Around The NHL Discussion 2021-22 Part IV Into the Playoffs Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
Calgary peppering Dallas with every low-danger shot reminiscent of Hitchcock Hockey. It's making Dallas's goaltender look really good when he's not even being screened.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
What's Army's contract situation? I wonder if the Leafs would throw crazy money at Armstrong to 'bring him home' after the Blues win a 2nd Cup. He's a Sarnia guy, and if the Leafs don't fire Shanahan and Dubas now they likely never will.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
What's Army's contract situation? I wonder if the Leafs would throw crazy money at Armstrong to 'bring him home' after the Blues win a 2nd Cup. He's a Sarnia guy, and if the Leafs don't fire Shanahan and Dubas now they likely never will.
Under contract for 5 more years so that won't be happening.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Man what a good day. Back to back Game 7 OT’s.
Blues advancing already + weekend spread to watch each game individually + some genuinely thrilling games was a sports treat we haven't gotten in awhile.

Entertainment ranks of the other seven series:
1. Toronto–Tampa was a heavyweight classic between two legitimate contenders
2. New York–Pittsburgh was a great series with two thrillers. Neither team is a likely Cup team makes it one notch lower.
3. Calgary–Dallas was a goaltending thriller. A tense clencher of a series capped by an incredible Game 7.
4. Florida–Washington. Florida showed the regular season resilience is real
5. Edmonton–LA. The 14th and 15th best playoff teams put on a good show.
6. Carolina–Boston, all home blowouts and even Game 7 wasn't that exciting
7. Colorado–Nashville, obviously

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
Blues advancing already + weekend spread to watch each game individually + some genuinely thrilling games was a sports treat we haven't gotten in awhile.

Entertainment ranks of the other seven series:
1. Toronto–Tampa was a heavyweight classic between two legitimate contenders
2. New York–Pittsburgh was a great series with two thrillers. Neither team is a likely Cup team makes it one notch lower.
3. Calgary–Dallas was a goaltending thriller. A tense clencher of a series capped by an incredible Game 7.
4. Florida–Washington. Florida showed the regular season resilience is real
5. Edmonton–LA. The 14th and 15th best playoff teams put on a good show.
6. Carolina–Boston, all home blowouts and even Game 7 wasn't that exciting
7. Colorado–Nashville, obviously

I would have them ranked in the exact same order. You hit the nail right on the head here.

Would maaaaaybe swap 4/5 for the game 7 bias though, but definitely much better teams in the FLA/WSH series. Would’ve liked to see how it would’ve turned out if Wilson played.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
What a fun weekend. I wish they started the Sunday games a couple hours earlier though.

Tampa is my favorite until someone beats them. They are an unbelievable team and Vasilevski is an absolute freak. His record/performances following a loss and in closeout games is just absurd. He's a top 5 goalie year-round, but he has an extra big-game gear that is a couple notches above that. Toronto absolutely poured it on in the 3rd period and it never even seemed possible that they were going to actually get one by him. Tampa is the defending back-to-back champ and they haven't even lost consecutive playoff games in the last 9 rounds. Toronto didn't choke this series away. Tampa won this series.

Connor McDavid put on an absolute show on Saturday. I'm not sure I've ever seen a forward control a game the way he controlled game 7. He played almost half the game, had an xGF% above 70%, and was the main contributor to both goals in a 2-0 victory.

Gaudreau and Oettinger put on a show last night. The Flames did pile a lot of low danger shots on net, but they also had 24 high danger chances. Oettinger made a number of incredibly good saves and Calgary didn't bury a lot of rubber into his chest. He was reaching/stretching for a ton of pucks even though his positioning was excellent. It was fitting that Gaudreau scored the winner. He was the best skater on the ice by a wide margin and either shot or set up about 6 should-be goals. So happy that we're getting a battle of Alberta.

Boston/Carolina went about as expected and Rangers/Pens was yet another good game in a series that had a few of them. I have to say that this portion of the playoff bracket is the one I care least about, so these games got the 'I'll watch them while I do the crap I need to get done' treatment from me.

All in all, this might be the best 1st round I've ever seen. 7 of 8 matchups were very exciting, the Blues advanced, and the games were decently staggered to maximize the amount of hockey you could watch. Blues/Avs and a Battle of Alberta is going to lead to another couple weeks of late nights...

Reactions: Vladys Gumption

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Vegas fired DeBoer. I’ll never understand why they fired Gallant to bring him in. That was quite a head scratcher to me.
They probably have their next coach in mind. Probably planning to take a run at Trotz. I hope not, because I really like Trotz and I want to be able to root for him.

I had thought maybe Vegas was a bit embarrassed by this season and were going to have a quiet offseason (barring the necessary salary moves). But firing their coach after a year where they were held together by glue is just one more questionable front office moves.

The circus will continue.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
They probably have their next coach in mind. Probably planning to take a run at Trotz. I hope not, because I really like Trotz and I want to be able to root for him.

I had thought maybe Vegas was a bit embarrassed by this season and were going to have a quiet offseason (barring the necessary salary moves). But firing their coach after a year where they were held together by glue is just one more questionable front office moves.

The circus will continue.
Can we start referring to Vegas as "Cirque De So Lame"?

Last edited:

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
But firing their coach after a year where they were held together by glue is just one more questionable front office moves.
I have such mixed feelings. Because I fully agree with you that injuries and not the coach were behind the playoff miss. But I also think DeBoer is a below average coach and that his replacement will do a better job. Do two wrongs make a right and 'correct' the decision to hire him?

Impatience is definitely becoming the calling card for the Knights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad