OT: Around the NHL: The Countdown to Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
The minority voicing displeasure:

You wanted the Pens to play fast offensive hockey - Chicago plays it.

You wanted a team that doesn't goon it up - Chicago plays that way.

You wanted a team built around stars - Chicago did it.

You wanted skill and speed to win instead of size and trapping - Chicago did it 3 times.

I don't get the Pens fans saying "Chicago fans are smug!!!" What fans aren't? This is a lifelong game of "WE ARE BETTER THAN YOU" throughout each city. None of us play the game. None of us do anything to make them better or worse. That's what being a fan is. It's rubbing it in when your team wins and make excuses when they lose. That's sports in a nutshell. You bet your ass if the Pens won 3 Cups like Chicago did, I'd have extra pep in my step around here and I'd damn sure let every Philly fan know it every time I got into an argument with them.

All I ask is for the FEW naysayers around here to at least man up and own up. Being a fan is all about bragging and gloating. :laugh: That's what fans do. Accept the fact they are amazing. Accept the fact they ARE a dynasty. Accept the fact Pittsburgh ****ed up and couldn't do what Chicago did. You don't have to like it, but don't go calling another fan base smug. That's silly. Chicago fans took it on the chin when they were the laughing stock of the league. So did Pens fans. Let them have their moment, admit you wish it were your favorite team, and move on.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
Lol blaming bettman now.. blame the owners if you have a problem. And chicago and the west showed they can beat the Neanderthal style of the east AGAIN.

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
The record for the Pens after Letang was out and then Despres moved and the team was cap strapped with 5 D is an eye opener for how badly the team was struggling with injuries.

If the Pens were in the same health situation as the Hawks, this team would have went deeper in the playoffs and I believe that even if people here don't.

I fully believe that the Pens push the Rangers to 7 games and possibly win the series with just Letang healthy.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I fully believe that the Pens push the Rangers to 7 games and possibly win the series with just Letang healthy.

Yeah, I was pretty proud of how they played in that series with the roster they had.

Letang helps us score at least a few more goals just with his transition game. Let alone bumping D-men down the depth chart.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Barely a day has passed since the Hawks lifted it and already people are starting "Who wins the Cup next season?" threads.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yeah, I was pretty proud of how they played in that series with the roster they had.

Letang helps us score at least a few more goals just with his transition game. Let alone bumping D-men down the depth chart.

People underestimate how badly Letang was missed. You take out Keith out of the Hawks line-up and Stamkos is celebrating his first cup win while being useless. That's how much Letang means to the Pens D, whether people want to admit it or not.

I mean, if Pouliot and Letang were healthy, the Pens would have Letang leading the charge and Pouliot being some support. Martin was horrendous as a puck moving defenseman, I am actually relieved he's gone and if the youth movement is mostly a cost cutting measure, whatever...glad this team is doing that.

I see Niclas Andersen as Scuderi's replacement.

Dumoulin, Letang
Maatta, Lovejoy
Andersen/Cole, Pouliot

Watching the Rangers, it was painfully obvious that all the Pens needed was some support out of their own end, when you have Sid, Geno and your offensive threats all deep in their own end trying to break out...well, we saw the end result.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I don't care who does it (well not the Flyers), I hope someone offer sheets Saad 6.5m/yr, Chicago can't match that.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I don't care who does it (well not the Flyers), I hope someone offer sheets Saad 6.5m/yr, Chicago can't match that.

Yea, i'm kinda hoping that happens. They'll keep Saad though and just trade Hossa or Seabrook.
The Hawks still have Keith and Hossa locked up forever on sweetheart deals and Seabrook still at 1 more yr @ below 6M. At this point it's just not fair. They're even scooping up the best prospects for free(Panarin and probably Reilly). Some GM needs to stick it to them. Besides, doing so means you're bettering your chances at a Cup anyway.

Last edited:

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Other players (Bickell, Sharp, Versteeg) will be sacrificed before it comes to Seabrook and Hossa.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Other players (Bickell, Sharp, Versteeg) will be sacrificed before it comes to Seabrook and Hossa.

Yea, this year. I'm talking more into next year. If Saad gets offersheeted for 6.5M+, it really hampers thier chances of signing Seabrook to something reasonable and they'd have to make the decision of keeping Seabs and moving Hossa(for example) or keeping Hossa and moving Seabs.

Saad @ 6.5+ simply means they can't keep thier awesome core together for longer than they'd probably want to and a saavy GM should throw a big offer sheet thier way cuz it's time for that team to feel a real cap crunch where thier real core has to be broken down and not just the spare parts.

Just as an example. Heres Saad @ 5.25M(not my roster. someone elses)

https://hockeyscap.com/armchair-gm/team/3215

Saad @ 6.5M+ and they really start to hurt. And them hurting means everyone else has a better chance at a Cup, imo.

Yea, i'm jealous cuz they're so good and especially cuz they're picking up all the cheap, free, young talent but it's time to start battling them both on and off the ice to beat them.

Last edited:

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
Honestly if I'm the Hawks I'd try to move Crawford

Go with Raanta and Darling

Not to mention, I'm sure they can ship Sharp out now that Saad has emerged in their top 6. That's another 6 million they can reinvest. Hell, Sharp can probably fetch them a nice draft pick and they can restock the cupboard.

Kinda like we shoulda done with Martin. And Kunitz. And yada yada I hate Pens management. Chicago's reign ain't nowhere close to being done just because Toews and Kane got paid.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Not to mention, I'm sure they can ship Sharp out now that Saad has emerged in their top 6. That's another 6 million they can reinvest. Hell, Sharp can probably fetch them a nice draft pick and they can restock the cupboard.

Kinda like we shoulda done with Martin. And Kunitz. And yada yada I hate Pens management. Chicago's reign ain't nowhere close to being done just because Toews and Kane got paid.

Thats another thing as a saavy Gm, i'd do the Hawks no favours.
Hawks HAVE to move Sharp and Bickell. If a team gives up a 1st, in this years draft, to the Hawks of all teams for Sharp? facepalm.jpg

Sorry

May 18, 2005
This has been my off season itinerary the last few years;
1. Watch baseball for ten days
2. NHL Draft
3. Make fun of leafs fans on the internet
4. Free agency
5. I guess watch baseball and golf for a while
6. Ooooh prospect camps/tourneys
7. Is it september yet?
8. Shave and throw away 10,000 beer cans

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yea, i'm kinda hoping that happens. They'll keep Saad though and just trade Hossa or Seabrook.
The Hawks still have Keith and Hossa locked up forever on sweetheart deals and Seabrook still at 1 more yr @ below 6M. At this point it's just not fair. They're even scooping up the best prospects for free(Panarin and probably Reilly). Some GM needs to stick it to them. Besides, doing so means you're bettering your chances at a Cup anyway.

Good, I hope they do move Sharp, Bickell and Hossa if someone offer sheets Saad at 6.5m/yr.

Edit: Because it's not just about Saad. The Hawks rely heavily on Seabrook, Keith and Hjalmarsson on the blueline, it's what allows them to rotate in bottom pairing youth and not worry so much. Seabrook will get a very big pay day if he tests the market next summer.

I don't feel pity for them at all. 10.5m/yr each for a cap hit to Toews AND Kane? Lmao.

Last edited:

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Why are you laughing about Kane and Toews getting paid what they are worth in today's market?

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I shook the hand of a Hawks fan at my work (he's a truck driver for Lays) and said congrats on the cup and being a dynasty.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
I shook the hand of a Hawks fan at my work (he's a truck driver for Lays) and said congrats on the cup and being a dynasty.

You should be commended. I don't think I could bring myself to do that. It would hurt too much.

PensFanSince1989

Oct 25, 2008
The minority voicing displeasure:

You wanted the Pens to play fast offensive hockey - Chicago plays it.

You wanted a team that doesn't goon it up - Chicago plays that way.

You wanted a team built around stars - Chicago did it.

You wanted skill and speed to win instead of size and trapping - Chicago did it 3 times.

I don't get the Pens fans saying "Chicago fans are smug!!!" What fans aren't? This is a lifelong game of "WE ARE BETTER THAN YOU" throughout each city. None of us play the game. None of us do anything to make them better or worse. That's what being a fan is. It's rubbing it in when your team wins and make excuses when they lose. That's sports in a nutshell. You bet your ass if the Pens won 3 Cups like Chicago did, I'd have extra pep in my step around here and I'd damn sure let every Philly fan know it every time I got into an argument with them.

All I ask is for the FEW naysayers around here to at least man up and own up. Being a fan is all about bragging and gloating. :laugh: That's what fans do. Accept the fact they are amazing. Accept the fact they ARE a dynasty. Accept the fact Pittsburgh ****ed up and couldn't do what Chicago did. You don't have to like it, but don't go calling another fan base smug. That's silly. Chicago fans took it on the chin when they were the laughing stock of the league. So did Pens fans. Let them have their moment, admit you wish it were your favorite team, and move on.

Why is it so important to you that all Penguins fans also be Blackhawks fans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad