AT&T Getting out of the Sports Broadcasting Biz

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
I get ESPN+ just so I can watch the Kraken and not getting the Pens last year didn't bother me at all. This year I am a little more interested. Holding out hope on Pens not being blacked out. I believe it was only Directv offering the Pittsburgh RSN locally here which dictated the blackout.

Don’t care at all about the Jackets!! Although I am going to try to go to Columbus and Pittsburgh to see the Kraken live.
Enjoy watching the Pens rip their hearts out. Again. But plug your ears when the Covered Blow Jackets score, the damn cannon is really loud.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
So no streaming service for out of area fans?
I think they had to finalize this agreement to purchase AT&T SportsNet and rebrand it first. From there, they'll assess how quickly they can create a streaming service based on what they currently use for NESN.

It seems FSG doesn't announce things until they're ready. They may not want to promise the streaming service until they know it's ready.

That's why this line is in the release, "Further details, including full broadcast coverage information, will be revealed at a later date."

Reactions: Andy99

KrisLeturnover

Jan 17, 2021
I think they had to finalize this agreement to purchase AT&T SportsNet and rebrand it first. From there, they'll assess how quickly they can create a streaming service based on what they currently use for NESN.

It seems FSG doesn't announce things until they're ready. They may not want to promise the streaming service until they know it's ready.

That's why this line is in the release, "Further details, including full broadcast coverage information, will be revealed at a later date."
Please God heavenly father, allow us to watch in market via a streaming service.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
So what are we Canadian Pens fans supposed to do now then??? :huh:

Would I still be good with Centre Ice like how I always was until I got rid if it a few years back?

Or are we screwed altogether now??

In any case, thank goodness for sailing the high seas. Arrr!!! :)

Last edited:

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
So what do we Canadian Pens fans supposed to do now then??? :huh:

Would I still be good with Centre Ice like how I always was until I got rid if it a few years back?

Or are we screwed altogether now??

In any case, thank goodness for sailing the high seas. Arrr!!! :)
As of now, you'll need Centre Ice or Sportsnet Now.

But I would keep an eye out for future announcements about streaming from FSG.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
As of now, you'll need Centre Ice or Sportsnet Now.

But I would keep an eye out for future announcements about streaming from FSG.

Helpful and straight to the point.

Thank you old chap!! :cheers: :)

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
Please God heavenly father, allow us to watch in market via a streaming service.
• This new network will be able to offer blackout-free streaming ... but only for the games to which it holds the rights. So don't get geeked up about some comprehensive, all-Penguins channel. TNT and ESPN will still get their 15 total Penguins games, and the team doesn't hold streaming rights to games on national networks.

Reactions: KrisLeturnover

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
This streaming service wouldn't affect anything with ESPN+ for out-of-market games, right?

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
Didn't Burkle and Mario look into buying the Pirates like 10 years ago with the intent to create their own network? Too bad it's probably illegal for FSG to buy the Pirates.
Yep. FSG would need to sell the Red Sox to buy the Pirates. And like, why on earth would they do that?

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
I would imagine this will be very similar to how NESN is run. They might even share some facilities, equipment or other assets.

The channel will be available via cable networks like Verizon and Xfinity, but also as a standalone streaming service. NESN streams the Red Sox and Bruins and costs $30 a month if you get it as a streaming service.

The channel will not only have game coverage, but ancillary programming about the team similar to AT&T Sports Pittsburgh. I would imagine there will be some syndication content - outdoors, racing, random MMA events, etc. - that NESN already has access to.

And maybe some local colleges. Not anything Division I, but there are a ton of Division II and Division III programs nearby.
I think it would be cool to get FSG+ which has all of the teams they on in one package. Would it be weird for Red Sox fans to have Pens games? Sure. Would it could be a way to market the Pens to more audiences. The MLB and F1 crowd.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
All I know is I live in NJ so MSG totally f***s me with about a third of the Pens games. Total bullshit.
Damn. That sucks. I'm pissed with the like 10-15 games that are on TNT or NHL Network or whatever else.

Have you looked into a VPN?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad