Atd-ML#10 THE MINOR LEAGUE DRAFT

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
The Americans select D Dave Babych.

He may not be the BDA but he's one of the best offensively. He has three top-5 finishes for defensemen in scoring and he was the sixth highest scoring defenseman of the 1980s behind Coffey, Bourque, Murphy, Wilson, and Housley.

Plus who can resist that 'stache?

VanIslander

20 years of All-Time Drafts on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Dickie Boon

P195201S.jpg

Stanley Cup Champion (1902, 1903)
Hockey Hall of Fame Induction (1952)

Fast and wiry, Boon is credited with being the first player to use the poke-check.
Rich "Dickie" Boon excelled at a number of sports while growing up at the family homestead located on the present site of the Windsor Train Station in Montreal. In addition to hockey, he enjoyed speed skating in his early teens and won the 1892 Junior Amateur Championship. He also participated in water sports such as rowing and canoeing.
Boon began playing organized hockey in 1894 at the age of 16 with the "Young Crystals" at the old Crystal Rink in Montreal before moving on to the Monarch Hockey Club in 1897. In 1900 he joined the Montreal Amateur Athletic Association Junior Hockey Club and was promoted to the senior team (MAAA) the following year where he played the position of cover point, similar to today's defenseman.

Dickie Boon was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1952. He was also honoured as one of Montreal's outstanding sportsmen by the Sportsmen's Association of Montreal in July 1954.
http://www.legendsofhockey.net:8080...?mem=p195201&type=Player&page=bio&list=#photo

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
It's all about the playoffs.

In a 7 game series, I'll always prefer Roach to Luit.

Not that I necessarily disagree, but why do you say this? Both are under .500 in the playoffs.

and he's in your division, not ours :laugh:

Laughing because I have to face the best goalie? Or because I admitted my divisional rival got the best goalie? I hope it's not the latter. I don't believe in holding my cards close to my chest, so to speak. If it's a good pick, I like to say so. I'd expect the same.

The Oxford Dark Blues select defenseman Dickie Boon.

PM sent

Nice one. I like Boon a lot. He was my #1 defenseman last MLD so I'm proud to see him go 100 picks sooner this time.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
papershoes skipped

Evil Speaker is ON THE CLOCK (PM sent)

(gettting skipped isn't such a big deal in the minor draft. one can send me or others a shortlist beforehand, or else simply make up the pick as soon as you can)

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
20. Evil Speaker - Dayton Ohio Mincer Rays - skipped

22. seventieslord & vancityluongo - Regina Capitals - ON THE CLOCK

papershoes

Dec 28, 2007
Kenora, Ontario
sorry guys, my internet crapped out.

the greyhounds are pleased to select,

paul maclean (rw)
MACLEAN771.jpg

vanislander said:
he owned the corners and the boards, drawing defensemen wide, opening up room for his team's centre, burning defenses when they didn't commit physically... 324 goals, 673 points in a mere 719 NHL games (career average of 37 goals a season over 9 seasons!! almost a point per game average!), three 40+ goal seasons, eight 30+ goal seasons, six 100+ PIM seasons (968 PIM total), all-star game (1985), a strong power forward, 4th in Winnipeg Jets all-time career scoring

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
papershoes, i just realized you quoted something i wrote in a previous draft in support of your pick :laugh: ... that was startling to realize! ..

almost as surprising as just now learning that he didn't go in the main draft this time, as i'd assumed

a goal scorer who'll give d-men fits... i loved that guy! ... he brings offense and physicality to any team, should be at least a main ATD fourth line regular imo

great pick!

there's a guy who fits a moustache!!

Error_82-83_OPC_-_MacLean_B.jpg

Last edited:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Do we really want to just cancel Bruin72 from the draft if he doesn't show up today? The draft has gone very quickly and that's not his fault, even if not showing up, is.

At the very least, we may want to try begging a few experienced GMs to at least fill in for him.

Know Your Enemy

Registered
Jul 18, 2004
North Vancouver
The Americans select D Dave Babych.

He may not be the BDA but he's one of the best offensively. He has three top-5 finishes for defensemen in scoring and he was the sixth highest scoring defenseman of the 1980s behind Coffey, Bourque, Murphy, Wilson, and Housley.

Plus who can resist that 'stache?

Nice pick, but Babych was the 10th highest scoring defensemen of the 80's (79-80 to 88-89).

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
Tidewater selects G Mike Karakas

CMT1936.jpg

1936 Calder Trophy Winner
1938 Stanley Cup Champion
1945 Second Team All-Star
Member of the US Hockey Hall of Fame

Karakas posted 6-2 record, 2 SO, and 1.71 GAA while wearing a steel boat to protect his broken toe in 1938, leading a team that had finished the season 11 games under .500 to the Cup. Although his career was shortened over a contract disputer (over a $500 raise), he recorded 28 shutouts and GAA of 2.92 over his 336 game career

chiold.gif
monold.gif

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Do we really want to just cancel Bruin72 from the draft if he doesn't show up today? The draft has gone very quickly and that's not his fault, even if not showing up, is.

At the very least, we may want to try begging a few experienced GMs to at least fill in for him.
it was clearly stated, in bolded color, exactly when the draft would begin... Bruin72 knew it began Friday at noon, if he's not here by early sunday (round 3 or 4) he's out, simple as that

as for begging experienced GMs... they each received at least one PM to join and a 10-day period in which to do so

no mickey mouse throwing rules and procedures out the window (it's 5am here, i'm committed to making this work, but to be worth anything a game can't be all loosy goosy): though if a guy like pappy or bm67 would wander by today and wanna co-GM with the absent newbie, that's totally within the structure of the game ;)

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
With our 2nd Pick and 3rd Pick..

LW - Herb Cain (1933-1946)
herbcain.jpg

Legends of Hockey said:
Born a year later than the records usually show, Cain was a tremendous player during his lengthy and successful career. In 1939, Cain was sent to Boston for XXXXXX XXXXX, and he became one of the most popular players in town. At the time, he became the 13th player to score 200 career goals and won the scoring championship with a then-record 82 points.

seventieslord said:
Ahh, Herb Cain. The classic MLD top-line forward.

God Bless Canada said:
Nice grab with Herb Cain. More than just a guy who benefitted from the war years - two top 10 goals finishes in the 30s.

Accomplishments
NHL Second All-Star Team (1944)
NHL Scoring Leader (1944)
Set NHL record for most points in a season with 82 (1944)
Stanley Cup Champions (1935, 1941)

D - Dave Langevin (1979-1987)
158996_s.jpg

Legends of Hockey said:
Dave Langevin was a solid all-round defenceman for eight years in the 1980s. He played efficiently in his own zone and made accurate outlet passes to his forwards. His solid positional play was a lesser-known factor in the New York Islanders' Stanley Cup dynasty in the early part of the decade.

Wiki Profile said:
Langevin was a great all-around defenseman whose forte was full-body checking. Langevin was instrumental in the Islanders come-back victory in the 1985 playoffs against the Washington Capitals. Benched for the first two losses, he entered game three with a decisive physical presence, most notably checking sniper Mike Gartner with a powerful hip check. The Islanders went on to win three straight and became the only team ever to lose the first two games of a 5 game series and go on to win.

Accomplishments
Played in NHL All-Star Game (1983)
Stanley Cup Champions (1980, 1981, 1982, 1983)
Inducted into the U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame (1993)​

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
Tidewater selects F Harry Trihey

P195008S.jpg

1899 Stanley Cup Champion
1900 Stanley Cup Champion
Member of the Hockey Hall of Fame

An offensive force for the Montreal Shamrocks, Trihey once scored 10 goals in a single game. Trihey had strong puck handling and leadership skills, devising strategies for his team instead of simply improvising plays.

4627477.jpg

Last edited:

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
I have a big banquet tonight (featuring possibly hockey's fastest skater ever, Ray Scapinello) so when it's our turn, PM raleh.

Stunned that the Speaker didn't pick George Owen. I'm thrilled he's part of our organization. And we'll give him our ultimate honour: he will be our captain. I think he's the most dangerous defenceman out there for the offensive zone. Back-to-back 12 goal seasons for a defenceman in that time is incredible. It also fills our early era quota.

We nabbed him early in MLD 8, and we're thrilled to have him on our team again. Owen was No. 1 on my defenceman list, and he was the one player in the entire who I looked at and said "he has to be on our team."

Palffy's a game-breaker at the MLD level. He's one of those guys who is tailor-made to the MLD. He's not good enough defensively, or physical enough, to play a third or fourth line role in the ATD. The only spot that he fits in for an ATD is on a third scoring lines, and few teams employ that strategy. He's not the rah-rah type you'd want as a spare forward. But in the MLD, he's terrific with his skill level and offensive ability. Much like what I said about Kent Nilsson - he's not facing the cream of the crop defensive players in the MLD. Ziggy was second on my RW list.

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
it was clearly stated, in bolded color, exactly when the draft would begin... Bruin72 knew it began Friday at noon, if he's not here by early sunday (round 3 or 4) he's out, simple as that

as for begging experienced GMs... they each received at least one PM to join and a 10-day period in which to do so

no mickey mouse throwing rules and procedures out the window (it's 5am here, i'm committed to making this work, but to be worth anything a game can't be all loosy goosy): though if a guy like pappy or bm67 would wander by today and wanna co-GM with the absent newbie, that's totally within the structure of the game ;)
Hey, I will step in for Bruin72 if he doesn't show up soon. Hadn't really planned to participate as I felt the need for a break. Will take a while to get up to speed as I haven't given it much thought. Don't hold things up waiting for me. I will make up the picks as soon as I get my head around it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad