ATD Chat Thread XVI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Worf boring? Wtf? Worf is one of the most interesting character.

Riker is indeed a poor man's Kirk, and he's basically just a pawn to be used.He's decoration.La Forge is OK nothing more.

The show is Picard, Data and Worf, + Q and some outstanding guess.

Troi was there cause she was good looking.

Transferring the discussion -

Troi's looks - I never understood. I never found her the least bit attractive, but whatever - that's a matter of taste.

Worf is the great warrior who is the first guy to get knocked out in any fight. I think I just find the whole Klingon culture obnoxious in TNG as well as DS9. Picard carries the show, as does Data. When Q was on screen (first episode notwithstanding) he was fabulous. They had some truly great one-off episodes, but I thought the lack of any arc probably held them back. DS9 solves that problem I thought, and the arcs made for some truly awesome storytelling, but the 25 episode seasons give you enough time to take a break and get to know the characters.

That might be one thing missing from a lot of modern shows. To make the plots tighter, you cut down from the 22-25 episode seasons to 10-13 episodes. The plot then becomes denser and moves at a faster pace (essentially a long movie), instead of having some plots where you limit the grand storytelling design to focus on the personal.

Also - Chief O'Brian and Dr. Bashir is top 5 bromance in TV history.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Yes, it has a game of thrones like political dimension for sure. I personally love it but it's not for everyone.

Only problem with the expanse is that the main actors aren't amazing like other shows. They are adequate... But nothing like Patrick Stewart or the guy who played Adama or the woman who played the President. Edit: Amos and Alex are great but they are basically sidekicks.
Amos is by far the best character on the show. But I'll agree - there's a lack of... gravitas?

Also, re: the books issue. I don't know if you read them, but the scope and tone changes *a lot* after the first three. It's not bad, but it's different.

Reactions: TheDevilMadeMe

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
About 2001: Space Odyssey: Many fans prefer the HAL 9000 story line, because it relates to our era and the dangers of artificial intelligence, but for me this was the most superficial topic of the movie and my least favorite (though still good, and amazing for a ''3rd ranked storyline/topic'' inside one movie).

The most amazing scenes were the monkey tribes (when you watch it the first time you're not sure what the hell you're listening to) and the scene when Dave sees himself ageing in the white luxurious room, the passage of time.That last one is by far my favorite scene.

Also, the moon scene was great and creepy in a good way.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
About 2001: Space Odyssey: Many fans prefer the HAL 9000 story line, because it relates to our era and the dangers of artificial intelligence, but for me this was the most superficial topic of the movie and my least favorite (though still good, and amazing for a ''3rd ranked storyline/topic'' inside one movie).

The most amazing scenes were the monkey tribes (when you watch it the first time you're not sure what the hell you're listening to) and the scene when Dave sees himself ageing in the white luxurious room, the passage of time.That last one is by far my favorite scene.

Also, the moon scene was great and creepy in a good way.
Don't get me started on 2001. That movie is f***ing perfection.

I also don't really think they are different "storylines" as much as three very separate acts telling the same story. The end is interesting because it's the climax, but I thought Hal provided some excellent tension in building it up.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Loved the holodeck.

So did the amazing Lieutenant Barclay :lol:

The episode where he becomes a super genius is still one of my favorite, one of the most hilarious moment of the series is when he connects his brain to the computer and then you have the lame special effect of lights popping up on his head :lol:

Reactions: TheDevilMadeMe

Ben Grimm

It's clobberin time!🥊
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Yesterday was a good day. My wife was cleared to do the oral defense of her PhD thesis.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Of Sid's 77 points this year, only 18 have come on the power play. 23.4%

Of anyone in the top 20 in scoring, only Mitch Marner (22.5) and Parnarin (21.7) have a better ES scoring rate. Nobody else is remotely close to those 3 as most of the top scorers are near or above 30%.

Kucherov for example has a whopping 40 (out of 101) points on the PP. That's essentially a 40% rate which is absurd.

Reactions: BenchBrawl

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Of Sid's 77 points this year, only 18 have come on the power play. 23.4%

Of anyone in the top 20 in scoring, only Mitch Marner (22.5) and Parnarin (21.7) have a better ES scoring rate. Nobody else is remotely close to those 3 as most of the top scorers are near or above 30%.

Kucherov for example has a whopping 40 (out of 101) points on the PP. That's essentially a 40% rate which is absurd.

Sid would still be my #1 pick this year if I want a SC.

Reactions: seventieslord

Ben Grimm

It's clobberin time!🥊
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
This is the only defense she needs. :naughty: ...

Agreed. I read an HF post this year which read "All intelligent people agree with this." :laugh: That's very similar to the definition of trolling we used in the HF rules when I was a mod. 2 of my "favorites" are posted above. My dad was a History Professor and my son is a 140 pound honor student with a 4.6 GPA and a 1490 on his SAT. I'm sure most people could beat them up. So? ;) I love the nuh uh argument. It may become my exclusive rebuttal in the ATD from now on. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: ImporterExporter

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Burnside: USA, Canada give fans one of the best hockey games of all time

Rare, solid piece from ESPN on the magnitude of the 2010 Olympic final.

Pronger was asked if he had ever played in a more emotional game. A four-time Olympian, a Stanley Cup champion and former Hart Trophy winner, Pronger paused. He noted the 2007 Cup-winning game when he was with Anaheim, and when he was with Edmonton playing against Carolina in Game 7 of the 2006 Cup finals.

"But the Olympics, being at home here, gold-medal game, overtime," Pronger said, shaking his head almost in dismay. "You're going to see a lot of kids growing up now wishing they were Sidney Crosby scoring in overtime, winning a gold medal, and that's pretty special."

Ben Grimm

It's clobberin time!🥊
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
i

Burnside: USA, Canada give fans one of the best hockey games of all time Rare, solid piece from ESPN on the magnitude of the 2010 Olympic final. Pronger was asked if he had ever played in a more emotional game. A four-time Olympian, a Stanley Cup champion and former Hart Trophy winner, Pronger paused. He noted the 2007 Cup-winning game when he was with Anaheim, and when he was with Edmonton playing against Carolina in Game 7 of the 2006 Cup finals. "But the Olympics, being at home here, gold-medal game, overtime," Pronger said, shaking his head almost in dismay. "You're going to see a lot of kids growing up now wishing they were Sidney Crosby scoring in overtime, winning a gold medal, and that's pretty special."
I was gonna post here about the ESPN piece. The other side of hockey is Isles fans calling Tavares traitor. Even Gordie Howe and Bobby Hull didn't play their whole careers for one team back in the 70s. Those fans need to grow up.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
i

I was gonna post here about the ESPN piece. The other side of hockey is Isles fans calling Tavares traitor. Even Gordie Howe and Bobby Hull didn't play their whole careers for one team back in the 70s. Those fans need to grow up.

That's such an awesome picture. Yeah, I know, it's Sid but even as an American myself that was a truly epic game. Everything you could want from a hockey title game, especially considering where the game was being played, and the past short comings of Canada @ the Olympics in the 90's and 06. That's why I think it was every bit as monumental as the 72 Summit Series which was much more about politics than anything.

Agree completely on the Tavares situation as well.

If those fans were even remotely rational they'd direct their ire at the management types who dropped the ball repeatedly while Tavares was in NY. JT didn't construct those bleh rosters over the years. And at the end of the day he wanted to go to his hometown team that was on the upswing. I don't blame him at all.

I'll say the same thing if McDavid walks at the end of his current deal with Edmonton and their dumpster fire. Should be right about the time the Penguins will need a franchise C to take over for the white wizard #87. :naughty:

Ben Grimm

It's clobberin time!🥊
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
That's such an awesome picture. Yeah, I know, it's Sid but even as an American myself that was a truly epic game. Everything you could want from a hockey title game, especially considering where the game was being played, and the past short comings of Canada @ the Olympics in the 90's and 06. That's why I think it was every bit as monumental as the 72 Summit Series which was much more about politics than anything. Agree completely on the Tavares situation as well. If those fans were even remotely rational they'd direct their ire at the management types who dropped the ball repeatedly while Tavares was in NY. JT didn't construct those bleh rosters over the years. And at the end of the day he wanted to go to his hometown team that was on the upswing. I don't blame him at all. I'll say the same thing if McDavid walks at the end of his current deal with Edmonton and their dumpster fire. Should be right about the time the Penguins will need a franchise C to take over for the white wizard #87. :naughty:
Agreed. I become more of a Crosby (and OV) fan everyday. If Tavares didn't go somewhere else and never won a Cup he would hear the "He never won a Cup" complaint from the same fans the way guys such as Barkley and Ewing do. It was fun growing up in the 70s before Gretzky, Magic, and Bird, because fans weren't such ring counters. They would look at a players whole career. The 1980 Olympics and the 1996 WC are also some of my favorite championships.

Last edited:

Ben Grimm

It's clobberin time!🥊
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
...I'll say the same thing if McDavid walks at the end of his current deal with Edmonton and their dumpster fire. Should be right about the time the Penguins will need a franchise C to take over for the white wizard #87. :naughty:
We heard it here first from NHL Insider IE. McDavid's going to the Pens! ;)

Ben Grimm

It's clobberin time!🥊
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Once Gretzky had dinner at Charles Barkley's house. Mrs Barkley said "Great One, pass the gravy." Sir Charles quickly snatched the gravy and said "In this house I'm the Great One". :laugh:

Reactions: Habsfan18

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Crosby heating up.Now 4th in scoring with a high % of his poijnts at ES, great faecoff %, great defensively, pushing his team into the playoffs.

Reactions: seventieslord

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Top 3 has some serious separation though. Still a good season though.

Yeah, but Crosby is a much better all-around player than Kucherov, Kane and McDavid.

Not sure 10+ pts is worth more than everything Sid bring to the table.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
We shall see, but if he finishes red hot and Pittsburgh make the playoffs, I called it earlier in this thread.

Crosby still #1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad