OT: Around the NHL: The Countdown to Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ally22

Jul 3, 2013
I didn't know this was on today...but Dubynk over Letang? Really? Though I shouldn't have expected better out of people who didn't even know if Ovie was RW or LW :help:

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
"It is often awarded to a player who has come back from career– or even life-threatening illness or injury."

Which, I guess playing for Edmonton accounts for? Or was it that he overcame his lack of confidence after getting cut by Nashville? I don't really care about the award, but you're going to give it to a goalie that just found himself with a much better system in front of him instead of a guy that recovered from a stroke and was playing near Norris level hockey until he had the concussion? This is the first time in 15 years (and 2nd time in 25 years) that the award wasn't given to a guy coming back from a serious injury or life challenge.

I'm not sure what's dumber: giving it to Dubnyk for managing to not be terrible for half a year or giving it to Daneyko for joining AA.

Neither has any ****ing thing to do with perseverance or dedication to the game.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
I hope the Penguins can win some of Carey Price's awards next year.

Price deserved his awards.

"It is often awarded to a player who has come back from career– or even life-threatening illness or injury."

Which, I guess playing for Edmonton accounts for? Or was it that he overcame his lack of confidence after getting cut by Nashville? I don't really care about the award, but you're going to give it to a goalie that just found himself with a much better system in front of him instead of a guy that recovered from a stroke and was playing near Norris level hockey until he had the concussion? This is the first time in 15 years (and 2nd time in 25 years) that the award wasn't given to a guy coming back from a serious injury or life challenge.

Yepp. The only explanation is petty writers voting against someone because of the jersey they wear. I remember when Letang was first nominated by the Pittsburgh writers that fans from every team in the league were saying he'd win in a landslide. Yet Dubnyk wins for not being terrible at hockey for the first time in his career.

It's funny because I thought that if Letang didn't get concussed he would have almost certainly been a finalist for the Norris. The guy was absolutely incredible this year. But if they don't even recognize him for this, I doubt he'd have been.

BHD

Here comes Skinner
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Wait... Letang didn't win the Masterson? Maybe he doesn't give two ****s and is happy just to be able to play, but come on...

On a less serious note, Ekblad winning the Calder is kind of cool.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
The award is whoever gets the most points is the best dman, even if they suck balls defensivly. Points matter!

It's too bad Lidstrom was still around in Green's heyday, if any d deserved a norris fot purely offensive ability it was green in that little three year stretch he had.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
Price deserved his awards.

Yepp. The only explanation is petty writers voting against someone because of the jersey they wear. I remember when Letang was first nominated by the Pittsburgh writers that fans from every team in the league were saying he'd win in a landslide. Yet Dubnyk wins for not being terrible at hockey for the first time in his career.

It's funny because I thought that if Letang didn't get concussed he would have almost certainly been a finalist for the Norris. The guy was absolutely incredible this year. But if they don't even recognize him for this, I doubt he'd have been.

Being injured for more than say five games pretty much disqualifies you from any award now apparently.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Wait... Letang didn't win the Masterson? Maybe he doesn't give two ****s and is happy just to be able to play, but come on...

On a less serious note, Ekblad winning the Calder is kind of cool.

I thought he and his wife looked like they both had been slapped in the face.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
What, exactly, did Dubnyk do to exhibit "to a high degree the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship, and dedication to hockey"?

He's been in the NHL since the 09/10 season (aside from a brief 8 game stint in the AHL during the 13/14 season), albeit with 4 different teams. It isn't like he's been sticking to hockey despite being in the minor leagues and/or Europe, and then finally made it, though. He's been getting paid good money to be an NHL goalie.

He had a good season? Good for him. There's a couple of different trophies for having a good season. It's too bad for him that he had his good season in the same year as Price had an outstanding one, but that's just the way it goes sometimes.

Seriously, by the standard used to award Dubnyk the Masterton, Tim Thomas should have won one. For that matter, maybe Mike Sillinger should have gotten it for sticking with hockey after bouncing between 12 teams during his career! That would have made just as much sense as Dubnyk.

Man, it must have been awfully difficult to stick with a career in hockey when he was continuing to get paid a lot of money to play at the highest level of the game...

It would have been nice to see the vote totals for the Masterton like they do with all of the other awards, at least.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
I'm shocked that Letang didn't win the Masterton, I guess everyone forgot about the stroke

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Soderberg's rights traded to Avs. I guess they can view him as a kind of replacement for O'Reilly at a lower salary even though Soderberg is more of a playmaker, less of an all-around guy I believe. And blind in one eye.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
I hope the Penguins can win some of Carey Price's awards next year.

The Awards show was laughable, I almost fell off the treadmill when I saw Dubnyk win...I mean that award is ridiculous to begin with, but a guy that rebounds after being traded and now has nowhere to go and teams would rather go after Talbot which will cost them assets instead..it's hilarious to me.

Most of those awards were just horrible.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
So trading negotiating rights is still a thing? Should've done that with orpik, niskannen. Ehrhoff, martin.
Nobody's going to trade rights these days unless a pretty rock solid agreement is struck between club and player during the negotiation period, and for it to come early enough that the club wants to safeguard against someone else undercutting their offer before the end of the week.

And even then, you get a sixth round pick. Whoop-de-do.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Giving up a 1st for Lehner is a really dumb move by Buffalo, i don't know why any team would give up valuable assets now a days for a goalie unless your getting somebody like Lundqvist.

BHD

Here comes Skinner
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Lehner is only 23, even though it seems like he has been in the league longer. A first round pick is a steep price, but it could be worth it if Lehner finds his game.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Lehner is too heavy for a goalie, it doesn't work for him, if he trimmed off like 20lbs, he would move better. He's hefty goalie and very unproven and inconsistent. Uncle and nephew sweetheart deal here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad