Prospect Info: At 19th Overall the Sharks Select Josh Norris

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
That is exactly where I had him. He was definitely a reach where we drafted him though. Hard to argue that.

less of a reach than it seems like though given how hard this draft flattened out after the first wave of name prospects. I saw lots of talk that once you got to the teens, the players picked could be ranked anywhere from equivalent to their pick all the way into the later 2nd round.

That doesn't make this not be a reach at all, but it's not like they waltzed up there and took a guy rated 60th when they had the 5th pick or something.

Patty Ice

Mighty Luca
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
In a weak year. He was highest ranked at 26 and lowest at 70 something. Let's be real, it was a reach. They easily could've traded down and still got him

Easily? You said yourself it is a weak year. I don't necessarily agree but the talent pool does stagnate from mid first round to late second round IMO. So what incentive do teams have to trade up? There was no can't miss prospect available at 19. And who said Wilson did not try to trade down? Perhaps he had offers that weren't good value and, as his MO, had no problem identifying the player he wanted and grabbed him.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
Can the sharks just ask him to concentrate on scoring and hope for the best...lol. His other attributes seem fine, it appears the lack of scoring touch is what holds him back.

T0uGh C0oki3

Goodbye Jumbo Joe
Dec 19, 2014
Can the sharks just ask him to concentrate on scoring and hope for the best...lol. His other attributes seem fine, it appears the lack of scoring touch is what holds him back.
He is sort of like Colin White. Don't worry, the scoring will come later.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
If the Sharks Scouting staff ran an NFL team they would be Al Davis.

"He doesn't really know how to play football but he can throw the ball from his knees to the 50 yard line"

"Holy **** draft that man right now"

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
Low risk pick. Not terrible but not exciting. If we traded Coyle i bet Norris could potentially end up becoming trade bait in a similar fashion.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
So Hertl has his minions and Norris has trolls. What other manufactured mascots are there for us to collect?

I don't really hate the pick but I don't really have strong opinions on prospects.

AaronDellForPrez

RF Modulator
Dec 29, 2009
New Zealand, South Island
Cool. Another safe pick high floor low ceiling guy.

"Norris (6-foot, 188 pounds), who will attend the University of Michigan next season, was among the most impressive performers in the fitness testing at the NHL Scouting Combine, finishing first in five tests, including peak power output on the Wingate bike test. A two-way forward with a left-handed shot, Norris likes to take the puck to the net and has a good compete level."

So, he's got the strongest legs in the draft.

And he's American, so, Trumplestiltzken wont deport him.

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
If the Sharks Scouting staff ran an NFL team they would be Al Davis.

"He doesn't really know how to play football but he can throw the ball from his knees to the 50 yard line"

"Holy **** draft that man right now"

I know you're probably half kidding but it's true. They really do put a lot of stock in those combine tests. They're freaking teenagers. Just take the guy with the most skill and talent ffs.

DrFeelgood

Chairman Meow
May 8, 2006
San Jose, CA
AcYjmfe.jpg

Nighthock

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jul 25, 2007
Nevada
Norris >> Mittelstadt then apparently.

Don't get me wrong, I hope Norris turns into something, but I don't expect it. We have enough 2-way forwards.

I'm not negative by nature, just realistic. I don't own a pair of teal colored glass... sorry (not really).

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
Let's hope that troll doll won't be the most memorable thing he's got going for him in the NHL.

Guaranteed 4 years from now when the Sharks are a gutter team our GDTs are going to be full of meme's with that image.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
I'm indifferent but will be cautiously optimistic about the pick. Maybe he can somehow end up as great as another USHL and Michigan alum, Max Pacioretty, their numbers in the USHL are comparable. At Michigan Pacioretty scored 36gp 15g 23a 38pts. Lets see if Norris can come close to that, doubtful but you never know. Patches was picked 22nd overall.

Last edited:

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
Drafting a guy because he had good results at the ****ing combine is hilariously dumb and so typical of Wilson/Burke. Brutal pick but I expected as much. At least we didn't pass on an obvious star like Barzal or Mantha this time.

Kensington

Jun 23, 2017
Seems like he has 2C upside. If he turns into a Couture type player that's a good pick at 19. Other article posted said he compared to Umberger and Okposo which wouldn't be bad either. I'm always in favor of drafting skill and talent over a complete game, but I don't get my hopes up anymore since I know DW's scouting staff values those things the opposite.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad