Value of: Askarov

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Maybe Vilardi or Kupari? Cal Petersen could potentially be available too, if it's more of a win-now thing.
It's not a win-now thing today... it could be in a year or two if the team continues to climb into contention. But either way, Petersen isn't likely going to be of interest since we already have goalies lined up. It could be to address a major injury situation, though, so who knows at that time. Or if it is to address any evolving roster deficiency, similarly who knows what the biggest need would be at that time in a year or two. Could be anything. Impossible to say from here. :dunno:

Reactions: Armourboy

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I wouldn't stress about him month to month, or even over the next couple of seasons. Goalies take a while...

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
I didn't say he's not going to be NHL ready by then, but he's a few years away from making his NHL debut and even longer away from being in his prime. By the time he's in his prime Saros will be in his mid 30's.

Anyway, the price would be an elite prospect, not just a team's best prospect.

Nick Robertson or Amirov

The exact situation I had in mind when I thought of when I made that post, I knew a Leafs fan would offer Robertson or Amirov. Pass.

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Askarov is pretty much unavailable for anything someone would be willing to part with at this point. Hes the goalie of the future in Nashville but has a long timeline to get there. Poile wouldnt panic and dump him now.

Reactions: Armourboy

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Askarov is exactly the type of goalie that Ian Clarke would make a superstar. All the ability in the world but very little structure

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Looked lost in his net and poor at tracking the puck for 2 consecutive WJC. Technically he has a long way.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
What is the value of Yaroslav Askarov?

After having a fantastic D+1 season his D+2 season this year seems quite disappointing as he has regressed back to numbers worse than when he was drafted. Yet he surely still carries large value due to his record the past 2 years.

Normally a prize prospect wouldn’t be available but Saros is not only looking like the goalie of the future for Nashville, he looks like one of the best goalies in the foreseeable future for the entire NHL. Only 26 years old and a career .922 save percentage over almost 200 games. A .928 save% this year, he has been the backbone for the Predators who currently sit on top of the central.

So what kind of return could Askarov fetch? Maybe a similar caliber young forward which would better align with Nashville’s needs?

yet another …really high prospect that maybe we can get fir a low ball offer just because he’s doing poorly now without factoring the level of where he’s playing.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I don't think Nashville is going to just give him away. I can see him getting traded like a Varlamov for a first round pick when he is playing in the NHL as a good backup.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
The price for Askarov is still very high, we didn't draft him to take over Saros' spot this year or next, we drafted him so he can take his time, he might make his NHL debut in another 2-3 years. By the time he should be in his prime like Saros, Saros will be 34-35.

Askarov fits perfectly in with our next generation of prospects and we like to build from the net out. It'd take an elite prospect to get us to trade him imo, someone like Lundell.

Askarov was never worth an elite prospect or else he would have been drafted higher.

That said, if he makes it to the NHL and plays very well as a backup; I can see a team making a big time trade for him.

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
He's in the right organization to develop him. The Preds would be crazy to move him, barring an insane overpay.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
? Uh, Askarov is the highest drafted goalie in over a decade. He was drafted 11th, higher than Knight, Wallstadt, Vasilevsky, etc. He is most definitely worth an elite prospect, even with two bad WJC.

I don't consider any prospect drafted out of the top 10 elite unless they obviously exceeded expectations after the draft, which he hasn't yet.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I don't consider any prospect drafted out of the top 10 elite unless they obviously exceeded expectations after the draft, which he hasn't yet.
Considering how rarely goalies are ever drafted that high you are never going to see an elite goalie prospect then. As Soundgarden pointed out he is the highest drafted in over 10+ years, which tells you that goalies can not be viewed in the same light as a forward or Dman taken in the top 10.

Reactions: OKR

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Considering how rarely goalies are ever drafted that high you are never going to see an elite goalie prospect then. As Soundgarden pointed out he is the highest drafted in over 10+ years, which tells you that goalies can not be viewed in the same light as a forward or Dman taken in the top 10.
Just because they’re not taken highly often doesn’t mean their worth more than a top 10 pick that’s a forward or dman

That’s pretty backwards logic

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad