Athletic rankings of 32 teams heading into the season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
I don't really get this list. The Oilers, who have never won a game round 3 with McDavid and only added Connor Brown, have higher odds to win than Vegas, who won the Cup easily and lost 1 guy? Toronto at 5? Because this is the year?

Also Sabres at 22 and Kings at 16 seem very off, how does Winnipeg slot in at 14?
For what it is worth, Vegas scored higher on the PDO index than any playoff team since they started recording that stat.

I mean they could have completely unsustainable shooting and save percentage again these playoffs, but I wouldn't bet on it.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
As much as I'd like to shit on The Athletic (as the quality of the site has deteriorated significantly in the past 3 years), what you're alluding to is not at all the case here as these projections are purely based on Dom's model and they generally do call out some of the potential flaws from the model that contribute to some of the quirky rankings within the actual articles.

Case in point for the Devils, Hamilton gets dinged for a poor 2021-2022 season (new team that overall struggled and an injury really negatively impacted his play) along with Schmid getting lit up on that same team as a 21 year old rookie.

View attachment 749260

View attachment 749261
At this point that basically is Skip Bayless Journalism.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
For what it is worth, Vegas scored higher on the PDO index than any playoff team since they started recording that stat.

I mean they could have completely unsustainable shooting and save percentage again these playoffs, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Its the year 2023, if people don't know that there's a lot of randomness in hockey or that the team with the most points in the regular season usually doesn't win the cup then they're a lost cause.

The rankings aren't THAT unreasonable, people just look at lists and think that gaps are even when they're not.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
From the surface, it's a decent projection. Look at it more in tiers, not as a straight ranking:
F7r9DcBXMAA4q5R

And it's based on analytics, so sure there are going to be some flaws in the model. I think it's reasonable to expect the Devils be ahead of the Rangers, considering how last season went and even looking at this pre-season. But 3v8 makes it sound more dramatic than it is. They are ranked in the same tier.
It's weird how when Seattle was crappy and missed by a mile, these Athletics "models" predicted 100 point seasons and playoff spots, but now that Seattle actually made the playoffs and had a (relatively) good season last year, their "models" have them on the outside looking in.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
It's weird how when Seattle was crappy and missed by a mile, these Athletics "models" predicted 100 point seasons and playoff spots, but now that Seattle actually made the playoffs and had a (relatively) good season last year, their "models" have them on the outside looking in.
Well they have them at 90 points so they have them close.

Maybe they downgraded Grubauer after two bad seasons in a row.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
I don't really get this list. The Oilers, who have never won a game round 3 with McDavid and only added Connor Brown, have higher odds to win than Vegas, who won the Cup easily and lost 1 guy? Toronto at 5? Because this is the year?

Also Sabres at 22 and Kings at 16 seem very off, how does Winnipeg slot in at 14?
If it’s season finish, is there any team more accurately placed than Toronto? They have kind of consistently shown to be right in that ballpark over and over and over again. Not like a bunch of other teams with wild swings.

• Haha
Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
From the top down

Edmonton - Too high (should be where Toronto is)
Rangers - Too high (Should be where Vegas is)
Leafs - Too high (Should be where Jersey is)
Knights - Too low (Should be where Edmonton is)
Devils - Too low (Should be where New York is)
Vancouver - Too high (Should be where Seattle is)
Seattle - Too low (Should be where Vancouver is)

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
From the top down

Edmonton - Too high (should be where Toronto is)
Rangers - Too high (Should be where Vegas is)
Leafs - Too high (Should be where Jersey is)
Knights - Too low (Should be where Edmonton is)
Devils - Too low (Should be where New York is)
Vancouver - Too high (Should be where Seattle is)
Seattle - Too low (Should be where Vancouver is)
Over the past half decade, there are 5 teams that separated from the pack. Toronto is one of them. Boston and TB likely on the downswing from that group but the others likely still good bets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad