Around the NHL: Part XVIII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Take a breathe, relax. Thick skin my friends.

We don't even know the full story about it.
We *do* know about Franzen's long, sad history of mental illness and concussions, right? And your response, "He must have thin skin." You don't know the full story either but chose to overlook what we do know about Franzen to talk out of your ass. f*** off with the "relax friends!" garbage.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
We *do* know about Franzen's long, sad history of mental illness and concussions, right? And your response, "He must have thin skin." You don't know the full story either but chose to overlook what we do know about Franzen to talk out of your ass. **** off with the "relax friends!" garbage.
You're an internet bully.

Be nice.

Just relax.

Friend.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
It's not surprising. Didn't the story come out after he got fired that every year leadership went to Holland saying they wanted Babcock fired?

You wonder, Babcock was such a dick to the players, while Mike Ilich sounded like one of the nicest owners in pro sports. You wonder if the players just tuned out that stuff and realized that the owner of the team gave a shit about them and just dealt with it.

Reactions: nyr2k2

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
It's not surprising. Didn't the story come out after he got fired that every year leadership went to Holland saying they wanted Babcock fired?

You wonder, Babcock was such a dick to the players, while Mike Ilich sounded like one of the nicest owners in pro sports. You wonder if the players just tuned out that stuff and realized that the owner of the team gave a **** about them and just dealt with it.

Total speculation on my part, but they probably thought they were getting another Bowman --- who could play quite the psychological games himself.

But one of the things that's not talked about here, and it's prevalent in every industry in which I've ever worked, is that management tends to be more tolerant of shady bullshit when they're getting results and "winning" at their respective challenge.

Coaching, sales/marketing, journalism, the stock market, politics, etc. You name it, and you'll find people who are willing to give a long leash so long as the checks clear, the money rolls in, and the end result is deemed a success.

Unfortunately, a lot of that is true for most of us at some point in our lives. And if it hasn't been, it probably will be at some point. I know that's not a pleasant answer to read, but it's probably more true than we'd care to admit.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
These are completely different eras. That doesn't mean what he did was right but things should be put into context. Babcock's style doesn't mesh with modern day.

He was/is an asshole. People didn't like him. That's his style. It's an age-old way of doing things. Whether it be in competition/battle. Military still uses it but there's checks and balances.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I think that the specific kind of "leadership" you see in those really intense guys is probably on the way out. That's not to say that the days of bully head coaches are over, but I think the tolerance for that kind of behavior is shrinking and shrinking. And really, a big part of leadership is knowing how to best motivate and orient your guys. I think coaches are becoming more aware that the players themselves expect to be treated differently, and then in turn the good ones change their leadership style accordingly--to be more supportive and positive, less in-your-face, overly-negative, threatening, etc.

I remember growing up, coaches just kind of kicked your ass. That was the expectation. Bobby Knight was a cool dude and people wanted to emulate that nasty, asshole style. Now I coach youth sports and while you still run across some jerks, most coaches are acutely aware that parents are watching, and that what parents can't see the kids will still report back.

Of course, the more competitive the leagues get, the more tolerance there is for those dickheads, because parents start to believe that their kids are really going to make it (like, pro level, not just make varsity as a Freshman, LOL). And if Mike Yells-His-Dick-Off is the best coach out there, then they want him on that team. This, however, is where the college and pro athletes come in--if they start to refuse to play for these tyrannical douchebags, then it does trickle down to the more competitive youth environments.

So, color me refreshed that all these guys have begun to speak out. Hopefully we can eliminate that kind of behavior at all levels in the next decade or so.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
I'd be interested to know what Babcock actually said to Franzen, whether its something that really crosses the line or just typical tough-guy mean coach stuff. I mean most, if not all, sports coaches are assholes. I feel like you need to be in order to be a coach, at any level. If we start witch hunting any coach who was "mean" to their players to try and motivate them I think thats a mistake. Obviously stuff like Peters is never acceptable (especially demoting the player after making a complaint) but the Sean Avery thing, and even the Marner list controversy, its kind of a dickhead thing to do but man Babcock is really getting the twitter lynch mob treatment, I mean did anyone ever have any doubt he wasn't a jerk? Just look at him.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I say this somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but I really do wonder if there's a brewing wave in the NHL where there's going to be quite a few coaches and general managers with major skeletons in the closet that suddenly find those incidents exposed to the public.

In turn, I think that creates the potential for some nasty **** to come out concerning the players as well.

In any high-profile industry there's always rumors and hearsay. A lot of times, the conspiracies are far more juicy than the reality. But every once in a while, you see things. I mean really see things.

Most people have at one time or another had a really bad boss and some of them have a knack for not only sticking around but getting more power. When you think about it why would the NHL or any major sport be any different? Bullies permeate throughout society. Personally I'm glad the Rangers won in '94 but Keenan was another guy who could be pretty bizarre and he certainly was power hungry. Seems to me Ken Holland made friends with his guy something that Neil Smith didn't do. In any case when the Rangers coaching job comes up again (and these things are inevitable) one guy I won't want the Rangers to look at is Babcock.

Reactions: nyr2k2

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I'd be interested to know what Babcock actually said to Franzen, whether its something that really crosses the line or just typical tough-guy mean coach stuff. I mean most, if not all, sports coaches are *******s. I feel like you need to be in order to be a coach, at any level. If we start witch hunting any coach who was "mean" to their players to try and motivate them I think thats a mistake. Obviously stuff like Peters is never acceptable (especially demoting the player after making a complaint) but the Sean Avery thing, and even the Marner list controversy, its kind of a ******** thing to do but man Babcock is really getting the twitter lynch mob treatment, I mean did anyone ever have any doubt he wasn't a jerk? Just look at him.

Chelios isn't really that detailish as far as what was said to Franzen. He just mentions that Franzen broke down on the bench and in the locker room......so it's hard to say whether Babcock crossed the line or even by how much. To me though he crosses the line with Marner---that's f***ed up. I could see firing his ass just for that.

I will say also that making an impression on Chelios like that shouldn't be taken lightly. Chelios was one hard ass dude on and off the ice.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Somewhat lost in all this, aside from mental illness stigmas, is that a concussion is a brain trauma.

Trauma.

It's not a black eye and some missing teeth.

I think we forget that sometimes.

I think I mentioned concussions and depression going hand in hand. Sometimes when guys are out for a long time it's because of some really nasty side affects. Can't stand light--can't stand noise. Literally living in a dark and quiet place. Anger issues is another one. Constant nausea. Concussions can drastically change a person's personality. No one who is suffering through any kind of brain injury should be competitively playing hockey. If Babcock knew Franzen was concussed and tormented him anyway he's a real shitbird.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
...But one of the things that's not talked about here, and it's prevalent in every industry in which I've ever worked, is that management tends to be more tolerant of shady bull**** when they're getting results and "winning" at their respective challenge...

This. Not surprising that these accounts came up when Babdick couldn't make a winner in Toronto. The reporting line in hockey is paramount. Many times we heard about comparison to military. So my take is that Holland was afraid of
1. A perception that "inmates are running the asylum" and looking like a weak GM, and
2. Especially if the new coach couldn't get results. Then it would be Holland's ass on the line for sabotaging winning results for the owner.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
”Den värsta personen jag någonsin träffat”

This is a horrifying account from Frazen himself about what Babcock did to him as a person.

If it wasn't already a done deal, I cannot see Babcock getting a job anywhere again.

Phewww....that was some heavy heavy shit...wow. Seeing Franzen like that was tough to see and listen too.

Tho the topic sucks bigtime, I for one am glad it's out in the open and my hope is that the Babcock's and Peter's of the world are vilified the rest of their lives and never get a gig again in the world of hockey.

In a way these revelations are kind of like hockey's version of the "me-too" movement where the Harvey Weinstein's, Kevin Spacey's, Matt Lauer's of the world got outed after years of abuse and finally they got their comeuppance.

Reactions: eco's bones

Stasis

Mad Decent
Oct 25, 2009
NYC & MTL
In some ways, we're almost the opposite of Colorado and Edmonton. I worry less about our ability to find depth, and a little more about having quite enough high-power ammo.

I wanted to just post a reply agreeing with you but ended up writing a novel of roster building so I'm moving it to that section rather than leave it here where it doesn't fit.

Last edited:

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
833f7174-9bd7-4fc3-b000-08997ffa32c8-jpeg.285785

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Devils are so bad I actually started feeling bad for Ken Daneyko, he sounded like a depressed Patrick Star on the Devils broadcast tonight.

Reactions: xigon

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Babcock's legacy will no longer be about the Cup he won in Detroit, but about the team he ruined

He didn't ruin the Leafs. They just collectively had had enough and stopped playing for him. Now they're playing well again. There's a 'f*** you' message to Babcock in that. I do think that any team that would want to hire him should think twice about it and find someone else. Same with Peters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad