Atd-ML#10 THE MINOR LEAGUE DRAFT

Know Your Enemy

Registered
Jul 18, 2004
North Vancouver
The Mincer Rays select D/RW Ken Randall

Randall was a colourfull slam-bang hockeyist, the kind of bulldog every coach wants in their dressing room. He handled the puck well, had a good shot and for a big man he could hustle. Although he has not been enshrined in the HHOF, he was nonetheless one of the top hockey players in the new NHL
Ultimate Hockey

Randall finished 1st,3rd,3rd,4th,6th,7th,9th,9th in scoring by defensemen during his 10 year NHL career from 1917 to 1927. He also spent time in the NHA prior to entering the NHL

Last edited:

papershoes

Dec 28, 2007
Kenora, Ontario
the greyhounds are pleased to select

paul ronty (c)
image_618.jpg

ronty provides a solid playmaking presence alongside 8-time 30 goal scorer paul maclean. ronty finished top-10 in assists 5 times, top-10 in points 4-times, and is a 4-time all-star.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Sorry fellas. I don't even know when was the last time I've been skipped... probably ATD8. The fun never stops at the 70's home. We're in the middle of a chili cookoff. I've never had margaritas before... damn, are they good.

Anyway, we are going to add to our first line and take RW Tony Amonte.
I will PM the next guy.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
The Dark Blues of Oxford select the star left winger who some credit with coming up with the idea of the Canadiens but who all recognize as the captain and playing coach of the Habs' first ever playoff appearance

Jimmy Gardner

GardnerJimmy.jpg

Stanley Cup Champion (1902, 1903, 1908, 1910)
Hockey Hall of Fame Induction (1962)​

Jimmy Gardner honed his hockey skills alongside Hall of Fame legend Dickie Boon, playing together in the streets of Montreal.

Over the course of his career, Gardner won four Stanley Cups, the first two in 1902 and 1903 with the Montreal Amateur Athletic Association team, and again in 1909 and 1910 with the Montreal Wanderers.

Between 1904 and 1907, he played in the original IHL, earning one Second Team All-Star selection in that time.

A talented left-winger, Gardner played two seasons with the Canadiens as a player-coach. He scored 19 points in 17 games from 1913 to 1915, a few years before the team joined the NHL.

Gardner was inducted to the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1962.
http://ourhistory.canadiens.com/player/Jimmy-Gardner

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
Well, with Ronty gone that makes my decision easier.

The Americans select D Jack Laviolette.

He scored 65 points in 138 games in the NHA. While it isn't exactly a fair comparison because he spent some time at forward, a comparable would be Art Ross who had 74 points in 131 games over the same time period. Those years encompassed Ross's prime from the ages of 24-31 while Laviolette was much older playing between the age of 30-37.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
I think we're up. The Melville Millionaires are proud to select a talented playmaking centre (three top six finishes in assists), a Conn Smythe winner and a guy with a penchant for outstanding playoff performances. He is also an SJHL alum, and he has some experience playing in The Vault, thanks to his junior days with the vaunted Notre Dame Hounds:

C Brad Richards​

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
I think we're up. The Melville Millionaires are proud to select a talented playmaking centre (three top six finishes in assists), a Conn Smythe winner and a guy with a penchant for outstanding playoff performances. He is also an SJHL alum, and he has some experience playing in The Vault, thanks to his junior days with the vaunted Notre Dame Hounds:

C Brad Richards​
****...Cotton is going to kill me lol. We wanted Richards..but thought he had a better chance of lasting to the next pick then Cain.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
****...Cotton is going to kill me lol. We wanted Richards..but thought he had a better chance of lasting to the next pick then Cain.
You should never be disappointed with getting Herb Cain in the MLD. He's an excellent offensive LW for this level. He'll get points. Talented goal scorer. Cain-xxxx-Redmond is going to be potent.

I think Richards is good enough to be picked in the ATD as a 13th forward. Excellent character. Good work ethic. Not dangerous of a scorer to be on a first or second line. Not good enough defensively for a two-way or defensive line. Might be good enough for a playmaking centre on the third scoring line. At this level, he's a tremendous first line playmaking centre because of his big-game mentality, and his ability to play in all situations.

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
You should never be disappointed with getting Herb Cain in the MLD. He's an excellent offensive LW for this level. He'll get points. Talented goal scorer. Cain-xxxx-Redmond is going to be potent.

I think Richards is good enough to be picked in the ATD as a 13th forward. Excellent character. Good work ethic. Not dangerous of a scorer to be on a first or second line. Not good enough defensively for a two-way or defensive line. Might be good enough for a playmaking centre on the third scoring line. At this level, he's a tremendous first line playmaking centre because of his big-game mentality, and his ability to play in all situations.
We were hoping to have Richards between those two but oh well. Richards is definitely a great selection.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
The Yaroslavl Manglers select former Rocket Richard trophy winner Rick Nash (LW)

EDIT: PM sent

Last edited:

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
I'll make a couple of picks for the derelict Bruins team. At this point, pappy and I are in loose collaboration on this, but don't count on anything in particular going forward.

The...what is our team name here...Newfoundland Fog Devils select defenseman Kimmo Timonen.

Oh, we're up again. The Newfoundland Fog Devils select...screw, George McNamara just went off the board...ok then, we'll take 4-time top-10 goal / 3-time top-10 points scorer, hero of the Habs' 23-24 Cup Finals victory, surly right wing Billy Boucher.

And finally, an O6 era left wing who I think is pretty underrated - big, solid 2-way player, 2nd team all-star, 5-time all-star game particiant and playoff hero in 1953: Ed Sandford.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Yaroslav Manglers selects
stallone-sylvester-rocky-arms-3700761.jpg

- IMO, the 2nd best overall offensive D-Men left, after George Owen. By all accounts, the guy was pretty solid defensively. Had decent size as well.
- One ASG
- First winner of the Pekka Rautakallio trophy.
- Obviously good enough in the NHL, but he returned in Europe for the sake of his family.
- 154 pts in 235 games.

Last edited:

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Sun Belt
The Fog Devils are starting out behind the 8-ball, but Timonen + Boucher = pretty decent recovery. Boucher's good enough to do just fine anchoring a scoring line in this thing.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
C'mon VI, thought you were better at idenfiying players...

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
The Melville Millionaires are pleased to select a two-time Vezina finalist, a goaltender who had some outstanding playoffs, including the Vancouver Canucks in the 1994 Stanley Cup playoffs. He's also, arguably, the second-best puck-handling goaltender in the draft, behind only Ron Hextall:

G Kirk McLean​

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
The Fog Devils are starting out behind the 8-ball, but Timonen + Boucher = pretty decent recovery. Boucher's good enough to do just fine anchoring a scoring line in this thing.

Thanks, cotton. I'm really not familiar with most of the MLD players and at this point I'm just working off of the list for ATDers who didn't get picked in the main draft. Boucher was one of my extras from ATD#8. I really don't want to (and can't) take this team all the way through the draft by myself, but hopefully we can cobble together some group of people who can.

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
With their 3rd Round selection, 36th overall, the Peterborough Petes select defenseman Gilles Marotte

92950701.jpg

Defenceman Gilles Marotte played over 800 NHL games for five different clubs in the 1960s and '70s. He was a fine playmaker who could work the point on the power play and handle the rough going in his own end.

...and with their 4th round selection, 37th overall, the Petes select another defenseman, someone who will be coming to the rink barefoot, Mike Milbury

mike-milbury-bruins-defense.jpg

Mike Milbury was a rugged defenceman played over 750 games for the Boston Bruins in the 1970s and '80s. His defensive zone coverage was exemplary and he used an assortment of tactics to thwart opposition forwards.

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
Adirondack takes the 4-time 1st team PCHA allstar, 2-time assist leader, and 4-time league champion LW Smokey Harris

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad