ATD 2011 Draft Thread II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

matsblue13

Dec 18, 2010
Caledon
I'd rather not have one, it's a learning process. To be honest, I haven't taken a look at previous draft lists, but I will. I still feel Al MacInnis is a solid defensive anchor. And Mats and him on the powerplay would work well. Although, I feel I need to research players I haven't seen play. Thanks for the advice guys.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
A mulligan because of a questionable pick? No ****ing way , let him live with his choice.What's the point of all of this if there's no place for GM skills? cmon , the guy truly likes Sundin , his nickname is matsblue13 afterall

If we start this , where do we stop ? We'll need a committee for mulligan now?

Leafs Forever

Jul 14, 2009
I'm pretty on the fence. It's bad, but not like, say, Gipper at a LC draft selecting a certain guy who never played in a league close to the NHL. On the other hand, it is still pretty awful.

I wouldn't have picked him either, but I'm all for people shaking things up.

I know a few people had their eyes on Pronger moving up and he did.

Try different things.. otherwise you might as well just copy the list from the last draft and save everyone the trouble. Especially if you are like me and hit submit before checking for names and get sworn at and accused of not upholding democracy.

I don't even like Sundin that much and I'd have a hard time saying he can't compete with many of the players selected so far..

He might not win of course but he isn't a horrible pick by any means.

PS: democracy is the worst form of government, except for the others we've tried. God save the Queen.

I'm cool with guys shaking things up. They just have some good, new reasons to do so. The shakers in this draft have all presented solid reasoning for their selection. matsblue has copy and pasted all the usual Sundin accomplishments everyone knows, some of which are rather irrelevant.

To the PS: I'll try a new line I came up with- every form of government would work perfectly if humans were not greedy. But because all humans are greedy, every form of government does not work perfectly.

Leaf Lander

Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
I'd rather not have one, it's a learning process. To be honest, I haven't taken a look at previous draft lists, but I will. I still feel Al MacInnis is a solid defensive anchor. And Mats and him on the powerplay would work well. Although, I feel I need to research players I haven't seen play. Thanks for the advice guys.

we all started out pretty much the same as you are now.

You got 15 min to change your pick though if you decide too

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
I don't think Sundin is a top 50-60 either..

I'm just saying let the guy have fun having his all time favourite player, and at the same time learning why he shouldn't have had him yet. :)

But he clearly isn't learning anything if his first move is to jump on the guy in his username, a guy who would be available two or more rounds from now. There is a whole other world of hockey out there and it starts with research.

No wonder new blood is needed in these things.

If the end result of new blood is that picks like that will become commonplace, I'll be faced with a hard choice- drop out, because the ATD will never again advance one's insight into the past, or continue participating because I'll win every year. As someone who enjoys learning and researching the game's history, the choice actually isn't that hard at all.

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
To the PS: I'll try a new line I came up with- every form of government would work perfectly if humans were not greedy. But because all humans are greedy, every form of government does not work perfectly.

Not every form. It's pretty difficult to have a dictatorship with no greed.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
what's the point of not mentionning undrafted players if anytime there's a questionnable pick we give a mulligan , as far as I'm concerned I'm STRONGLY against any of that , how can we take this draft seriously and work on it so hard if anytime we're making a strange pick we get a mulligan , might as well pick anybody and just wait to see if people will give me a mulligan.

I hate mulligans , it reminds me of one guy I know that brag about scoring in the 70s in golf , until I played with him and he took mulligans at every turn.

Leaf Lander

Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
A mulligan because of a questionable pick? No ****ing way , let him live with his choice.What's the point of all of this if there's no place for GM skills? cmon , the guy truly likes Sundin , his nickname is matsblue13 afterall

Over the years here in the draft he wouldn't be the first to change his pick heck some have even done it after a few others have made their selections.

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
Ehat's the point of not mentionning undrafted players if anytime there's a qeustionnable pick we give a mulligan , as far as I'm concerned I'm STRONGLY against any of that , how can we take this draft seriously and work on it so hard if anytime we're making a strange pick we get a mulligan , might as well pick anybody and just wait to see if people will give me a mulligan.

Why would you think that an advantageous thing to do? There's no strategic value in it. Great, pick Joe Sakic at #1 because your username is SakicRox3000. But don't expect to a) learn anything b) build a competitive team.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Why would you think that an advantageous thing to do? There's no strategic value in it. Great, pick Joe Sakic at #1 because your username is SakicRox3000. But don't expect to a) learn anything b) build a competitive team.

I was exagerating to make a point , I'm not the one with the pick so questionable people INSIST to give me a mulligan.

Leaf Lander

Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
remember reen we don't want to turn off the novice history buff from participating we want to inspire interest and growth of everyone's hockey knowledge.

I see you point and most here won't need a mulligan though we have all had one before and I know I did when i picked my 3rd goalie a few yrs ago lol but who cares about a 3rd stringer goalie eh... hardcore history of hockey and all time draft gm'ds... that's who!

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Well it isn't for everyone else. Perhaps you don't care much for the no undrafted players rule, but I think a lot more people do, and we do live in a democracy.

I see what he's talking about, another example being people with usernames dedicated to players(the most obvious example isn't alone either, my last username was no better), it is kind of funny. I have no issue with the rule at all, I even like it there, despite my own opinions that it does very little. Really, allusions, any allusions, are just as worse, and even worse yet is when people speculate on the value of said undrafted(I've seen it happen many times). If I remember right, someone(can't remember, and wouldn't say if I did) did that and it actually affected the draft.

Not that I'm saying to get rid of the rule, it's very helpful and makes things much simpler, especially when you get used to it, but I do think some are going overreacting when they see it. A nice PM or even a post on here to remind them is fine enough, even for a repeat offender(it really does take some getting used to, especially when posting bios and other evidence). No need to go crazy.

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
I was exagerating to make a point , I'm not the one with the pick so questionable people INSIST to give me a mulligan.

That's because it really is that controversial a selection, and conveys a distinct lack of preparation or research. Maybe matsblue didn't know about the previous ATDs, didn't know that looking back is often a useful guide and doing so would have caused him to say "Oh, yeah, XXXXXX!". No one complained about Pronger, because while he was a reach, he wasn't taken rounds ahead of his usual spot and has built up a resume few defensemen can match.

However, it's all a moot point- he's decided to move on. Can he still win this thing? Sure. But he just put himself at a distinct disadvantage by choosing a second-line forward to be the foreseeable centerpiece of his offense.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario

Personally, I'm here to discuss hockey history and learn about the greats of the game.

The reason we veto trades is to preserve competitive balance. Allowing this pick to be made again does the same thing. I'm not sure I would go so far as to say it would cripple his team, but if he keeps this pick, it's an awfully big hole to climb out of.

Leafs Forever

Jul 14, 2009
Well, I'd be willing to lets matsblue take the mulligan or not, after consideration. From a learning perspective, he's probably learned it now, and would learn more if he took the time to research another pick. On the other hand, well only he can make a new selection for his team, and thus he must want to.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
remember reen we don't want to turn off the novice history buff from participating we want to inspire interest and growth of everyone's hockey knowledge.

Well put.

Everyone remember that the next time I goof up on names. ;)

But hopefully I got it out of my system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad