Weekes: Askarov has informed the Predators he will not report to AHL team, asks for trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Is Bystedt a center or a winger? What position did he play last year in the AHL?

Primarily a center but is versatile enough to kick over to wing. I think his game is better suited as a center where I think he can top out as a decent 2C but is more likely to be a good to high end 3C.

He played center for the Cuda and put up 7pts in 8 games.

vtdevils2k

"Lets Go Baby!"
Dec 16, 2013
Virginia
I highly respect all of your posts on this subject, but every one of them is a negative comment about Askarov the person and how he is not a great prospect of a goalie. Every publication out there has him as the top, if not second best goaltending prospect in the world. I think that Nashville and Trotz are incredibly screwing this up, a very assinine move signing Wedgewood for 2 years. He could definitely pull a Radulov and leave for a more lucrative 2-3 year contract in Russia, and make 3-5 Million more. The KHL is the wild wild west and certain teams don't give a damn about any NHL agreement, heck they just signed McLeod and Dube. Bottom line is that he is a very good goalie, and saying he's a bad one and not ready because of one bad playoff year, is silly. In Montreal Carey Price and Patrick Roy had some lousy playoff years, it's a small sample. Again, I respect your many comments on this post but it's almost like you ARE Barry Trotz hiding behind that moniker.
:clap:

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Saskatoon

Aug 24, 2006
Saskatoon
It is always so hard to gauge how GM's value goalies

They tend to go for lower than expected but developing goalies with Askarov's pedigree don't get traded often.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Usually I’m against the player here but the Predators really gave him no choice. Sign a starter for an 8 year deal and then a backup for 2 years. That basically says he has to ride the busses for 80k a year and live in Wisconsin coming off of playing on a good KHL team where he probsbly made 10x that.

They’ve handled him extremely poorly and need to move him. He’s clearly not in their plans and they’ve been sitting on their hands on this for multiple off seasons. It’s clearer than ever and I don’t blame him for wanting out. Refusing the AHL is the only card he has
Really just an utterly atrocious handling of him by the Preds. They needed to pick between him and Saros as the long term guy sooner. Should've just made up their mind on Saros before even drafting Askarov (or any goalie) that high.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
well he's ready for the NHL. and if NSH won't give him a chance. ask for a trade. I wouldn't report to the AHL at this point either and ask for a trade.
Funny enough Nico Daws is in the same situation.

Markstrom = Saros
Allen = Wedgewood
Daws = Askarov

Wonder if he will ask for a trade soon too.

• Haha
Reactions: zeeto

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
As an Oiler fan I would offer any prospect and a 1st
As an Oiler fan I would not offer a 1st, but I would offer recently acquired Matt Savoie (our best prospect, by far) and Olivier Rodrigue, who is a good AHL goalie with NHL upside who has never whispered a word about not reporting to the AHL this year. I don't believe our GM would offer that, based off of...well nothing really, as we just brought in Bowman, but our last GM would never have spent that kind of package on a goalie. I'd do it though. Run with Skinner and Askarov.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site

Markstrom = Saros
Allen = Wedgewood
Daws = Askarov

Wonder if he will ask for a trade soon too.
IMO - the difference to me is that Askarov can probably be making a ton more in the KHL. He's essentially been making less than $100K per year in the AHL, and has been a "good soldier" for 2 years. I don't blame him if he doesn't want to spend 2 more years in Milwaukee waiting for a chance for a NHL job in Nashville.

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
Good for Askarov

Preds f***ing with his career and intentionally stalling his development going forward make his request reasonable
f***ing with his career and intentionally stalling his development? How do you justify that kind of allegation of underhandedness? Maybe the Nashville management simply doesn't agree that he is definitely NHL ready.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
IMO - the difference to me is that Askarov can probably be making a ton more in the KHL. He's essentially been making less than $100K per year in the AHL, and has been a "good soldier" for 2 years. I don't blame him if he doesn't want to spend 2 more years in Milwaukee waiting for a chance for a NHL job in Nashville.
Someone covered this decently well earlier, can't remember which page -- with the NHL call-ups, he probably made $200K last year, and as an unproven youngster in a country with a fair few good goalies, it's not guaranteed that he'd make a whole lot more in the KHL and his best option is probably to get traded and signed to an extension on a team that sees him as a core piece of their future.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
He has made around $200k per year in the AHL. $80k salary + $92.5k signing bonus + $20-30k NHL coffee breaks.

Look up KHL salaries. He might get around $500k there, tops. It's definitely more than an AHL/NHL split. Is that a "ton" more? I don't know, depends on your definition of a "ton". But he also has to wait at least a year to get that, so he has at least a year of zero to get that. Plus going to the KHL isn't going to make NHL GMs want to hand him a nice contract to come back.

He probably would have had a slightly larger cup of coffee in the NHL this season with the Preds, even if he didn't outright take the job from Wedgewood at some point. So probably $300k-ish this season. And $1M next season taking his QO, or something even nicer on an offersheet, and sky's the limit after that. All depending on his play of course.

But there is not some magical gargantuan payday boost waiting for him in the KHL. That is pure bluff. Going to another NHL team is a valid desire for him, but his timing isn't going to get him more money, just more opportunity down the road (he hopes).

Last edited:
Reactions: mouser and Jacob

barriers

Feb 10, 2020

Markstrom = Saros
Allen = Wedgewood
Daws = Askarov

Wonder if he will ask for a trade soon too

What? Saros is signed for 4 times the length Markstrom is. Wedgewood is signed twice Allen's contract length. Daws AHL salary this season is $350k, Askarov is $80k. Daws salary next season is $850k no matter where he plays. They are all goalies though so points for making that connection.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
What? Saros is signed for 4 times the length Markstrom is. Wedgewood is signed twice Allen's contract length. Daws AHL salary this season is $350k, Askarov is $80k. Daws salary next season is $850k no matter where he plays. They are all goalies though so points for making that connection.
I was thinking more in terms of the team putting a starter and a vet back up in front of a young goalie who is NHL ready.

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
I was thinking more in terms of the team putting a starter and a vet back up in front of a young goalie who is NHL ready.
Daws is in line to be the backup 2025/26, the last year of Markstrom's contract. He has the opportunity to take a good shot a the starter's job past that. Askarov is damn near frozen out of a chance at being Nashville's starter for several years unless Saros' career unexpectedly ends. These are not comparable situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad