Around the NHL - Part XLIII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
Is this a reference to something or is it just a completely out of pocket post
or the universe where saros reveals he was actually studying the perfect crystalline baldness of various humans and hates hockey

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
For someone his fans claim is a good locker room guy, he seems to have a tough time getting jjobs and sticking. And as for his defense, well he just sucks on D.
NYR re-upped him.
Philly re-upped him.
Carolina brought him back.

Going by social media, I remember him regularly posting pics with teammates. I doubt guys who hate him would travel with him.

Obviously he’s flawed defensively. Maybe he wears out his welcome. Although, Philly and Carolina seemed to have moved on due to poor play.

I don’t know that he’s a great guy or not, but I don’t think there’s enough evidence to figure he’s a cancer.

If I were Edmonton, I’d bring him in for cheap depth. Let him join the track meet. With ice time he’ll put up 40+ for a million bucks.

Last edited:

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I adamantly disagree. Good GMs take these risks. It’s contracts like this that allow you to win championships. I would easily take this risk with Beniers.

I look forward to the impending Shesterkin and Lafreniere shitshow negotiations.
I strongly recommended the Rangers sign Kakko to about ~4.5M x 5-6 years after his 40 point season I still stand by that.
Hell no to Kakko. If the Rangers had locked him up for 4+ million things be even tighter for Laf and Shesterkin. You pay the right guys. Not everyone.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
NYR re-upped him.
Philly re-upped him.
Carolina brought him back.

Going by social media, I remember him regularly posting pics with teammates. I doubt guys who hate him would travel with him.

Obviously he’s flawed defensively. Maybe he wears out his welcome. Although, Philly and Carolina seemed to have moved on due to poor play.

I don’t know that he’s a great guy or not, but I don’t think there’s enough evidence to figure he’s a cancer.

If I were Edmonton, I’d bring him in for cheap depth. Let him join the track meet. With ice time he’ll put up 40+ for a million bucks.
Edmonton being a track meet is a take from 2022. They are probably the most fundamentally sound defensive team in the league who just so happen to have McDavid too. TDA fits there like a fist in an asshole.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Hell no to Kakko. If the Rangers had locked him up for 4+ million things be even tighter for Laf and Shesterkin. You pay the right guys. Not everyone.

Kakko for 8 years at 4M or Reilly Smith / Ryan Lindgren / or the next bozo we sign next offseason. There is room for Laf or Shesty. There's room for a good long term role player contract and the big dogs.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Edmonton being a track meet is a take from 2022. They are probably the most fundamentally sound defensive team in the league who just so happen to have McDavid too. TDA fits there like a fist in an asshole.
Good that would help cover his defensive warts. I still think it’d be a solid cheap depth signing for a team that has had cap issues.

For all his issues, he’s an NHL player.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
I'm having a hard time reconciling "most fundamentally sound defensive team" and "Edmonton" in the same sentence. Ekholm-Bouchard, fantastic. After those two, it's like that deep sea cliff in Finding Nemo. It just drops off. Very hard. Darnell Nurse is their version of Trouba except he gets paid more, hits less, and has SIX more years on his contract. But focusing on his on-ice play, it's not great. Ideally he's their 3rd pairing LD. The rest of the roster... and looking at the roster from last year, Cody Ceci is a skating disaster. Brett Kulak, Troy Stecher, Vincent Desharnais, Philip Broberg. This is a fundamentally weak defensive team. They do suppress shots but they are pretty bad with giveaways, up there in opponent takeaways (different), they take more hits than they give, and they do do some things better than us. But I'd put them in the middle of the pack. Not most.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I'm having a hard time reconciling "most fundamentally sound defensive team" and "Edmonton" in the same sentence. Ekholm-Bouchard, fantastic. After those two, it's like that deep sea cliff in Finding Nemo. It just drops off. Very hard. Darnell Nurse is their version of Trouba except he gets paid more, hits less, and has SIX more years on his contract. But focusing on his on-ice play, it's not great. Ideally he's their 3rd pairing LD. The rest of the roster... and looking at the roster from last year, Cody Ceci is a skating disaster. Brett Kulak, Troy Stecher, Vincent Desharnais, Philip Broberg. This is a fundamentally weak defensive team. They do suppress shots but they are pretty bad with giveaways, up there in opponent takeaways (different), they take more hits than they give, and they do do some things better than us. But I'd put them in the middle of the pack. Not most.
A bit hyperbolic I guess, but the idea that Edmonton can’t keep the puck out of their net is an outdated one:
IMG_8309.jpeg

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I agree but expected goal differential is a bit of a disingenuous metric for ranking defense. They are not the best defense but if you want to say they score way more than they let in, you are 100% correct there.
Sorry I sorted the wrong column. They’re top 10 in xGA too in a tight grouping where a couple of bounces could have them top 5.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
shop.profetkeyboards.com
Why did they ever think that Quinn was the right choice for this team? Ugh.

You run around without the puck and don't understand why you need all this. We didn't even try to keep the puck… It was the most simple hockey that kills the player in you.

Reactions: CLW

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad