ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
It sounds like he's working for a trade, although I really don't think he's proven he's an NHL goalie yet.

Just hope we don't f it up, because he has that "it" factor that very few goalies have.

Reactions: Armourboy

eojsmada

Oct 23, 2022
Not sure how Millstein thinks his client has proven he's an NHL caliber goalie. 2-3 in the playoffs with an .882 sv% doesn't scream to me, "Ready to be your #1 goalie." Why not just take the next year as the backup and parlay that into something and actually prove he's ready to assume the role.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Not sure how Millstein thinks his client has proven he's an NHL caliber goalie. 2-3 in the playoffs with an .882 sv% doesn't scream to me, "Ready to be your #1 goalie." Why not just take the next year as the backup and parlay that into something and actually prove he's ready to assume the role.
They have Saros / Wedgewood under contracts

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
You can't be serious

Also what makes Askarov better than every other goalie prospect that served a few years in the AHL first?
Instincts, reflexes, "intangibles"
He's widely thought of as the best rookie goalie and has two really good seasons in the AHL as a 20 year old.
Stylistically he plays a Vokoun/Hasek type game, with big confidence and swagger and a "do anything to stop the puck" mentality.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Yeah he definitely has not proven himself ready for the NHL. If he was, Nashville would have him up in the NHL and would not have spent money on Wedgewood as a backup.

The smartest thing Askarov could do is take full advantage of the opportunity before him to start a lot of games in Milwaukee and benefit from the tutelage of Mitch Korn. If he just puts in the work and doesn’t get distracted, he’ll get his chance in the NHL soon enough.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I like Askarov, but I don't think he's better than Knight who's still in the AHL. Wolf had to win AHL goalie of the year twice, and still put in another season before he was promoted. Levi looks like he'll start the season in the AHL. Demko didn't get the NHL net until he was 25. Askarov belongs in the AHL at bare minimum one more year

eojsmada

Oct 23, 2022
Yeah he definitely has not proven himself ready for the NHL. If he was, Nashville would have him up in the NHL and would not have spent money on Wedgewood as a backup.

The smartest thing Askarov could do is take full advantage of the opportunity before him to start a lot of games in Milwaukee and benefit from the tutelage of Mitch Korn. If he just puts in the work and doesn’t get distracted, he’ll get his chance in the NHL soon enough.
Agree. The biggest knock against him is that in big games/tournament/playoff play he doesn't show up. And really hasn't proven otherwise, so far, in his pro career.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
I like Askarov, but I don't think he's better than Knight who's still in the AHL. Wolf had to win AHL goalie of the year twice, and still put in another season before he was promoted. Levi looks like he'll start the season in the AHL. Demko didn't get the NHL net until he was 25. Askarov belongs in the AHL at bare minimum one more year
Knight was in the AHL purely for the off the ice stuff

Reactions: JUSTGIROUXIT

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

I think its a combination of re-signing Saros as starter long term AND signing Wedgewood. Can't know what's going on behind the scenes, but Nashville probably has to work to reassure Askarov after those moves. Or let him pout.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Dan Milstein: Yaroslav’s got potential to become an elite goalie in the future. Today, we’re working with his club exploring different possibilities. Yaroslav has proven to everyone he’s an NHL caliber goalie

Source: Мильштейн: Аскаров должен стать элитным вратарём в НХЛ

Based on his tone, I think we’re definitely going to see a trade

I would definitely have a ton of interest if I were the Blackhawks.

I like Gajan but still.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad