Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Pacioretty to a PTO (official)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I'd be cheering for Alex Nylander to get a job first. At least there's some upside there beyond a few months.

I suspect part of the reason they didn't give Alex Nylander a contract, is knowing that doing so would make him waiver eligible. On an AHL deal, he can be signed to an NHL deal without havign to clear waivers.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
This is peak Toronto Maple Leafs right here. Convince a kid he'll get more ice time under a new coach, sign him up, then legit go get the slow, but grizzled old vet that "still has game" to block said kid from more ice time, then have all your fans says "this could work, low risk, I like it."

Peak Toronto Maple Leafs, baby.

Pacioretty isn't blocking anyone

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Who cares what he or any of them do in the regular season. The question is whether this guy helps this team in the playoffs. Is he Toronto's version of Kyle Okposo?
By the time the playoffs roll around if Patches makes the team he’ll be glue by then, time to movE on from veteran retreads well past their best before due date. Been there, done that oh so many times………

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
I know it’s “only a PTO”. That is true, until it isn’t. A guy like Pacioretty is the same as Thornton or Spezza except he’s not as good. He wants to win and be with a contender. He doesn’t sign a PTO without a handshake deal ready to go once the cap is sorted out.

Same old crap move. Different GM. You need scoring? Give Robertson, Knies and McMann a runway during the regular season. Patches isn’t great shakes in Playoff scoring anyway. He’s not Butch Goring or his modern version, Verhaeghe.

Two Achilles tears in same ankle in two years. You don’t go back to normal after that. This is crap.

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
Let’s not forget about Alex Nylander. He doesn’t have an NHL contract but he scored 10 goals in a short amount of games. A ton of holes to his game but he’s yet another option on that wing.

Edit. Missed the above posts.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
By the time the playoffs roll around if Patches makes the team he’ll be glue by then, time to movE on from veteran retreads well past their best before due date. Been there, done that oh so many times………
It's hard to see how this guy could make an impact in playoff hockey at this point in his career, but I guess you never know.

Two Achilles tears in same ankle in two years. You don’t go back to normal after that. This is crap.
This really is a vicious injury. That tendon is never the same after it tears.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Let’s not forget about Alex Nylander. He doesn’t have an NHL contract but he scored 10 goals in a short amount of games. A ton of holes to his game but he’s yet another option on that wing.

Edit. Missed the above posts.

He's got an AHL contract. If he does well and the Leafs have a hole in the lineup maybe he earns something but sounds like the plan is to play with the Marlies for the season.

CuuuJooo

May 28, 2021
As someone who watches the London Knights quite a bit, I would say that Cowan would be much better served by going back to Junior and playing a final year (ideally as captain).

Reactions: Evilhomer

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Don't like sort of earn your spot here. Basically confirms a sort of Muskoka 5 vibe.

Yeah it doesn’t sound very much like Pacioretty is in much of a fight for a roster spot. There goes minutes for Robertson, Holmberg, and Dewar. Even Knies can miss out on playing time if Berube shoves Pacioretty onto one of the top lines like Keefe did with Thornton, and Pacioretty likely gets time on the powerplay that could’ve gone to Knies or Robertson.

Whatever. I hope he proves me wrong, has a bit of a renaissance season, and is useful in the playoffs but I ain’t holding my breath.

Reactions: rumman

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I think I’m one of the very few who think he can actually bounce back and be a useful third line offensive player but I just don’t see a good fit for him in our lineup.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
This is peak Toronto Maple Leafs right here. Convince a kid he'll get more ice time under a new coach, sign him up, then legit go get the slow, but grizzled old vet that "still has game" to block said kid from more ice time, then have all your fans says "this could work, low risk, I like it."

Peak Toronto Maple Leafs, baby.
Why does the "kid" have to be handed a roster spot? If someone else is better then them, then they aren't ready for the NHL, pretty simple. If someone like Pacioretty who according to most is washed, the younger players shouldn't have a problem beating them out for a spot. Competition is a good thing.

Robertson can't out preform Dewar? Seems like a Robertson problem. Maybe the player has to look in the mirror and understand why someone with less talent like a Dewar for example is in over him.

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
I'm not a huge fan. His age, his injury history, bumping a kid with better legs down a roster spot... I think this team needed to add a bit more speed, or at least someone at center, and I don't think this signing addresses that issue. Willing to give it a chance, but yeah, pretty lukewarm over here.

Reactions: rumman

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
I think its positive that the Leafs had him come in to skate in front of the staff first, before giving him a contract.

A full summer of training and getting back to shape, after consecutive off-seasons of rehabbing and recovering from injuries, might have him looking decent again

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Why does the "kid" have to be handed a roster spot? If someone else is better then them, then they aren't ready for the NHL, pretty simple. If someone like Pacioretty who according to most is washed, the younger players shouldn't have a problem beating them out for a spot. Competition is a good thing.

Robertson can't out preform Dewar? Seems like a Robertson problem. Maybe the player has to look in the mirror and understand why someone with less talent like a Dewar for example is in over him.
It would be the Leafy thing to lose Robertson on waivers to Patches only to see Patches tear another Achilles tendon a week later……

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Dreger says Pacioretty has no guarantee, and has to earn a contract.

1726186819583.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad