OT: Around the NHL: The Countdown to Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I think it gets annoying when it's implied that our team was ever assembled as well as the Hawks were. And that it was DB and the core's fault for not getting us to the promised land.

The highest paid players in that Cup Final were quiet for much of it. And yet it was a close 6 game series. Our stars don't produce, and it's a 4 game sweep or some other **** show.

PensFanSince1989

Oct 25, 2008
Ummm nobody said that? :laugh:

Well then, let sports fans be sports fans. Yes, we get it, Chicago is a really good team. They've won the cup 3 times in 6 years with the same core. Hard to do that without being a really good team.

But Penguins fans are free to dislike them, hate them even, and no, it's not just because of jealously. Sports fans usually have teams they love, like, and sometimes nearly just as importantly, hate. Reasons for hating a team can be numerous. The constant posts that basically reek of "if you don't like the Hawks, or aren't happy for the Hawks, you must be jealous" from a number of posters here are obnoxious.

Hell, my select hatred for certain teams keeps me entertained and engaged throughout the playoffs after my team is eliminated far more than picking a secondary team does. In hockey, Chicago just happens to be one of those teams and has been for quite some time. It has nothing to do with jealousy.

MrWilson*

Tell me again why this thread is under Pittsburgh Penguins. Plus the title is unreadable. Please remove.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
This is the general NHL thread – technically it's about every team except the Penguins. Blackhawks talk is on-topic the same as Lightning talk or the Kings or Flyers or whoever.

And the title stays. If you can't be a good enough sport to have a laugh while giving a little respect where it's due, you probably shouldn't be here. Or just read the other threads and stay out of this one if you only want to talk about the Penguins.

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009
turned out great for the pens IMO. since I feel we'll be no where close to challenging next year

tampa will be that much hungrier next year and hopefully be there again to eliminate the rangers.

it also might create a frenzy deadline where the rags, TB and maybe a couple other teams try to make moves to get them over the top where we can ship out some cup winning vets for assets

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
I think this year's draft is going to be busier than usual and probably busier than the deadline next season.

BHD

Here comes Skinner
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
I don't take **** personally when i'm offline, i even talk friendly to Flyers fans or Rangers fans.

Yeah, I kind of exaggerated there. I don't mind conversing with (supposedly) rival fans as long as it is actual hockey discussion and not fan bashing.

sf expat71

Nov 10, 2008
Atlantic Ocean
Yeah, I kind of exaggerated there. I don't mind conversing with (supposedly) rival fans as long as it is actual hockey discussion and not fan bashing.

It does annoy me at times when some random Flyer fan I meet says something to the effect of how the Pens/Flyers rivalry is not a big deal, it's all from the Pens' fans' side, they are bigger rivals with the Rangers, etc. I mean, yeah, I know they have our number these last few years, but our local paper didn't do a headline of Giroux wearing a tutu or whatever it was. And so I know they're full of it, they are saying it to sound nonchalant whilst grating my nerves, and it is successful. So of course I'm annoyed that I get annoyed by it, thus escalating a vicious cycle. /rant. Bring back Despres.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
It does annoy me at times when some random Flyer fan I meet says something to the effect of how the Pens/Flyers rivalry is not a big deal, it's all from the Pens' fans' side, they are bigger rivals with the Rangers, etc. I mean, yeah, I know they have our number these last few years, but our local paper didn't do a headline of Giroux wearing a tutu or whatever it was. And so I know they're full of it, they are saying it to sound nonchalant whilst grating my nerves, and it is successful. So of course I'm annoyed that I get annoyed by it, thus escalating a vicious cycle. /rant. Bring back Despres.

Those Flyers fans are clearly liars. The whole Flyers organization is obsessed with the Pens.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
If the Penguins were "no big deal" to the Flyers... their arguably most legendary player and current VP wouldn't have gone out of his way to take a shot at them just a couple of weeks ago.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Tell me again why this thread is under Pittsburgh Penguins. Plus the title is unreadable. Please remove.

It's AROUND THE NHL. :laugh: And the thread title was sarcastically changed for fun.

Well then, let sports fans be sports fans. Yes, we get it, Chicago is a really good team. They've won the cup 3 times in 6 years with the same core. Hard to do that without being a really good team.

But Penguins fans are free to dislike them, hate them even, and no, it's not just because of jealously. Sports fans usually have teams they love, like, and sometimes nearly just as importantly, hate. Reasons for hating a team can be numerous. The constant posts that basically reek of "if you don't like the Hawks, or aren't happy for the Hawks, you must be jealous" from a number of posters here are obnoxious.

Hell, my select hatred for certain teams keeps me entertained and engaged throughout the playoffs after my team is eliminated far more than picking a secondary team does. In hockey, Chicago just happens to be one of those teams and has been for quite some time. It has nothing to do with jealousy.

Chicago wins, again, and Pens fans go "**** CHICAGOZ!" but it's not seen as jealousy? Come on. I think what you are doing is taking personal offense to my statement when it doesn't include you.

I'm not saying every single Penguins fan is acting that way. If you feel bothered because you feel lumped in with that group, believe in your own reasoning and don't lump yourself in with them. I feel very confident in saying most fans (even if it is only 51%) are hating them due to jealousy.

If the Penguins were "no big deal" to the Flyers... their arguably most legendary player and current VP wouldn't have gone out of his way to take a shot at them just a couple of weeks ago.

Exactly. Actions >>>>> words.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
UM didn't say anything worth agreeing with. Why can't you compare the Pens to the best team in hockey? Isn't that what the Pens wanted to become? Weren't both teams gifted star players through the lottery within a few years of each other?

One team saw it's highly paid stars miss good portions of seasons, and many more on top of those.

You can't compare because the two situations are miles apart.

To even remotely say they were is complete denial of what transpired for each team.

You need health first before anything else can make a difference, period.

The Hawks had a broken collar bone happen to Kane which healed quicker than normal. He was still back ready for the playoffs with everyone else healthy. That's the worst that's happen to them.

You know why the Pens moved a lot of those assets?

Injuries replacing guys rather than adding to what they already have.

The only true argument that could be made over that span is they should have just packed it in in each one of those scenarios.

But they are a team supposed to challenge and makes it difficult to do just that when the top players are healthy, and bad fortunes after moves can't be held accountable.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Apparently Backes and Oshie are available. Wonder why...

It's hard to understand why that team hasn't done better the last two post-seasons. They were pretty well loaded, and with the right balance of players for the most part. Have to wonder if Hitch has problems adjusting his conservative game plans when things aren't working in the playoffs.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
I think it gets annoying when it's implied that our team was ever assembled as well as the Hawks were. And that it was DB and the core's fault for not getting us to the promised land.

The highest paid players in that Cup Final were quiet for much of it. And yet it was a close 6 game series. Our stars don't produce, and it's a 4 game sweep or some other **** show.

The Hawks have better scouts, better developmental system, and a fantastic coach, that's where you build your foundation, people assume Toews did it all himself, no no he didn't, he had a solid supporting cast and even then, Keith is the hero of that team no matter what HHOF petition the Hawks fans are starting right now.

Pens have never been a great developmental system type team, haven't been good at drafting and allowed a coach that stifled youth to stay on way past his due date.

You put any other coach in Chicago outside of JQ and they aren't Champions.

Quenneville is the real MVP. And it pisses me off because I wanted him on the Pens after he left the Blues but nooooo, we got Therrien.

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
Apparently Backes and Oshie are available. Wonder why...

Blues have so much depth and have not been succeeding in the playoffs that guys like this are always said to be available. I doubt they get moved in reality. Not Backes or Oshie anyway. Those are bread and butter leader types that don't come around often.

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
The Hawks have better scouts, better developmental system, and a fantastic coach, that's where you build your foundation, people assume Toews did it all himself, no no he didn't, he had a solid supporting cast and even then, Keith is the hero of that team no matter what HHOF petition the Hawks fans are starting right now.

Pens have never been a great developmental system type team, haven't been good at drafting and allowed a coach that stifled youth to stay on way past his due date.

You put any other coach in Chicago outside of JQ and they aren't Champions.

Quenneville is the real MVP. And it pisses me off because I wanted him on the Pens after he left the Blues but nooooo, we got Therrien.

I think we as Pens fans get a better perspective of how the Hawks dynasty goes down given how similar each teams beginnings were and how the last half decade has gone for each. In that it is clear that the Hawks success is a result of not only the star players but just that it is a great organization right now top to bottom. Media and fairweathered fans (of which for a successful team there will be many) will find their heroes to put all the success onto. That's the tradition in sports and that's what sells.

Our management and coaching failed us. That's the difference between the Penguins and the Blackhawks. By all accounts, Crosby and Malkin are a better duo than Toews and Kane. The difference is the rest of the organization. And perhaps more-so than any other sport, hockey is a team sport and success results from depth throughout.

BHD

Here comes Skinner
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
It's hard to understand why that team hasn't done better the last two post-seasons. They were pretty well loaded, and with the right balance of players for the most part. Have to wonder if Hitch has problems adjusting his conservative game plans when things aren't working in the playoffs.

Lacklustre performances from certain players (Oshie, Steen, Backes) and poor goaltending (Elliott, Miller, Allen). Hitch might be part of it, too.

Blues have so much depth and have not been succeeding in the playoffs that guys like this are always said to be available. I doubt they get moved in reality. Not Backes or Oshie anyway. Those are bread and butter leader types that don't come around often.

Yet of all the players on the team - which, as you mentioned, is very deep - these guys are the ones being mentioned in trade talk.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Lacklustre performances from certain players (Oshie, Steen, Backes) and poor goaltending (Elliott, Miller, Allen). Hitch might be part of it, too.

Yeah the goaltending has been shakey at times but there's something else going on there. Maybe something mental, who knows. I think they need a new coach, possibly a new infusion of talent. Shipping off Oshie or Berglund wouldn't hurt. Not sure I'd move Backes. He's a pretty rare breed of player though not always consistent. Berglund is the most easily replaceable; they don't lack for C talent even if they trade both of those guys. Still have Backes, Stastny, Schwartz, Lehtera down the middle at worst. I mean ****. That's the definition of being loaded. You move two guys who can play C and you don't even blink.

I could see maybe they want to get rid of Backes before he starts to slow down (he takes a beating), he and Oshie could bring in some nice pieces, Berglund a decent pick probably.

Stastny
Schwartz
Lehtera
Trade / FA

Is still a really solid lineup down the middle. Maybe not ideal in terms of physicality but otherwise, a good group.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad