ATD Chat Thread XX

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
IMG_5639.jpeg

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Idea for an offseason draft - how about Post-2005 Lockout draft, but only for players that have career-worthy numbers. Their careers could have started pre-2005? Too boring?

VanIslander

20 years of All-Time Drafts on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Idea for an offseason draft - how about Post-2005 Lockout draft, but only for players that have career-worthy numbers. Their careers could have started pre-2005? Too boring?
A post-lockout PRODUCTION only draft would be too stats heavy;

How about another "Era-draft" with a hard line of eligibility. An arbitrary elegant "anyone who started their NHL career after December 31st, 1999: a totally 21st Century Draft); or, an all-time draft that MUST include from this century: 1. a top-6 line, and either a 2a) bottom-6 line or 2b) defensive pairing plus either a 3a) starting G or 3b)coach.

Basically, a draft with hard and fast and ideally elegant rules, whatever happens!

Why not a QUARTER CENTURY TEAM? It'd take us from 1999 to today! It's a History board thread away from happening anyways! (Or... wait for the spring/summer of 2025 for that).

It's a summer project worthy thing! If 4 are willing... any history draft should be able to launch on this board, based on precedent.

The fall season may see the 2024 MLD, OPPF or ATD Redux.

Last edited:
Reactions: jigglysquishy

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I'd be down for either OPPF or Pre-Consolidation Draft, but not right now. More like in October when the cold breeze comes back and hockey season is starting.

Reactions: VanIslander

VanIslander

20 years of All-Time Drafts on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Er. I liked the above before reading it.
Sundin is so under referenced historically.
I went to games often during my 3rd year of grad school (research at the great UofT library) and he was CLEARLY the best, 2nd or 3rd best skater every time he was on the ice. It was OBVIOUS!

I recall one game where Sundin and Belfour were the three stars of the game. The TV crew refused to give a third star. It was noted on the 11pm news by Squire Barnes of BCTV (now Telus? ... no, that other Albertan company? er... oh, yeah, it went "Global").

Sundin was wasted in Toronto.
GMs and owners ought to be ashamed.

Last edited:

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Well only 1/3 of the league played systems until Gretzky came along so it stands to reason Mario had a tougher league to play against- thanks to Gretzky

Nope.

Really bored of the argument that the league was bad right up until Mario hit his stride.. can't even be bothered doing it again. Sorry, the league didn't change much in 4 years.

Seeing Lemieux's age 30 season as the best out of these two players should be a very obvious clue that these adjustments are garbage.

Last edited:

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Nope.

Really bored of the argument that the league was bad right up until Mario hit his stride.. can't even be bothered doing it again. Sorry, the league didn't change much in 4 years.

Seeing Lemieux's age 30 season as the best out of these two players should be a very obvious clue that these adjustments are garbage.
Bored or not, Gretzky and Bowman both said most teams were not playing systems until Gretzky came along. Then the league became a snoozefest of traps for awhile. I'm not vouching for this guy's adjustment formula, but I'm taking that as a fact if those two are saying it. And I actually stopped watching hockey for a few years because of the trap- it was so boring.

Last edited:

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
So, we're wrapping up the ATD. Thought it might be a good time to put out another feeler to see if there's any growing interest in a project. I'm still willing to help administrate it.

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
It’s time to start re-doing the positional lists.

I’d be interested in the women’s hockey project as well, but I think we would hit serious issues with participation.

Reactions: ImporterExporter

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
It’s time to start re-doing the positional lists.

I’d be interested in the women’s hockey project as well, but I think we would hit serious issues with participation.
I agree on both accounts. Which positional list should we do? The defensemen project is the oldest, but the centers may have seen the most movement, and of course, it includes McDavid.

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
I agree on both accounts. Which positional list should we do? The defensemen project is the oldest, but the centers may have seen the most movement, and of course, it includes McDavid.
I’d like to start in goal and work out over the years. It’s been over ten years, there should be some decent movement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad