Weekes: Askarov has informed the Predators he will not report to AHL team, asks for trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
I don't think Hoglander would be the "ideal" return. As mentioned above, a C or RD would be organizational preferences. The Preds don't have the depth to move Fabbro out of an RD spot right now, so he can't go out without a replacement coming back.

It's ok value-wise, but I think the Preds would take a bigger C prospect such as has been mentioned elsewhere in this thread (e.g. Bystedt) before a smaller winger.
:dunno:

I just feel like you're not sufficiently aware of how many flaws there are in Askarov's game. He needs the work in the AHL. Barry Trotz and I agree on that. You and Askarov don't. I guess there is no overcoming that. Therefore, Barry and I would be happy to oblige your belief and trade Askarov... if we can get the right return. If we can't, you guys are just going to have to sit and wait until we can. :sarcasm:

That also can be said for a large portion of the current NHL starters and backups

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Saros played multiple years in the AHL and was even sent back down after starting a season in the NHL where he was expected to start as a backup. He then started to backup Rinne and eventually started taking more starts even though Rinne was signed to a huge deal. Why can't Askarov prove himself in the AHL (he hasn't done that yet) and take a similar path where he's eventually taking starts when he is ready? It's absolutely comparable.

You really, really don’t get it

Gonna be hard for Trotz to get good value for him, given that goalies usually get traded for less, and the narrowed timeline until the season starts..

Gotta feel like the Leafs, Hurricanes, Avs should be in on this..

Feel like Colorado has burnt their assets

Columbus should be all in on Askarov.
Would fit their time line perfectly and core with C Fantilli, C Lindstrom, LD Werenski, RD Jiricek. Goalie of the future is the big asset they are missing

Reactions: viper0220

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Vancouver has Demko and Silvos who flashed potential.

Why are they acquiring an unproven goalie and giving up valuable assets
With reports that Demko still isn't healthy along with his extensive injury history it's not out of the question to wonder if his career is nearing it's end

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Askarov to CHI for Nazar or Moore

Hawks aren't a fit

Hawks just extended Mrazek in Jan 2 years and signed Brossoit to a 2 yr deal this summer so there is no spot for Askarov on NHL roster or room for him to compete

In AHL we have our 2020 goalie prospect Commesso (2nd round pick in 2020) and further in system Hawks have Gajan (2nd round pick in 2023)

So, there is no scenario in which trading one of our top prospects upfront for a goalie prospect makes sense

Askarov would make sense to a team like Flyers

Reactions: Crow

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
You really, really don’t get it

Feel like Colorado has burnt their assets

Columbus should be all in on Askarov.
Would fit their time line perfectly and core with C Fantilli, C Lindstrom, LD Werenski, RD Jiricek. Goalie of the future is the big asset they are missing

I was thinking Columbus as well, it would make sense and it would give Askarov the opportunity to show that he is the man.

Reactions: BB88

Mayday1980

Mar 28, 2021
Anaheim should be all over this as IMO Askarov is an upgrade on Dostal.

Send Noah Warren and a 2nd or 3rd rounder for Askarov.

Then eat 25% of Gibson's salary to whoever wants him and get a pick and a decent RHD prospect back.

And just be done with it lol. It'll be the NHL equivalent of goalie "Thunderdome" Two goalies enter, one goalie wins the starting job! (and the subsequent contract extension)

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois

Then eat 25% of Gibson's salary to whoever wants him and get a pick and a decent RHD prospect back.

And just be done with it lol. It'll be the NHL equivalent of goalie "Thunderdome" Two goalies enter, one goalie wins the starting job! (and the subsequent contract extension)
Not sure why Nashville does this though?

Askarov to CHI for Nazar or Moore
No thanks

nergish

Jun 1, 2019
Would Hoglander and a 1st get the deal done? Too much, or not enough?
Why on earth would you propose this as a Canucks fan?

Askarov has the maximum value of an unproven goaltending prospect. Which is to say, it’s nowhere near that of a young 20 goal scorer. Let alone plus a high draft pick…

I want Allvin to target Askarov in a big way. But it would be to steal him away like bandits in the night. Otherwise, why bother?

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site

Besides Dostal, Anaheim also has Clara whose potential appears to be sky high. I don't think they need another goalie prospect.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Why on earth would you propose this as a Canucks fan?

Askarov has the maximum value of an unproven goaltending prospect. Which is to say, it’s nowhere near that of a young 20 goal scorer. Let alone plus a high draft pick…

I want Allvin to target Askarov in a big way. But it would be to steal him away like bandits in the night. Otherwise, why bother?

A few reasons. Love Hoglander but he sure seems to be on a short leash with Tochett. Although Silovs played spectacular for Vancouver in the playoffs I wouldn't mind having one of the top goaltending prospects pushing him. Askarov is easily a top 5 goaltending prospect, some have him in the top 3. I absolutely love Hoglander, but I have become worrisome of Demko's heath issues. Demko is one of the best goaltenders on the planet but I am not sure if he can even play a full season. Nor rebound from a injury that puts many goaltenders out longterm. Possible Schneider 2.0. I am trying to think of a backup plan for a injured Demko, why not start of with the best possible name on the open market, the one who has the greatest odds of succeeding to his projected elite goaltender status.
If you think Hoglander staright across for Askarov is fair, then fine that's what I was simply asking.

The only problem I see with acquiring Askarov is that I heard his agent was Milstein. Not sure if he wants to deal with the Canucks management anymore after the Kuzmenko and Zadorov fiasco.

Getting Askarov though would be a excellent gamble for the future.

nergish

Jun 1, 2019
A few reasons. Love Hoglander but he sure seems to be on a short leash with Tochett. Although Silovs played spectacular for Vancouver in the playoffs I wouldn't mind having one of the top goaltending prospects pushing him. Askarov is easily a top 5 goaltending prospect, some have him in the top 3. I absolutely love Hoglander, but I have become worrisome of Demko's heath issues. Demko is one of the best goaltenders on the planet but I am not sure if he can even play a full season. Nor rebound from a injury that puts many goaltenders out longterm. Possible Schneider 2.0. I am trying to think of a backup plan for a injured Demko, why not start of with the best possible name on the open market, the one who has the greatest odds of succeeding to his projected elite goaltender status.
If you think Hoglander staright across for Askarov is fair, then fine that's what I was simply asking.

The only problem I see with acquiring Askarov is that I heard his agent was Milstein. Not sure if he wants to deal with the Canucks management anymore after the Kuzmenko and Zadorov fiasco.

Getting Askarov though would be a excellent gamble for the future.
No, dude - I agree with everything you’re saying! Just not the valuation of Askarov. He is absolutely a top 3 goaltending prospect, but ultimately that isn’t worth a ton.

Allvin needs to be all over it, but for way less than Nils Hoglander imo.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
No, dude - I agree with everything you’re saying! Just not the valuation of Askarov. He is absolutely a top 3 goaltending prospect, but ultimately that isn’t worth a ton.

Allvin needs to be all over it, but for way less than Nils Hoglander imo.
Sweet. Well what is Askarov worth in your opinion because I honestly don't know?!

Last edited:
Reactions: nabob

Mayday1980

Mar 28, 2021
Not sure why Nashville does this though?

No thanks
Because goalies are voodoo and a RHD prospects are a need for NSH. RHD are pretty much a need for almost all NHL team prospect pools but NSH is especially sparse on the position.

I mean, signing Saros to the long term deal was all the writing on the wall Askarov needed to decide his future plans. Get wut u can becomes the storyline eventually

Mayday1980

Mar 28, 2021
Besides Dostal, Anaheim also has Clara whose potential appears to be sky high. I don't think they need another goalie prospect.
Clara would be the ducks' what 20th best prospect? Goalies are impossible to forecast for growth/potential on a good day but I'm not sure either Dostal or Clara have remotely close to the potential Askarov brings and for goalies near his age, the only one with more potential than him is Wallstedt.

Don't get me wrong Clara could be good but there's 40 goalie prospects off the top of my head that are easily higher potential.....

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
We'll agree to disagree. If he tells the Preds he has decided that he no longer wants to live in North America, that he wants to live, play and be with his family for the rest of his life in Russia, what can they do? He can find a way to break his NHL contract, through lawyers if need be. I know it was long ago but Radulov did, and then when all was forgotten and forgiven, he returned to North America and eventually signed for significant money.

The Rusians don't care about any NHL/KHL agreement, do you think they care when they are banned from all International events by the IIHF, World Juniors, IOC and the NHL? The NHL is not even making a Russian team for the In-Season International Cup this year, a pure slap in the face to Putin and the Russians.

And the comments by @Porter Stoutheart that KHL teams won't value or want him, have you seen the top goalies in the KHL, Zach Fucale and a whole bunch of nobodies are top ten: KHL Goalie Stats 2023-2024

He would get paid well in Russia, he would be highly coveted.

My point on McLean and Dube was not that they had contracts, it was the point that the Russians don't give a crap on who they bring in, a mass murderer would be fine as long as he has a good one timer.

Anyways, respect you and @Porter Stoutheart but I respectfully disagree.
I do not agree to disagree. Your take was and remains way off and that’s just how it is.

• Haha
Reactions: Craig Ludwig

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
They don't. Askarov makes the most sense for the Jackets. I think the Preds will not find a market to their liking. Huge holes in Askarov's game, just as there were massive holes when he was drafted.. Hasn't changed much.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Clara would be the ducks' what 20th best prospect? Goalies are impossible to forecast for growth/potential on a good day but I'm not sure either Dostal or Clara have remotely close to the potential Askarov brings and for goalies near his age, the only one with more potential than him is Wallstedt.

Don't get me wrong Clara could be good but there's 40 goalie prospects off the top of my head that are easily higher potential.....
Well you are welcome to your opinion. That said, Elite Prospects just had him as the 10th best goalie prospect and Ducks fans just voted him their 6th best prospect at any position. Again, the Ducks have many needs but goaltending is not high on their current list.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006

Dostal is already further ahead than Askarov.. miles ahead. 2 year age gap but Askarov's issues have persisted from his draft year.

So they could be in for him but I assume they would want a veteran alongside Dostal. Clara is very much a wildcard, like almost every goaltending prospect. Dostal is ready to take the Ducks job.. more than ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad