Around The NHL Discussion 2021-22 Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
I liked the broadcast elements of TNT much more than ESPN, but the panel for ESPN is much better. The scorebug and on ice visual elements like the PP time on the ice and real time shot speed are real seperators in my eyes on the game experience. ESPN not having an always on shot counter is a particularly bad omission. On the panel end, part of the thing that people love about TNT's nba production is how fun the guys on the panel are, and you're never going to get that with Gretzky. Maybe someone like Hull is too wild, but you want someone who can stir it up and inject some fun without being unlikable like milbury is. Messier is someone I'd consider a natural fit, but ESPN has him already.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
We've seen a double header on each of ESPN and TNT so I feel like we can start comparing coverage. I think that ESPN's coverage was miles better than TNT's.

While they didn't all work, I liked that ESPN is trying out some new camera angles. I'm not a fan of having a camera move to follow live play, but I really like the wide angle of the moving side camera they have. Being able to see the neutral zone even when a puck is below the goal line is fantastic. They aren't all going to stick, but I like that their attempts at innovation are related to how we see the ice rather than TNT using the standard angle but adding digital graphics that provide info.

I also preferred the studio/intermission elements of ESPN more than TNT's. TNT felt like NBC 2.0 with a cast that didn't really have any chemistry. Gretzky shouldn't be on a panel. Players respect him and it is clear when he interviews guys. He should be doing pre-recorded (and some live) interviews and his other contribution should be them cutting to him for brief analysis segments. Call it "Gretzky's Office" and have it be a set piece in the studio separate from the panel that looks like an office set up behind a goal. Have him break down highlights of goals and offensive creativity and then do video interviews with the players featured. He isn't a super charismatic guy and there is no reason to believe that he'll have any chemistry with Biz. I want to see the panel mimic the NBA panel's goofy/loose vibe and Gretzky isn't going to fit in with that. Having him involved is a great draw for the casual fan and I'm 100% on board with having him be the 'straight man' for a few minutes every intermission. But it needs to be separate from the panel.

ESPN was relying a ton on my nostalgia from the 90s/2000s and it will be interesting to see how their coverage looks once the novelty of hearing those voices and music wears off a tad.

I stream through a Roku and there was a noticeable quality difference between the two. The puck and camera pans in the ESPN games were much less juttery than TNT's. Not sure if that is a result of the apps or whether ESPN is filming/sending a stream with a higher refresh rate. Either way, ESPN's broadcast was easier on my eyes.

All in all, neither was a disaster and there is potential for both to be excellent. I hope that they keep trying new things.
I didn't get to see as much of either as I would have liked, and I've never spent too much time anyway on pre-game and intermission panels, but I did like a couple of things about the TNT game broadcast over ESPN. First, I liked the fact that they found a way to keep the SOG on the score bug (love that both have it in the upper left instead of the lower bar) without making it look too busy. Finally, I love, love, LOVE that TNT experimented with putting the PP clock in the high slot on both ends. It didn't feel in the way to me at all and I found it helpful as the PP winds down to be able to track the time left without looking away from the action.

Reactions: Brian39

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I didn't get to see as much of either as I would have liked, and I've never spent too much time anyway on pre-game and intermission panels, but I did like a couple of things about the TNT game broadcast over ESPN. First, I liked the fact that they found a way to keep the SOG on the score bug (love that both have it in the upper left instead of the lower bar) without making it look too busy. Finally, I love, love, LOVE that TNT experimented with putting the PP clock in the high slot on both ends. It didn't feel in the way to me at all and I found it helpful as the PP winds down to be able to track the time left without looking away from the action.
Yeah, my post probably sounded too harsh on TNT. I also liked those aspects. Shot counter should be mandatory everywhere and I really liked the PP clock on ice. I didn't dislike the digital graphics on TNT, but they simple do less to move the needle for me in terms of innovations that improve broadcasts. They are neat and helpful, but don't tangibly change the way I watch. A couple of ESPN's new angles made it feel more like I was in the arena than anything I've seen on a hockey broadcast before, which is why I preferred those innovations.

I thought both game presentations were better than NBC's. I thought ESPN's overall broadcast was miles better because I thought is was really good from start to finish and not because I thought TNT's was poor.

Good moment from the TNT studio coverage to balance out my criticism:

Last edited:

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Thank god. $8M+ is way too much for him. I'd much rather have Matt.
In 5 years when the Sens are starting the next phase of budget cuts and the Blues are pulling out of their retool/rebuild, the cap might be high enough that $8M is the actual value of a player like him. Certainly less than what his UFA value would have been if he'd done a 3 year deal and then accepted his QO to walk straight to UFA.

I never thought he was coming here in the next couple years, but I don't think this signing precludes him from getting here until it expires. I won't be surprised if Ottawa decides to move on from him midway through this deal and we are interested.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Agreed. I always thought Matt was far better. Don't understand why so many folks prefer Brady.
I prefer Matthew myself, but I suspect others prefer Brady because of his size, or because he doesn't have the "dirty" reputation that Matthew does. Personally, the latter is one of the reasons why I prefer Matthew, and feel we could use a highly skilled "shit disturber" in our lineup.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
I prefer Matthew myself, but I suspect others prefer Brady because of his size, or because he doesn't have the "dirty" reputation that Matthew does. Personally, the latter is one of the reasons why I prefer Matthew, and feel we could use a highly skilled "shit disturber" in our lineup.

Yeah Matthew is much better, maybe a bit of a distraction at times, but much more of a distraction to the other team

Blues need someone to bring some skill while getting under the other teams skin (used to be perronish kinda, but no longer)

I think moving on from Tarasenko and maybe Schenn and having Tkachuk and a more developed Neighbours would make this forward group deadly.

Reactions: MissouriMook

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Yeah, my post probably sounded too harsh on TNT. I also liked those aspects. Shot counter should be mandatory everywhere and I really liked the PP clock on ice. I didn't dislike the digital graphics on TNT, but they simple do less to move the needle for me in terms of innovations that improve broadcasts.
I think a lot of TNT's digital additions like the clock on the ice are things that they've adapted from their NBA games which is are some welcome features.

I'm not sure which of ESPN or TNT I like more at this point. But based on the statistics each network has released for the viewership of their debuts. I think the NHL is certainly in good hands with both as broadcast partners.

Reactions: Brian39

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Tyler Bertuzzi is owning Vasilevskiy…4 goals so far…

Wings trying to start the 2-time defending Cup-champs in an 0-2 season hole.
I know it’s early…but Tampa looks very un-Tampa like giving up 12-goals in less than two full games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad