Prospect Info: At 19th Overall the Sharks Select Josh Norris

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Cue typical reactions. Fact is that this draft leveled out after the top 5 or 6 players so I have no problem with the Sharks taking a fast, high IQ two-way forward. They have, historically, put a lot of stock in the combine testing and this guy was one of the top performers. Good pick by the Sharks.

Patty Ice cooling the panic as always.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
From what I remember the Couture pick also sucked according to GM HF.

It was the trade up more than anything. Always creates a double-blow effect.

For first round picks, I would generally say:

Michalek, Bernier, and Petrecki were uproariously celebrated.
Kaspar, Wishart, and Goldobin were met with general indifference to mild optimism.
Couture and Meier were met with moderate criticisms.
Coyle, Hertl, Mueller, and Setoguchi...it was like the Sharks had been relocated.

The Setoguchi one stings the most. The distaste that guys like Hertl and on faced can largely be chalked up to different social trends, where hyperbole rules the day, intransigence is celebrated, and Dunning-Kruger is in full effect. But this board in 2005 was much less reactionary and balked strongly when the Sharks passed over Kopitar.

In a weak year. He was highest ranked at 26 and lowest at 70 something. Let's be real, it was a reach. They easily could've traded down and still got him

There hasn't been too much movement, no? Dallas gave up a 70th to move up a few spots; don't think the Sharks would have gotten much.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
Logan Couture scored 78 points in 54 games in the CHL. I wasn't on HF at the time but I feel confident I would have been okay with it.

There's ALWAYS someone better that we should've picked instead, it's been an annual tradition on this board for as long as I can remember.

Much appreciated Jux! This may very well be a bad pick, my point was that I have no clue how to assess it because I'm not that knowledgeable about prospects and this board gets upset about literally every first round pick we make.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
There's ALWAYS someone better that we should've picked instead, it's been an annual tradition on this board for as long as I can remember.

Much appreciated Jux! This may very well be a bad pick, my point was that I have no clue how to assess it because I'm not that knowledgeable about prospects and this board gets upset about literally every first round pick we make.

Yeah, looking at the stats, I've backed off the ledge somewhat. Perhaps I was too dependent on the eye test.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Aaaand the terrible drafting continues. Taking a late 2nd/early 3rd round guy at 19. Great work, fellas!

Been saying it forever - fire Burke.

There were several scouting services/rankings that had him as a mid-20s to early 2nd rounder.

But don't let that get in the way of a good rant, I guess.

EDIT:
CSB: 34th
ISS: 26th
Future Considerations: 66th
Bob McKenzie: 23rd
McKeen's 28th
Cory Pronman/ESPN: 40th
Craig Button/TSN: N/R, but Button only does a top 30
HockeyProspect: 45th (in final black book)

That's 1 3rd round ranking, 3 1st round rankings, 2 high 2nd rankings, and 1 mid 2nd ranking.

Yep. Totally a "late 2nd/early 3rd" ranked player.

Last edited:

T0uGh C0oki3

Goodbye Jumbo Joe
Dec 19, 2014
In a weak year. He was highest ranked at 26 and lowest at 70 something. Let's be real, it was a reach. They easily could've traded down and still got him
Obviously, if I am DW at that position I would have picked a different player.

However, I think he is still worth a 1st round pick. I saw him play before, he is nothing flashy but his skillset is 1st round worthy.

Jul 10, 2010
With the way this board kills every first round draft pick we make, I don't know what to think.

Well i mean, they killed the Couture, Hertl and Coyle picks at the time.

The only 2 times i can remember this board being happy is Goldobin and Nick Petrecki

So since the board likes the pick, theres a chance he'll be good.

If you get a 2C at 19 in a weak draft, id call that a win

EDIT: Nems post indicates that McKenzies rankings (based on NHL scouts) had him at 23... meaning that most NHL scouts had him higher than the "rankings list"

Cliffs: Its not a bad pick

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad