Around the NHL: Part XX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Newsflash...hope y'all are sitting down for this:

This Nathan MacKinnon fella is pretty good at this hockey thing.

OK back to you regularly scheduled broadcast...lol

Reactions: leetch99

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
They would struggle with both of them healthy.

They're a jacked up version of us, with more offense and less defense/goaltending.

For the same reason that if we somehow snuck into the dance, whoever we ended up playing should not be too overconfident vs us seeing we could be a very dangerous out.

I kind of feel similar about the Leafs. This may sound nuts but if the Leafs sneak in to the playoffs, whoever they face better not be overconfident versus them either seeing as Jekyle and Hyde as they are, the'd be a very dangerous team to have to play come playoff time.

Wouldn't shock me in the least that in a year when most wouldn't expect the Leafs to go on a run, that this is the year they will pull of an upset or two.

Kords

Jun 19, 2019
For the same reason that if we somehow snuck into the dance, whoever we ended up playing should not be too overconfident vs us seeing we could be a very dangerous out.

I kind of feel similar about the Leafs. This may sound nuts but if the Leafs sneak in to the playoffs, whoever they face better not be overconfident versus them either seeing as Jekyle and Hyde as they are, the'd be a very dangerous team to have to play come playoff time.

Wouldn't shock me in the least that in a year when most wouldn't expect the Leafs to go on a run, that this is the year they will pull of an upset or two.

Stranger things have happened, but I just don't see it with the Leafs at current form. Without defense, goaltending or grit they lack 3/4ths of what is needed for PO success. And not just a little, like they have absolutely none of the above qualities right now. They would most likely play the Caps/TB/B's if they get in and either of those teams would grind them to bone.

Hate to say this, but the Pens have somehow been flying under the radar despite their success this season. I think they may get underestimated and go on a run.

Reactions: Ratelleitlikeitis

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

Id be surprised, they're soooo f***ing bad defensively even when healthy.

If Morgan Rielly is your #1 defenseman, you're going to have a bad time.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
You want Torte to turn Panarin , Zib , Fox snd every other player into shot blocking shooter tutors ?? .

Torts beat Tampa with Panarin last season. Meanwhile, this team has given up the 2nd most shots against in the league.

I understand where you are coming from yet that a Rangers team he coached wasn’t much different than the Islanders today. Both have to work hard for every goal.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
You all remember when Vegas fired Gallant? You all remember how it was criticized as a terrible move? Well, Gallant is still without a job and Vegas is in the midst of a 7 game win streak. That is all.

Reactions: jas

SwedeAmerican

Dec 5, 2011
Is everyone still not worried that the isles can go on a run this spring? I’m thinking back to the 2011-2012 Kings and that was a team that really struggled to score goals during the regular season, made a nice trade or two at the deadline, was only the 8 seed (I think), and then really came together during the playoffs and only lost 3 or 4 games the entire playoffs. I’m kinda worried the isles will do something like that.

Tossed Medal

Jan 23, 2020
Is everyone still not worried that the isles can go on a run this spring? I’m thinking back to the 2011-2012 Kings and that was a team that really struggled to score goals during the regular season, made a nice trade or two at the deadline, was only the 8 seed (I think), and then really came together during the playoffs and only lost 3 or 4 games the entire playoffs. I’m kinda worried the isles will do something like that.
They don’t have jonathon Quick and Drew Doughty

Reactions: motopanekeku

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
The Panthers having to cut salary going into next season after handing out one of the worst deals in the league is hilarious.

You all remember when Vegas fired Gallant? You all remember how it was criticized as a terrible move? Well, Gallant is still without a job and Vegas is in the midst of a 7 game win streak. That is all.
Small sample size much?

Gallant is biding his time, why take a job from some random team now when you can have a dozen teams line up for your services in the summer

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
In other news, it's the second half of the season and Ryan McDonagh's body is beat up.

Honestly, I don't miss this about him. I loved the player but it seems like every year during crunch time and in the playoffs he was hobbled by something or other. Not his fault, but not a trade I regret.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Honestly, I don't miss this about him. I loved the player but it seems like every year during crunch time and in the playoffs he was hobbled by something or other. Not his fault, but not a trade I regret.

I agree and think it's something you have to take into consideration.

Look, McD is a warrior. But man does that role take a lot out of him.

My concern with signing him was always two-fold:

1. While he certainly helps get you to the playoffs, is his body wrecked whenever you actually get there?

2. How does that look during years 3 or 4 of the contract, and beyond?

You're right, it's not the poor guy's fault. But if your trying to put together a winning roster, and have a finite amount of cap space, it has to be a consideration on some level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad