NHL Around the NHL - Regular Season 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Yeah Im in the boat that thinks Drouin is going to fold hard up in Montreal.

But well see.

I don`t think he`ll "fold hard" but I do think that city has expectations, especially of francophone players that are difficult to fill and I`m not sure he`ll be able to reach the potential they will expect.

My guess, he`ll be a 55-65 pt guy and in this NHL, that`s pretty good but Hab fans will be livid at that production.

I`m also very intrigued to see how a guy like Drouin is able to play under a coach like CJ, Cooper was/is a far more free flowing coach based on games I watched them play, typically allowed to or gave his skilled players the green light to do their thing, not exactly CJ`s way

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
:laugh:

the Golden Knights may become my 2nd favorite team....they trolled the Habs.

BOSTON (CBS) — The NHL’s newest team might find itself gaining some fans from an Original Six city in rather short order.

At least, that’ll be the case if the Vegas Golden Knights continue to pester the Montreal Canadiens on Twitter, which is something they did in marvelous fashion on Wednesday afternoon.

The conversation began with a tongue-in-cheek celebratory tweet from the Golden Knights in which they boasted about winning two preseason games, which is “more than @Patriots, @dallascowboys or the Washington Pro Football Club.â€

A Canadiens fan who totally picked up on the dripping sarcasm tweeted at the Knights to remind them that the Canadiens are proud owners of 24 Stanley Cups. Very cool!

The Knights responded with more sarcasm, noting that they’ve won two more times than the Canadiens have won Cups since 1993.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2017/09/20/vegas-golden-knights-roast-canadiens-on-twitter/

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011

BOSTON (CBS) — The NHL’s newest team might find itself gaining some fans from an Original Six city in rather short order.

At least, that’ll be the case if the Vegas Golden Knights continue to pester the Montreal Canadiens on Twitter, which is something they did in marvelous fashion on Wednesday afternoon.

The conversation began with a tongue-in-cheek celebratory tweet from the Golden Knights in which they boasted about winning two preseason games, which is “more than @Patriots, @dallascowboys or the Washington Pro Football Club.”

A Canadiens fan who totally picked up on the dripping sarcasm tweeted at the Knights to remind them that the Canadiens are proud owners of 24 Stanley Cups. Very cool!

The Knights responded with more sarcasm, noting that they’ve won two more times than the Canadiens have won Cups since 1993.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2017/09/20/vegas-golden-knights-roast-canadiens-on-twitter/

Jeebus Christmas, do those Habs fans have anything else? They are the living embodiment of Barney Fife - Only one bullet for their gun.

Love this reply:

We're definitely proud! But not as proud as @CanadiensMTL are of how many championships they won when there were only 6 teams in the league https://twitter.com/CanadiensMTL/status/910567508268261377

Way to go Vegas!!!

Sharp Shooting Neely

May 30, 2007
Nova Scotia
all will be forgotten if Drouin is able to perform under the pressure of playing for the Habs but one thing the Habs have to be concerned about is their prospect pool.

I think Drouin is a very good talent, I`m not convinced he`s the kind of player who can produce while being THE man, time will tell

Drouin has all the skills necessary to be a high end offencive star. Should he show that ability early on he will receive the savior like love of the fans and media. Should he struggle, especially early on, they will quickly flip the other way as he and Bergevin will feel their full wrath. That's Montreal in a nut shell. They eat their own.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

The conversation began with a tongue-in-cheek celebratory tweet from the Golden Knights in which they boasted about winning two preseason games, which is “more than @Patriots, @dallascowboys or the Washington Pro Football Club.â€

I saw that on my Twitter feed. Anybody who can troll those damn Habs is all right in my book :yo::yo:

Sharp Shooting Neely

May 30, 2007
Nova Scotia
Recap of the NHL game and related activities taking place in China. One major objective of the venture for China is to educate its population on the game in preparation for hosting the 2022 Olympics. Head scratching, if not hypocritical, that the attempt is in conjunction with the very league that gave the finger to the 2018 Olympics.

"With Beijing to host the 2022 Winter Olympics, the NHL is showcasing two preseason games in a country unfamiliar with hockey. The Kings and Canucks play their second game in Beijing on Saturday."

From CBC Sports.
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/nhl-preseason-china-canucks-kings-1.4301282

Sharp Shooting Neely

May 30, 2007
Nova Scotia
Lupul may have opened a can of worms for the Leafs in regards to medical clearances with his sarcastic remarks via Instagram on his situation. The league appears to have weighted into Lupul's insinuations on how his clearance, as well as other players, have been handled. They have ordered an independent medical assessment for Lupul.

From NBC Sports:
http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2017/09/21/report-lupul-will-have-independent-medical-exam/

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Lupul may have opened a can of worms for the Leafs in regards to medical clearances with his sarcastic remarks via Instagram on his situation. The league appears to have weighted into Lupul's insinuations on how his clearance, as well as other players, have been handled. They have ordered an independent medical assessment for Lupul.

From NBC Sports:
http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2017/09/21/report-lupul-will-have-independent-medical-exam/

Same for Hossa. His diagnosis seemed a bit suspicious at an all-too-convenient time...

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Same for Hossa. His diagnosis seemed a bit suspicious at an all-too-convenient time...

Chicago should have gone with the 'dog ate his hockey equipment' story

I never bought the allergy BS for one second - if Hossa scored 50 last year he'd likely have no issues that would have him retired

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Being in America the videos on Sportsnet's page don't always play. They do put some of them on YouTube. Here's the Marchand clip:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Being in America the videos on Sportsnet's page don't always play. They do put some of them on YouTube. Here's the Marchand clip:

I think the rule itself is fine, how it`s been enforced thus far by the refs just is over the top , Marchand may want to speak one on one with Backes who I think is one who`s on the competition committee isn`t he?

Sharp Shooting Neely

May 30, 2007
Nova Scotia

It would seem his situation has indeed drawn the interest of the league as you had suggested it should. From Prohockey:

"It turns out that Joffrey Lupul isn’t the only player that the league is reviewing the medical status for. James Mirtle of The Athletic reports that Blackhawks winger Marian Hossa is also being looked at. The team announced back in June that Hossa would miss all of 2017-18 due to a progressive skin disorder. Placing Hossa (and Lupul) on long-term injury reverse allows both Chicago and Toronto to get back into cap compliance but the league will be taking a closer look before effectively approving their placements. Considering the potential impact on the salary cap, it would seem likely that this will be addressed before the regular season gets underway."

Potential to set up an interesting dilemma for both teams with the requirements for cap compliance should the league not rule in their favour. Can be assured other GM's are also watching the situation closely.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2017/09/central-notes-parise-hossa-wilson.html

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Both Marchand and Bergeron have been vocal about their dislike of the new enforcement of faceoff violations. As it turns out, a teammate was in on the deal.

“I’ll let the cat out of the bag and, Marchie probably won’t like this, but I was on the committee that helped change it,’’ Backes said. “I get to hear his gripes and it makes me chuckle a little bit.

“I think the intent was that all the faceoffs tended to be a scrum draw, where it’s not ‘win the draw’ it’s ‘don’t lose the draw.’ You get the wingers in there and everything looks like lacrosse, where it’s bash each other, get some help in there and figure it all out.

“The intent was to have a cleanly won faceoff and whether it’s the second center in there who’s petrified to get a penalty or the first guy that’s got to be really honest, the draws are won more cleanly. You can watch the games.â€

When Marchand was apprised of Backes’s role on the competition committee, his eyebrows rose.

“We’ll talk about it,†he said, then grinned broadly, “He should be fired.â€

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/b...-for-bruins/CMfNpIcStAg3IMeHL55YuL/story.html

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

I'm confused with the face-off thing.

Isn't the violation dependent on the centers foot/toe crossing the line markings on the ice and encroaching in too far on the face-off?

How do they "dial that back"? Isn't that sort of violation black or white, either the foot crossed the line or it didn't.

Maybe I'm not understanding the rule correctly.

Personally if they want to go down this road I think they need to move the line-markings in a couple inches closer to the face-off circle.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Both Marchand and Bergeron have been vocal about their dislike of the new enforcement of faceoff violations. As it turns out, a teammate was in on the deal.

“I’ll let the cat out of the bag and, Marchie probably won’t like this, but I was on the committee that helped change it,’’ Backes said. “I get to hear his gripes and it makes me chuckle a little bit.

“I think the intent was that all the faceoffs tended to be a scrum draw, where it’s not ‘win the draw’ it’s ‘don’t lose the draw.’ You get the wingers in there and everything looks like lacrosse, where it’s bash each other, get some help in there and figure it all out.

“The intent was to have a cleanly won faceoff and whether it’s the second center in there who’s petrified to get a penalty or the first guy that’s got to be really honest, the draws are won more cleanly. You can watch the games.â€

When Marchand was apprised of Backes’s role on the competition committee, his eyebrows rose.

“We’ll talk about it,†he said, then grinned broadly, “He should be fired.â€

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/b...-for-bruins/CMfNpIcStAg3IMeHL55YuL/story.html

I'd trust Bergeron's opinion over Backed.
As someone mentioned it'll look like table hockey with sticks waving at the puck. Nothing remotely appealing with that. The NHL is trying to make it too easy. What happened to battling for the puck? The same goes for love taps being called a slash (stick to hands should be a slash, nothing else).

riverhawkey91

May 22, 2011
Lowell, MA

That's funny. I remember reading this quote from Darren Helm the other day and now it sounds like the NHL is already forcing the refs to do what he was afraid of:

I don't love but I think it can work. It puts a lot of responsibility on the referees to be consistent and call it," Helm said. "I know yesterday (Wednesday in Pittsburgh), the linesman who was dropping the puck, they put a lot of pressure on him to have the two wingers coming in and the centerman as well.

"If all the refs are kind of helping out and taking responsibility, it could be a good rule. It's pretty simple. You don't step on the circle line. You don't put your feet into the hash marks if you're a center and you put your stick down. It's not too hard or complicated.

"I think when the refs start backing off and not calling it, that's when it's going to get a lot of backlash. Yesterday, I thought they did a good job of calling it in the first period but by the end of the game, I think there wasn't as many calls as could have been made. That's where guys will get frustrated."

Link: https://www.nhl.com/redwings/news/face-off-rule-enforcement-haunts-wings/c-291243960

I think if they back off by just having refs warn guys instead of tossing them immediately, it might be okay. But if they're already going to start undermining their own rule, that's not going to end well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad