Proposal: Askarov To Montreal For Owen Beck and MTL 2025 1st round pick.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
QC
So what do you think is this a doable trade for both teams?
I'd do it if it was Askarvo for Anderson + Primeau

Preds aren't getting a first from us, especially when we have a serviceable goalie currently, and a top Goalie prospect in the org.

• Haha
Reactions: junyab

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Cory Schneider was in his prime, and had proven himself over more NHL games than Askarov has played minutes in the NHL, and fetched a 9th overall pick, which is a likely outcome for a Habs first right now.

So adding Beck, and taking into account Askarov is soon going to be a stranded asset and Nashville end up under pressure to move him, really makes this proposal a reverse Slafy.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
There is no certainty Askarov pans out either. I'd welcome him, but I wouldn't pay prime assets for him.

Beck is not currently a luxury. We have no long term 3C and he is the front runner for that spot.
We have 3c candidates in Kapanen and Hage.

Plus, 3c's aren't difficult to get in a trade or free agency. Harder to get a #1 goalie, so I would like some good darts.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Bold part is key. Most see Askarov's potential but most also understand that that is based on potential/hype. I see a trend of fans asking for too much with Askarov. Habs are interested but not desperate.

92 AHL games and 3 NHL games is just not enough to get a proper evaluation on Askarov's potential. I'm surprised he didn't get more NHL games last year. If I was him, I'd be annoyed as well. If Nashville wants the best trade value return, they should have played him in more NHL games.

If trade talks get serious, Habs would have to sort out what we are doing with one of Monty or Primeau. Either Primeau is included in the Askarov package or we flip Primeau in another trade. Why would we do this? Primeau showed a lot of potential last season.

I prefer to keep all 3.

If you trade for Askarov with with the Flames/Panthers 1st and Beck, what is your plan with Primeau? Just put him on waivers? Trade him for whatever we can get?

What happens if Primeau is just as good as Askarov or both goalies end up being fringe starters? Most will laugh and say Askarov is way better but nobody knows this. Primeau had a great season last year IMO. That deserves a bit more respect
Yes, I would trade Primeau. Sacrifices have to be made.

But, no I don't know enough to know how much more potential and chance of reaching his potential Askarov has than Primeau. Again I say I have interest in Askarov, but I defer to the experts.

I just think it would be sweat to have another great goalie in the Plante - Vezina - Dryden - Roy-Price line. So better chance of getting with Fowler and Askarov than just Fowler. Again, this is all contigent on our scouts really believing in Askarov. If they don't, forget it. And the Blackhawks had young Belfour and Hasek in the system at the same time. Things will be fine if they both pan out.

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
Yes, I would trade Primeau. Sacrifices have to be made.

But, no I don't know enough to know how much more potential and chance of reaching his potential Askarov has than Primeau. Again I say I have interest in Askarov, but I defer to the experts.

I just think it would be sweat to have another great goalie in the Plante - Vezina - Dryden - Roy-Price line. So better chance of getting with Fowler and Askarov than just Fowler. Again, this is all contigent on our scouts really believing in Askarov. If they don't, forget it. And the Blackhawks had young Belfour and Hasek in the system at the same time. Things will be fine if they both pan out.
The Canadiens have more than just Fowler in the system. They drafted two other goaltenders besides Fowler in 2023, drafted another in 2024, and have Dobes. I'm not really interested in giving up much for Askarov.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
We have 3c candidates in Kapanen and Hage.

Plus, 3c's aren't difficult to get in a trade or free agency. Harder to get a #1 goalie, so I would like some good darts.

Hage was not drafted to be 3C. Kapanen is a lesser player than Beck.

We already have good darts.

Reactions: Habano

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Hage was not drafted to be 3C. Kapanen is a lesser player than Beck.

We already have good darts.
Where was Hage drafted to play? What about Newhook?

Note we already have Caufield, Suzuki, Slaf, Demidov, and Dach in the top 6. That leaves one more top six spot, and Laine as another dart to take it. That leaves one of Hage and Newhook as potential 3c's, or both if Laine pans out.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Where was Hage drafted to play? What about Newhook?

Note we already have Caufield, Suzuki, Slaf, Demidov, and Dach in the top 6. That leaves one more top six spot, and Laine as another dart to take it. That leaves one of Hage and Newhook as potential 3c's, or both if Laine pans out.

Not everyone will be a Habs lifer. People leave, people get traded away.

There's a reason why do fantasy lineups 2-3 years away never end up happening.

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
habs dont need a goalie but habs would trade anderson for preds 1st for 2025 and preds 2nd in 2025

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I trust Hughes enough that he wont give up more then a draft choice and seconds. Askarov is NOT a need, he's a want. And that means at a price.

What i love is how all these HF experts trade our most offensive minded defenseman as if it's NHL2000. Mailioux has as good an offensive game as Hutson AND he's a real tough defenseman. No one else in our system has that all around game.

Reactions: Whalers Fan

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Not everyone will be a Habs lifer. People leave, people get traded away.

There's a reason why do fantasy lineups 2-3 years away never end up happening.
Yes, I was just pointing out that we have long term 3c candidates - and it's not as difficult a position to full as #1 goalie. I'd rather secure the #1 goalie position and then worry about 3c, than vice versa.

frederixx

Dec 5, 2005
I don't see a single GM in the entire league trading a probable lottery pick for an unproven goalie. And adding a quality prospect on top? Just not happening. You wouldn't want be the GM that traded a top 3 pick for a goalie that haven't played more than 3 games in the NHL.

And i'm sure Askarov will be really good...

Last edited:

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Hughes carried 3 goalers all season last year and traded Jake Allen at the TDL. I doubt he just loses Primeau for nothing. I don't think the habs are the best trading partner unless we're talking a 3 teams trade.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Yes, I was just pointing out that we have long term 3c candidates - and it's not as difficult a position to full as #1 goalie. I'd rather secure the #1 goalie position and then worry about 3c, than vice versa.

But trading for Askarov is not securing the #1 goalie position, it's just throwing another dart at the board. If we had a poor goalie prospect pool, it could be different, but we have one of the best goalie pool in the NHL.

And that dart cost you a good C prospect (in which we are shallower than goalies) and a first round pick. It also forces a move as we would have 3 goalies in the NHL.

Habs are better off with Beck+1st than with Askarov. We're already heading into a goalie logjam, maybe as early as next year.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
No thanks.massive overpay. Rather keep the assets and see how Primeau and Fowler pan out

Primeau is arguably not even in the top3 of our young goalies.

I'd definitely take Fowler, Volokhin and Dobes before him.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Lol, no way

1- Since we're going to suck again this year, the 2025 1st is off the table

2- We already have Fowler coming Up

3- We don't know yet what we have with Beck, and I don't think the Habs should trade him

Last edited:

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
Hughes won't trade a 1st until its a guarantee that we're contending. That is not today. That is not next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad