Athletic rankings of 32 teams heading into the season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

McVespa99

May 13, 2007

Definitely a few headscratchers in this one

32. Sharks
31. Habs
30. Hawks
29. Ducks
28. Flyers
27. Jackets
26. Blues
25. Caps
24. Coyotes
23. Wings
22. Sabres
21. Preds
20. Kraken
19. Islanders
18. Canucks
17. Senators
16. Kings
15. Lightning
14. Jets
13. Flames
12. Pens
11. Wild
10. Panthers
9. Bruins
8. Devils
7. Knights
6. Avs
5. Leafs
4. Stars
3. Rangers
2. Oilers
1. Canes
Rangers, Flames and Jets seem way too high to me
Lightning and Kings too low
Bruins are probably too high also
Sabres up a few spots

• Haha
Reactions: Haatley

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Over the past half decade, there are 5 teams that separated from the pack. Toronto is one of them. Boston and TB likely on the downswing from that group but the others likely still good bets.
I don’t think Toronto has the history or had a remarkable off season to be considered so high. They haven’t improved much to put them where they are

Reactions: ImJustJokinen

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
From the surface, it's a decent projection. Look at it more in tiers, not as a straight ranking:
F7r9DcBXMAA4q5R

And it's based on analytics, so sure there are going to be some flaws in the model. I think it's reasonable to expect the Devils be ahead of the Rangers, considering how last season went and even looking at this pre-season. But 3v8 makes it sound more dramatic than it is. They are ranked in the same tier.
It's not the worst list but then again I thought last season that the Bruins might have problems making the playoffs so what do I know eh?

EMcx2

Dec 11, 2021
Over the past half decade, there are 5 teams that separated from the pack. Toronto is one of them. Boston and TB likely on the downswing from that group but the others likely still good bets.

Tampa
Vegas
Colorado
Boston

I only count 4. Toronto hasn't come close to winning a cup so they haven't separated themselves from the pack.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
From the top down

Edmonton - Too high (should be where Toronto is)
Rangers - Too high (Should be where Vegas is)
Leafs - Too high (Should be where Jersey is)
Knights - Too low (Should be where Edmonton is)
Devils - Too low (Should be where New York is)
Vancouver - Too high (Should be where Seattle is)
Seattle - Too low (Should be where Vancouver is)

I feel like this really highlights why the ranking teams 1-32 is nearly meaningless. Each of the placements you’re disagreeing with is a gap of about 1 win.

Reactions: mphmiles

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
Every time Dom's name pops up I wonder if his insatiable hatred for Drew Doughty extending to the Kings will ever expire

But every time the answer
His twitter account seems to indicate he did not agree with where Kings ended up. (too low) There were 3 of them doing rankings.

Sean did the story on the Kings.

That said TMac could be the millstone around the Kings neck in terms of ranking

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Tampa
Vegas
Colorado
Boston

I only count 4. Toronto hasn't come close to winning a cup so they haven't separated themselves from the pack.

Neither have the Canes, Oilers, or Rangers, and they're 1, 2 & 3.

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
3. Rangers
8. Devils

Lol what? Rangers are even slower than last year, when the devils skated them into the ground in the playoffs.
Yes this is strange. I bleed blue but I would have NJ top five and us closer to 10.

If you want to make an argument for NJ being a little lower due to possible goaltending questions I’m there for the discussion, but I don’t see any reason to have us this high.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Tampa
Vegas
Colorado
Boston

You even counted one of the wrong ones. I’ll give you a hint: emphasis is on regular season.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
From the surface, it's a decent projection. Look at it more in tiers, not as a straight ranking:
F7r9DcBXMAA4q5R

And it's based on analytics, so sure there are going to be some flaws in the model. I think it's reasonable to expect the Devils be ahead of the Rangers, considering how last season went and even looking at this pre-season. But 3v8 makes it sound more dramatic than it is. They are ranked in the same tier.
Is this a new Blackhawks logo?

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Is this a new Blackhawks logo?
Nope - and they even use the regular logo on the rest of the site.

Guessing whoever put together the chart didn't want to "offend" anyone by using the main Blackhawks logo, which is very on brand for The Athletic.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Nope - and they even use the regular logo on the rest of the site.

Guessing whoever put together the chart didn't want to "offend" anyone by using the main Blackhawks logo, which is very on brand for The Athletic.
Consider me offended, buddy

Reactions: Miri

mphmiles

Jan 1, 2017
From the top down

The difference between these teams is literally less than two points in the projection. They're all separated by less than one win during the season.

Most of the outrage in here seems to be based on people just reading OP's list because they didn't/can't read the article. Basically, Dom's model thinks there are a handful of teams that are really, really close near the top of the league.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
From the top down

Edmonton - Too high (should be where Toronto is)
Knights - Too low (Should be where Edmonton is)
Vancouver - Too high (Should be where Seattle is)
Seattle - Too low (Should be where Vancouver is)

Wouldn’t be 3 on 0 without complaining about the Oilers. The day they win the cup is going to be sweet, just to see how you squirm.

Reactions: AddyTheWrath

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad