Value of: Askarov

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
What is the value of Yaroslav Askarov?

After having a fantastic D+1 season his D+2 season this year seems quite disappointing as he has regressed back to numbers worse than when he was drafted. Yet he surely still carries large value due to his record the past 2 years.

Normally a prize prospect wouldn’t be available but Saros is not only looking like the goalie of the future for Nashville, he looks like one of the best goalies in the foreseeable future for the entire NHL. Only 26 years old and a career .922 save percentage over almost 200 games. A .928 save% this year, he has been the backbone for the Predators who currently sit on top of the central.

So what kind of return could Askarov fetch? Maybe a similar caliber young forward which would better align with Nashville’s needs?

Reactions: Szechwan

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Despite the recent struggles I still really like Askarov and would love to add him to the Canes' goalie pipeline along with Kochetkov.

Would Makiniemi (could be a good fit behind Saros going forward) and a forward prospect like Suzuki or Bokk move the needle at all? My guess is that's not enough and I don't see the Canes having any serious interest but I personally would do that.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Prospects simply don't get targeted. The team that drafted them will always value them more than other teams. Prospects either get moved as a package, or they stay with the team to develop or later move for a change of scenery after a handful of years. Askarov is too young still

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Despite the recent struggles I still really like Askarov and would love to add him to the Canes' goalie pipeline along with Kochetkov.

Would Makiniemi (could be a good fit behind Saros going forward) and a forward prospect like Suzuki or Bokk move the needle at all? My guess is that's not enough and I don't see the Canes having any serious interest but I personally would do that.

Not that we're interested in trading Askarov rn but it would probably start at whoever your best forward prospect is.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
I suspect they'll let him simmer and bring him over to backup in the next couple years before evaluating what they have.

Saros has 3 more years after this one at 5m, he'll be due for a substantial raise if this play keeps up.

Reactions: ManofSteel55

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
The price for Askarov is still very high, we didn't draft him to take over Saros' spot this year or next, we drafted him so he can take his time, he might make his NHL debut in another 2-3 years. By the time he should be in his prime like Saros, Saros will be 34-35.

Askarov fits perfectly in with our next generation of prospects and we like to build from the net out. It'd take an elite prospect to get us to trade him imo, someone like Lundell.

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
What is the value of Yaroslav Askarov?

After having a fantastic D+1 season his D+2 season this year seems quite disappointing as he has regressed back to numbers worse than when he was drafted. Yet he surely still carries large value due to his record the past 2 years.

Normally a prize prospect wouldn’t be available but Saros is not only looking like the goalie of the future for Nashville, he looks like one of the best goalies in the foreseeable future for the entire NHL. Only 26 years old and a career .922 save percentage over almost 200 games. A .928 save% this year, he has been the backbone for the Predators who currently sit on top of the central.

So what kind of return could Askarov fetch? Maybe a similar caliber young forward which would better align with Nashville’s needs?

I believe Kings will be very interested if Askarov is available.
They sure have assets for him.

Last edited:
Reactions: YP44

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
The price for Askarov is still very high, we didn't draft him to take over Saros' spot this year or next, we drafted him so he can take his time, he might make his NHL debut in another 2-3 years. By the time he should be in his prime like Saros, Saros will be 34-35.

Askarov fits perfectly in with our next generation of prospects and we like to build from the net out. It'd take an elite prospect to get us to trade him imo, someone like Lundell.
You don’t think Askarov will be NHL starter ready before he’s 28?

Saros is a year younger than Vasilevsky, he’s not going anywhere anytime soon imo.

I don’t think Nashville’s scenario is like Florida’s where Bob’s clear successor in a couple years is Knight when Bob really starts declining due to age. Saros is only 6 years older, him and Askarov will definitely have a significant overlap period.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
You don’t think Askarov will be NHL ready before he’s 28?

Saros is a year younger than Vasilevsky, he’s not going anywhere anytime soon imo.

I don’t think Nashville’s scenario is like Florida’s where Bob’s clear successor in a couple years is Knight when Bob really starts declining due to age. Saros is only 6 years older, him and Askarov will definitely have a significant overlap period.

I didn't say he's not going to be NHL ready by then, but he's a few years away from making his NHL debut and even longer away from being in his prime. By the time he's in his prime Saros will be in his mid 30's.

Anyway, the price would be an elite prospect, not just a team's best prospect.

Reactions: Armourboy

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
We weren't planning on him being here for 3-4 years anyways at which point he would be in a back up role behind Saros.

He's the next guy when it's time to move on from Saros so for the moment it's gonna probably take an overpayment to get him and almost no one is going to want to do that.
Yeah, I think it's just too far off for the Preds to make any kind of actual "plan" around it. Could be 3-4 years before Askarov is even ready to come over, maybe he'll never even be ready. Maybe Ingram will take that spot away from him even if he is ready. Maybe some other guy we draft or sign will.

In the meantime, I don't know who really seeks out Askarov in a trade for another prospect. The scenario where he might more plausibly be traded is if the Preds decide they are "going for it" some year, and the bitter pill they have to swallow is trading Askarov to pick up some significant player to boost their playoff roster. Like, say next season if the Preds can take another step towards contention, and Ingram is doing very well as the backup, and we're looking to add a big gun for a playoff run... well, maybe in such a scenario trading Askarov could be a consideration? But that's a fairly far off hypothetical scenario too.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Yeah, I think it's just too far off for the Preds to make any kind of actual "plan" around it. Could be 3-4 years before Askarov is even ready to come over, maybe he'll never even be ready. Maybe Ingram will take that spot away from him even if he is ready. Maybe some other guy we draft or sign will.

In the meantime, I don't know who really seeks out Askarov in a trade for another prospect. The scenario where he might more plausibly be traded is if the Preds decide they are "going for it" some year, and the bitter pill they have to swallow is trading Askarov to pick up some significant player to boost their playoff roster. Like, say next season if the Preds can take another step towards contention, and Ingram is doing very well as the backup, and we're looking to add a big gun for a playoff run... well, maybe in such a scenario trading Askarov could be a consideration? But that's a fairly far off hypothetical scenario too.

Yeah, anybody trading for Askarov right now will still be waiting a few seasons before he comes over anyway and Nashville isn't going to be interested in dealing him for just anybody. (Jarvis over Drury for example)

DRW895

Dec 29, 2021
Askarov was too much trashed for WJC failsure. Best wishes to this guy. He is just bigger than Saros. In modern era big goalies generally prevails

ConnorMcBackcheck

Dec 31, 2021
USA
Askarov, Cossa, and Wellstedt are the kind of guys that they should have been drafting all along. Goalies of course take time to develop and the McDavid window is important to consider but not having any blue chip goalies in the pipeline lead to guys like Koskinen and Smith being your starters.

Skinner has posted some decent stats in Bakersfield and for a short time in Edmonton but if the Oiler's goaltending woes are so serious, wouldn't he be playing more? I guess they could be shielding the kid from getting his confidence broken.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Goalie prospects aren't valued that highly in the first place.

World Junior struggles might affect his value, but likely not. Just cause you're good, or bad is the Workd juniors doesn't mean that's how your pro career will go.

Right handed catching Goalies don't really progress well into the NHL, so if I were a GM I'd stay away from him.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Absolutely no reason to move him unless Nashville think they made a mistake and want to dump him while he's high.

Theres a slight chance someone desperate for a young goalie might go for it for a late 1st. More realistically he would be involved in a possible upgrade but something tells me Nashville is going to just keep their young players due to the position they're in.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Maybe Vilardi or Kupari? Cal Petersen could potentially be available too, if it's more of a win-now thing.

Reactions: kinghock

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad