AT&T Getting out of the Sports Broadcasting Biz

Fordy

May 28, 2008
people seem to be enjoying dancing on the grave of a local sports network... do you guys think what moves in after will be better or something? probably, it will be nothing. this is all bad news. it's nice to have a local station where a guy like caulfield can fill dead air between periods. whatever replaces this is going to be grim

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
people seem to be enjoying dancing on the grave of a local sports network... do you guys think what moves in after will be better or something? probably, it will be nothing. this is all bad news. it's nice to have a local station where a guy like caulfield can fill dead air between periods. whatever replaces this is going to be grim
I understand what you are saying but Jay Caulfield is worse than dead airtime.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
This situation has been pretty quiet. But just saw an article in the Trib about Pittsburgh’s CW channel losing its affiliation with CW this fall (and therefore no longer showing their prime time programming). This part was interesting:

It’s unclear what that will mean for specific programming on WPCW-TV, although it opens up the possibility that it could become a home for Pirates or Penguins games as AT&T SportsNet winds down. WPCW has already picked up Riverhounds games.

I think what's going to happen is the leagues/teams will shoulder the brunt of the production cost as well as a big portion of the revenue, and then they'll partner with a local station like this one that can be received over the air as well as via Comcast, FIOS, Direct TV, etc.

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022
Never ever watch Jay Caufiled babble about the game

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
This situation has been pretty quiet. But just saw an article in the Trib about Pittsburgh’s CW channel losing its affiliation with CW this fall (and therefore no longer showing their prime time programming). This part was interesting:

It’s unclear what that will mean for specific programming on WPCW-TV, although it opens up the possibility that it could become a home for Pirates or Penguins games as AT&T SportsNet winds down. WPCW has already picked up Riverhounds games.

This would be fantastic for those of us who receive our channels via OTA aka antenna.

Reactions: FlightlessBird

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
More teams should do what Vegas is doing. Make games available for free to all cable and cord cutters. Then you can charge a lot more for the ads because you have so many eyeballs on the product.

The current model of cable/dish companies making you pay $60 extra a month to get a package that includes the channel that has local games (and then dropping the channel due to a contract dispute) is part of the reason hockey remains such a niche sport. I’m glad this model is dying.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
Please don't make me subscribe to a garbage product like Fubo to watch the pens. Direct subscription would be amazing.
Assuming it’s still on cable, a direct subscription while in the region as well. I hate having to use knock off streams because im blacked out where I live and don’t have cable.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Be interesting how the regional broadcasts work out. I still am not thrilled that Canada lost NHL Centre Ice. Sportsnet now is crap. Hate how I cant pick my feed.

Off topic, but what do you use to watch soccer @Scandale du Jour ?

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Lol exactly. No one's gonna miss Jay or their terrible camera/production quality..

If we want to know a yinzer's recap we can just call my dad and he'll tell you

Folks might not miss that broadcast - but the cameras and local feel of it will be missed....

Right around the time people realize we get plugs who know nothing about this team - or any prior team - clamoring to Sid stats for 60 minutes a night ...in between stupid gambling advertising that 2% of sports fans will ever give a crap about.

I think people watch national broadcasts and focus their annoyance on the personality versus the network. There's a reason Milburry was so vanilla and annoying...and it's not for a lack of hockey history or insider knowledge. It's these ridiculous canned takes that the money counters put pressure on them to talk about over and over. So instead of Errey bringing up a play from 30 years ago that was similar to a Rust pass....we get to have 500 dollar haircuts and makeup clowns drone on and on and on about Sidney Crosby and Coach Mike Sullivan.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
I would imagine this will be very similar to how NESN is run. They might even share some facilities, equipment or other assets.

The channel will be available via cable networks like Verizon and Xfinity, but also as a standalone streaming service. NESN streams the Red Sox and Bruins and costs $30 a month if you get it as a streaming service.

The channel will not only have game coverage, but ancillary programming about the team similar to AT&T Sports Pittsburgh. I would imagine there will be some syndication content - outdoors, racing, random MMA events, etc. - that NESN already has access to.

And maybe some local colleges. Not anything Division I, but there are a ton of Division II and Division III programs nearby.

Factorial

Oct 7, 2019
Assuming it’s still on cable, a direct subscription while in the region as well. I hate having to use knock off streams because im blacked out where I live and don’t have cable.

Just checked and NESN blacks out bruins/red sox games in their home territory.

• Haha
Reactions: BusinessGoose

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
Folks might not miss that broadcast - but the cameras and local feel of it will be missed....

Right around the time people realize we get plugs who know nothing about this team - or any prior team - clamoring to Sid stats for 60 minutes a night ...in between stupid gambling advertising that 2% of sports fans will ever give a crap about.

I think people watch national broadcasts and focus their annoyance on the personality versus the network. There's a reason Milburry was so vanilla and annoying...and it's not for a lack of hockey history or insider knowledge. It's these ridiculous canned takes that the money counters put pressure on them to talk about over and over. So instead of Errey bringing up a play from 30 years ago that was similar to a Rust pass....we get to have 500 dollar haircuts and makeup clowns drone on and on and on about Sidney Crosby and Coach Mike Sullivan.
At least it's not -ewwww- yinzers.

Don't you want sophistication?

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
I would imagine this will be very similar to how NESN is run. They might even share some facilities, equipment or other assets.

The channel will be available via cable networks like Verizon and Xfinity, but also as a standalone streaming service. NESN streams the Red Sox and Bruins and costs $30 a month if you get it as a streaming service.

The channel will not only have game coverage, but ancillary programming about the team similar to AT&T Sports Pittsburgh. I would imagine there will be some syndication content - outdoors, racing, random MMA events, etc. - that NESN already has access to.

And maybe some local colleges. Not anything Division I, but there are a ton of Division II and Division III programs nearby.
They'll probably incorporate much of the existing infrastructure and lay off the admin staff.

Reactions: Factorial

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I like Fubo, but I would probably switch to a Pens/Pirates-only network if it was $30ish/month.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Friendly reminder that pirated streams are illegal and illegal activity cannot be openly discussed on the forum. Thanks.

I dont make the rules, I just enforce them.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006

I hate the national broadcasts because 90% of the time, the team assigned to the game has a hatred towards our organization or players. It’s nice to have the local games with guys who know about the team and don’t actively detest it.

I legitimately don’t know how it’s legal to black out the area where you fished the tax dollar to build your billion dollar arena from watching what they financed.
The common people vote against their own best interests all the time.

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $5,000.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1