna be least as good as last yr, buff be better, sabres b better, sens too. Can't see any off teams that missed being worse, even canadiens got laine. still decent chance tho IMO all 3 of those teams make it tho.
odds are certainly in favor of all three. My prediction that one doesn't.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

I don't like most of what Detroit did, except replaceing Perron with Tarasenko but the rest of their moves sucked.

I don't like anything Buffalo did, I don't think Ryan Mclode or Beck Malinstine is going to make a Damn bit of difference.

If you wanted to you could look at Zucker as the replacement for Olofsson and maybe that's an upgrade but then that means you didn't replace Skinner which still leads to a downgrade.

I like what Ottawa did bringing in Ullmark, Perron and Jensen, although I think Jensen should should have been brought in as an addition rather than a direct replacement for Chychrun but I still like Jensen.

I don't think Ottawa gets in because I still think It's a 4/4 split but if It's 5/3 I could see Ottawa taking that 5th spot.

With Montreal I think the Laine risk is well worth taking but even if he scored 50 this year they aren't making the playoffs.

The reason I don't see the bottom 4 teams and top 4 teams changing is because I don't think the bottom 4 tried hard enough to close the gap.
What you’re missing is those teams have core players heading into their primes. Guys like Stützle, Sanderson, Raymond, Seider, Power, Peterka, Slafkovsky, etc etc drive the improvement, while you’re focused mostly on depth veteran moves around the edges. If Ullmark gives Ottawa goaltending and Stützle bounces back to a 90+ point form that team is a legit playoff threat, and I’m
far from a believer in Ottawa.

Reactions: LiseL

sabremike

#1 Tageaholic
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY

You are ignoring the single biggest change we made: Behind the bench. We replaced a guy who was comically out of his depth coaching at this level with a bona-fide professional.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
You are ignoring the single biggest change we made: Behind the bench. We replaced a guy who was comically out of his depth coaching at this level with a bona-fide professional.

That I agree with Lindy is an infinitely better coach than anybody that the Sabres have had since Ruff's first stint ended.

That being said I do wonder how long he lasts because if the Sabres miss the playoffs again I think Adams gets fired, and if he gets fired a new GM may want to bring in a new coach

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Clearly two groups in this division. A group of good teams (Leafs, Lightning, Bruins, and Panthers) who will fight for top spot.
And a group of bad teams (Detroit, Buffalo, Montreal, and Ottawa) who will fight to not be the bottom club.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
What you’re missing is those teams have core players heading into their primes. Guys like Stützle, Sanderson, Raymond, Seider, Power, Peterka, Slafkovsky, etc etc drive the improvement, while you’re focused mostly on depth veteran moves around the edges. If Ullmark gives Ottawa goaltending and Stützle bounces back to a 90+ point form that team is a legit playoff threat, and I’m
far from a believer in Ottawa.

They also have to hit on their new coach to have a legitimate shot at catching the top 4 and that is a huge question mark compared to the top 4 teams.

Deadly Dogma

All I have is substantially vapid opinions
Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Which one? I don't think either one falls personally but if I HAD to guess I'd say Tampa is the most likely to fall, they feel like they are the closest
If Tanev and OEL get injured I think we will have a tough season and be fighting for a wild card, if they stay healthy and play to even 70% of what they have in the past we may win the division

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
If Tanev and OEL get injured I think we will have a tough season and be fighting for a wild card, if they stay healthy and play to even 70% of what they have in the past we may win the division

I disagree, it wouldn't be ideal but they survived that before Remember when they brought in Timmins? He was the 10th D man.

Remember last year when Rielly got suspended?

They won all 5 games.

The have survived injury or suspension before

Reactions: Deadly Dogma

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I think Buffalo has a solid chance if they can get decent goaltending. Ottawa and Montreal has an outside chance of knocking out the Leafs out of the playoff.

At this point Toronto is a 5 man team and I would argue they are even worst on paper than last year, which says a lot about where the team is heading.

Assuming their top 6 does not experience an inordinate amount of injuries, I can't see the leafs even having a chance of missing the playoffs. It's the one thing this leafs team is actually good at.

Reactions: Ulysses31

Yorkshire Leaf

Nov 13, 2014
The City of York
I’m no mathematician but I seem to be able to find a trend here…
So can I, in 2021/22 the Canadiens, Red Wings, Sabres and Senators were all absolute dog shit, in 2022/23 the Sabres were slightly better, in 2023/24, the Red Wings were slightly better, so my prediction for 2024/25 (based on the data presented) is the Senators to be slightly better than shite.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
The only correct take. I wouldn’t bet individually on any of the top 4 team to be outside the top 4 but I’d bet for sure that one of them will be.
Decent bet one will get hit with the injury bug to a key player or two. If they don't they all make it though. By injury bug I am talking 20+ games.

Last edited:

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Clearly two groups in this division. A group of good teams (Leafs, Lightning, Bruins, and Panthers) who will fight for top spot.
And a group of bad teams (Detroit, Buffalo, Montreal, and Ottawa) who will fight to not be the bottom club.
Detroit isn't a "bad" club.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad