AT&T Getting out of the Sports Broadcasting Biz

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Bye bye Caveman Jay Caulfield.

Hopefully, FSG doesn’t screw up the broadcasting as bad as they’ve screwed up the team.

FlightlessBird

Nov 5, 2005
Pittsburgh
What do you pay for NESN2?

Direct streaming of NESN is $30/month or $330/year.
I honestly have no clue. I’m assuming it’s included in the sports package that we get. I’m hoping it’s not much since it’s only standard def and I don’t actually get any games they show. But yeah, their streaming price is ridiculous. There’s no way I’d pay that to stream the Pens.

Also, NESN2 was just my idea for when ATT goes kaput ;) I don’t believe it’s an actual channel…yet.

Factorial

Oct 7, 2019
I honestly have no clue. I’m assuming it’s included in the sports package that we get. I’m hoping it’s not much since it’s only standard def and I don’t actually get any games they show. But yeah, their streaming price is ridiculous. There’s no way I’d pay that to stream the Pens.

Also, NESN2 was just my idea for when ATT goes kaput ;) I don’t believe it’s an actual channel…yet.

Got it, NESN2 would be pen/bucs.

I'm expecting if you have cable or fubo, etc and get ATT Sports now you would get "NESN2" included in your cable package.

But if you want to stream it you pay out the ass. That makes IPTV more attractive.

Reactions: FlightlessBird

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
$329 yearly or $29 monthly to watch the Penguins. Nope. That will be the end of me consistently watching the team play. As I would go back to illegal streaming for games and if I couldn't find a quality stream I just wouldn't watch the game. I have followed the team for 30 years and that would be the end of me following them consistently as a viewer.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Sports broadcasting and vehicles are changing. ESPN is reportedly with Disney laying off a ton of people. 100 million with cable 10 years ago is now 70 million. I see the sports expected TV revenue changing and not for the better. NFL will continue to kills it but even Fox has to take a look at the generous payouts for the other sports. No one had ATT sports gone in a month 2 years ago. Things are happening fast now.

Snooki Stackhouse

Dec 6, 2007
Pittsburgh
$329 yearly or $29 monthly to watch the Penguins. Nope. That will be the end of me consistently watching the team play. As I would go back to illegal streaming for games and if I couldn't find a quality stream I just wouldn't watch the game. I have followed the team for 30 years and that would be the end of me following them consistently as a viewer.
How are you watching now? 30 Beats 80+/mo for fubo or Comcast or whatever. I don't get to watch pens much anymore since I dropped cable. I refuse to pay 80+/mo for fubo. I tried illegal streams and they're complete low quality shit. I tried a VPN with espn+ and it's just constant buffering bullshit. 30/mo would actually be a good option for people who were paying for fubo.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
Athletes should not be clearing hundreds of millions of dollars.
ADMISSION should not be hundreds of dollars.

I've never agreed with that. I've always gotten into arguments with my ... well... long ago old friends over that.
They'd argue so the league or team or ceo or owner or whoever keeps all the money!?
I'd say NO... it shouldn't ever cost that much to begin with.
AHL'ers make a reasonable income. Pro should be double.... getting to multi-million is ridiculous.
Athletes will still be athletes. Even without millions of dollars.
eh.
That's nice you feel that way, but it's still just your opinion. Athletes make that kind of money because they generate billions of dollars of revenue. That's called the market economy at work. If you want to go watch AHL level talent, you are free to do so.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
"In this case however, Packers fans are not really buying a normal piece of stock, like Apple or Tesla; Packers shares don't increase or decrease in value, are not allowed to be sold, and do not give any voting power either."

Basically, it's a direct donation of funds to upgrade Lambeau Field.

But a number of soccer teams have more traditional stock options https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ig...ow-to-buy-shares-in-football-clubs-191021.amp
The Packers are an anomaly. NFL by-laws do not allow that kind of model to currently exist, but Green Bay is grandfathered as an exception.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
The question I would have if I was still living in PA, So say this channel was purchased locally at $30 a month would you still be blacked out?

Harvey Birdman

Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
How are you watching now? 30 Beats 80+/mo for fubo or Comcast or whatever. I don't get to watch pens much anymore since I dropped cable. I refuse to pay 80+/mo for fubo. I tried illegal streams and they're complete low quality shit. I tried a VPN with espn+ and it's just constant buffering bullshit. 30/mo would actually be a good option for people who were paying for fubo.
I use ESPN+, plus occasionally a VPN, or illegal stream when need be if a game is blacked out on it. I get Disney+/ESPN+/Hulu all in a cheap bundle since I got Disney+ day 1 and I will have it as long as I never let a billing period slip, its like $13 a month or something like that. But even for sake of argument, lets make that same package the 329/29, there is an argument to be made that its worth it because of all the content outside of just watching a single sports team.

329/29 for watching one sports team. I wont be paying that if I am forced to at some point. I have watched maybe 3 Pirates games in the past 5 years. And honestly I put them on because I just wanted something on in the background while I was doing a home improvement projects, I probably will never just sit through watching a baseball game on tv. And I would never watch any of the other content on NESN except for the Penguins if they go on it.

So if the ESPN+ route ever goes away. And I am forced to pay for a NESN subscription at that price. Or some other similarly priced package just to watch Penguins games.

I simply wont be watching the Penguins anymore. Unless I can get a illegal stream of that game I want to watch. I am simply not going to spend that to watch one sports team.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Just pm.

Reactions: Harvey Birdman

Ginormousthumbs

Jul 7, 2013
West Side
Maybe the following examples wouldn’t work for the NHL due to the amount of games that are played, but the work that NBC/Peacock has done for the Premier League and now Apple TV and MLS should be the future in how games are broadcast.

Harvey Birdman

Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Maybe the following examples wouldn’t work for the NHL due to the amount of games that are played, but the work that NBC/Peacock has done for the Premier League and now Apple TV and MLS should be the future in how games are broadcast.
I can only hope that T-Mobile grabs up an NHL thing in the future like they have with MLS, if you have T-Mobile you get the MLS package for free. I dont use it... BUT it is there. :laugh:

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
The funniest thing is that things will switch back to the cable model in due time, perhaps on a different medium but having to sign up for 12 different $15-20/mo streaming services is getting ridiculous. Even if you can afford it it’s impossible to track all of the different subscriptions, logins, etc.

One package with what you want is desirable.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Sports broadcasting and vehicles are changing. ESPN is reportedly with Disney laying off a ton of people. 100 million with cable 10 years ago is now 70 million. I see the sports expected TV revenue changing and not for the better. NFL will continue to kills it but even Fox has to take a look at the generous payouts for the other sports. No one had ATT sports gone in a month 2 years ago. Things are happening fast now.
100 million? Does that include fleecing households that had two or more tv's and each needed their own box? Growing up we had one cable tv and that was it. I'd beg my parents and they'd say, go outside or the classic 'get a job'. How many fights can a family of 4 get into over one tv? haha seems unimaginable today.

Cable always fleeced customers. Pay for no commercials then you got commercials hah... I hope they crash and burn.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
I can only hope that T-Mobile grabs up an NHL thing in the future like they have with MLS, if you have T-Mobile you get the MLS package for free. I dont use it... BUT it is there. :laugh:
As well as MLB.tv, which will be free again this season for T mobile customers. And also a year of Paramount Plus is available, free too. Tremendous for soccer fans. Champions league, Serie A, and Europa.

metalan2

May 30, 2008
I got you covered if that happens my man.

Reactions: Harvey Birdman

FlightlessBird

Nov 5, 2005
Pittsburgh
This situation has been pretty quiet. But just saw an article in the Trib about Pittsburgh’s CW channel losing its affiliation with CW this fall (and therefore no longer showing their prime time programming). This part was interesting:

It’s unclear what that will mean for specific programming on WPCW-TV, although it opens up the possibility that it could become a home for Pirates or Penguins games as AT&T SportsNet winds down. WPCW has already picked up Riverhounds games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad