Proposal: Askarov To Montreal For Owen Beck and MTL 2025 1st round pick.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
I seriously doubt Askarov returns a 1st, unless it's a late 1st and It looks like Habs will have 2 pics in the 10 to 15 range.

Goalies rarely get much in trade value anyways.

Also Askarov hasn't shown much at the NHL level yet, so he is a gamble.

I'd do Primeau + a 2nd rounder or Primeau + Heineman not much more than that.

If Nashville fans don't like it then you can get disappointed elsewhere.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Now that Harris is gone, we don’t have a vanilla dime a dozen dman to swap for Askarov. ;)

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
Not for that offer.

Habs aren’t giving up their first round pick AND one of their top prospects for a goaltender.

Hughes doesn’t overpay in trades. You’ll have to lower your ask significantly.
Hughes doesn’t overpay so far, he’s been very vocal that he Wil when the teams ready to compete

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Not for that offer.

Habs aren’t giving up their first round pick AND one of their top prospects for a goaltender.

Hughes doesn’t overpay in trades. You’ll have to lower your ask significantly.
I love how you say for a goalie like they are irrelevant when in fact they might be the single most important piece.

I have no horse in this but as a fan of team with who places a high priority on goaltending, I find it so strange that a fan who literally is in the same division as 4 teams who have been burned numerous times because of goaltending.

Nevermind the fact you cheer for a team that in 2020 of r whatever it was sucked and I mean sucked but thanks to Price made it all the way to the finals.

A lot of hab fans seem to think the team is close to competing, with what you guys have on the big club your not close and goalie prospects take 5+ years. A first top 10 protected and Beck is not an overpayment for a goalie nearly ready with such a high ceiling.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
I wouldn’t want to do Beck for Askarov alone so that means it’s probably a fair trade. Zero chance we add a first especially ours.

I would do the lesser of our 2025 1sts and a conditional 2026 2nd, if the 2025 first ends up Top 16 then the 2nd becomes a 2025 3rd.

Rob Sense

Apr 26, 2015
We have goalies in the pipeline that have shown promise. What has Askarov demonstrated more than Fowler or Dobes? I don't like trading a prospect like Beck before giving him a shot on the big team. We are still rebuilding and have accumulated a number of assets so we need to evaluate and keep the best. It would be silly to get rid of a future 2 way center cornerstone for a hyped yet unproven goalie. We just did the evaluation bit on defence and decided to let go Harris for value. We would have got nothing for Harris if we had traded him 2 years ago. Remember that we are still in the middle of a rebuild.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Best Habs would do would be their 2025 2nd rder and a lesser prospect like Farrell.

Askarov isn't worth a top 10 pick + a prospect worth a late 1st rder

Reactions: viceroy

Beendair Donedat

Juice Arse 2.0
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
I love how you say for a goalie like they are irrelevant when in fact they might be the single most important piece.

I have no horse in this but as a fan of team with who places a high priority on goaltending, I find it so strange that a fan who literally is in the same division as 4 teams who have been burned numerous times because of goaltending.

Nevermind the fact you cheer for a team that in 2020 of r whatever it was sucked and I mean sucked but thanks to Price made it all the way to the finals.

A lot of hab fans seem to think the team is close to competing, with what you guys have on the big club your not close and goalie prospects take 5+ years. A first top 10 protected and Beck is not an overpayment for a goalie nearly ready with such a high ceiling.
Wonderful rant. Glad you got it off your chest. I hope you feel better getting some of the poison out, but it means absolutely zero towards the point I was making. You took what I wrote completely out of context and decided to run with it…

I don’t go off on Canucks fans who don’t like another’s proposals for their assets because I don’t follow the Canucks or know their team needs. Basically if I don’t know what I’m talking about, I don’t comment. Obviously you don’t have that issue.

IF you followed the Habs, and knew what they’ve got in their system, (which I can assure you that I do) you’d know that they currently have both Jakub Dobes and Jacob Fowler in the pipeline. Both are extremely talented young goaltenders who have been dominant throughout their respective careers.

Dobes’ rookie AHL numbers are identical to the ones Askarov put up in the AHL as a rookie, and on a significantly worse team.

Askarov’s team went - 41-24-5
Dobes’ team went - 33-31-6

Askarov’s record was - 26-16-5 .911 sp
Dobes’ record was - 24-18-6 .906 sp

Tell me, which one do you find more impressive? I kind of think the rookie who won the majority of the wins for a team barely above the .500 mark myself, but I’m sure you’ll disagree.

Fowler is a young stud goalie, backed team USA to a gold medal at the WJHC, and simply dominated the NCAA as a rookie. He broke the rookie wins record going 32-6-1, was first in the NCAA in winning percentage (.855), fourth in save percentage (.926) and eighth in GAA (2.14).

But you’re right, maybe you should tell me some more about how the Habs need to give up their first rounder (in a rebuild!!) and a top prospect for a goalie.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Wonderful rant. Glad you got it off your chest. I hope you feel better getting some of the poison out, but it means absolutely zero towards the point I was making. You took what I wrote completely out of context and decided to run with it…

I don’t go off on Canucks fans who don’t like another’s proposals for their assets because I don’t follow the Canucks or know their team needs. Basically if I don’t know what I’m talking about, I don’t comment. Obviously you don’t have that issue.

IF you followed the Habs, and knew what they’ve got in their system, (which I can assure you that I do) you’d know that they currently have both Jakub Dobes and Jacob Fowler in the pipeline. Both are extremely talented young goaltenders who have been dominant throughout their respective careers.

Dobes’ rookie AHL numbers are identical to the ones Askarov put up in the AHL as a rookie, and on a significantly worse team.

Askarov’s team went - 41-24-5
Dobes’ team went - 33-31-6

Askarov’s record was - 26-16-5 .911 sp
Dobes’ record was - 24-18-6 .906 sp

Tell me, which one do you find more impressive? I kind of think the rookie who won the majority of the wins for a team barely above the .500 mark myself, but I’m sure you’ll disagree.

Fowler is a young stud goalie, backed team USA to a gold medal at the WJHC, and simply dominated the NCAA as a rookie. He broke the rookie wins record going 32-6-1, was first in the NCAA in winning percentage (.855), fourth in save percentage (.926) and eighth in GAA (2.14).

But you’re right, maybe you should tell me some more about how the Habs need to give up their first rounder (in a rebuild!!) and a top prospect for a goalie.
Wonderful rant. Glad you got that off your chest. Anyway habs say no.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
So what do you think is this a doable trade for both teams?
No, because you have to expect it's a really high 1st round pick you're talking about here. Likely top-10. Possibly even a chance at a coveted top-5 pick. And there's no way that's the asking price for Askarov. Back when the Preds were looking to trade into the top-5 of the 2023 draft, it was Askarov + #15 for a pick like that, Askarov's value was only in a TRADE UP addition, not for the pick outright.

Now, with Askarov pulling this stunt, his value will be much lower. A prospect like Beck alone would be about the best the Preds could hope for. Although personally I like some of the suggested names from San Jose better, and I think San Jose should have greater interest in Askarov than Montreal, since the Habs already have good goalies coming along in their system and don't really need to add another goalie prospect at all.

Reactions: CTHabsfan

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

Have you looked at our goalie pipeline?

Askarov would be a luxury. We are not to the point of paying significant assets for luxuries.

Reactions: Habano and viceroy

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
If I was habs GM the highest I’d offer is Primeau plus the higher of the Habs 2nd rounders (there own or Columbus’). Maybe even go as high as the Fla 1st they will probably get, provided it’s not in the top 20.

I know we have Fowler, but no harm in strengthening your odds of having a franchise type goalie. I think the Preds would aim higher though, but they won’t get anything close to the OP IMO. Goalies are Voodoo.

Last edited:
Reactions: CTHabsfan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad