OT: Around the NHL - Cat Scratch Fever

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The Oilers fans in that thread are hilarious, basically just hoping the cap keeps going up so it makes the contracts look less terrible.

For one, Sid & Geno when they first got their matching 8.7m cap hit extensions in 2008-09 and 2009-10, they were still just 21 and 22yrs old, not 28. They also signed that extension after making to the finals twice and winning the cup the 2nd time in Sid's first year with that new contract, so they could have just gone for the max cap hits but nah, they took less, all the Pens core players took less to keep the team competitive.

Oilers made the finals once in the Drai/McD era, both are almost 30. Leon turns 29 in October and McDavid hits 28 in January. This is when you take a shorter term deal at a lower cap hit to really say f*** you to the league so they can add a lot and really push for a cup, but nah, lol.

Imagine if in 2013-14 Sid did what Draisaitl did, Sid would be 26yrs old signing that new 8yr deal at 10.28m cap hit, that would effectively take out a lot of the moves the Pens did end up making, you likely can't add Kessel at all, the Hornqvist trade maybe still goes down because it was a cap swap of Neal and Horny, but a lot of other moves don't happen at all and Malkin maybe takes more as well which means Letang would have taken more too. That's if they did the same dipshit thing the Oilers "core" is doing now.

lol
My biggest issue with the vocal majority on the main boards is they change the narrative of how good their roster is all depending on the subject.

It's like, if it's a McDavid thread and people are bringing up his lack of Cups, they'll insist the team sucks and he carried them as far as possible and how Sid had a LOT more talent around him. But if the subject is simply about contenders and who has a good team, they'll get upset if anyone criticizes their roster.

So which is it? Are they a deep, offensive juggernaut who will make anyone who questions them look foolish? Or is poor Connor stuck with a weak team compared to the all time dynasty team surrounding Crosby in 2009?

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
My biggest issue with the vocal majority on the main boards is they change the narrative of how good their roster is all depending on the subject.

It's like, if it's a McDavid thread and people are bringing up his lack of Cups, they'll insist the team sucks and he carried them as far as possible and how Sid had a LOT more talent around him. But if the subject is simply about contenders and who has a good team, they'll get upset if anyone criticizes their roster.

So which is it? Are they a deep, offensive juggernaut who will make anyone who questions them look foolish? Or is poor Connor stuck with a weak team compared to the all time dynasty team surrounding Crosby in 2009?
They love to move their goal posts. Like right they want to ignore revenue, finances, trends, small market cap structure, etc just to falsify logic of being 100m for a cap hit in 2yrs. So a jump to 12m in cap, something that for the NHL would have some serious ramifications for with the smaller market teams and the cap floor basically being closer to the cap hit last year at its mid point in a span of 3-4yrs. That is how you have teams go belly up.

Also that RNH was underpaid. He's a career 60pt player that had 1 really lucky 104pt season. Without it he's a career 61pt player, with it he's a career 64pt player. 5.12m/yr is essentially market value.

I thought Canadian educational systems were good? Do they not teach simple math or economics in Alberta?

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Well you could say the same thing about US persons too. It's intentionally ignored when it doesn't support their narrative.
My foray into the US educational system was more brief than anything (Some parts of Elementary, HS, and College, most spent in the UK).

But mostly that part was meant in jest. It was mainly to say the oilers fans are idiotic delusional homers.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Also to add @Sidney the Kidney - Last year was the Oilers performing way above their means, they were definitely a case of the "new coach bounce back" that just kept rolling for them deep into the playoffs. The west wasn't even remotely a tough ride either. The Western Conference was comically bad for their playoff teams, half of them limped into the playoffs and the others weren't even that strong to begin with. Like no one seriously thought the Jets were going to do jack shit, same for the Preds, Canucks, Kings, and Vegas. I mean a bloody rookie goalie took them to Game 7 in the 2nd round, LMAO.

If Demko was healthy, the Oilers likely don't even win that series.

Can't wait til 20 years from now when Bryctin, Jaxxton, and AR-15 Staal are all in the NHL
More like

Eric Staal - "Yes I am excited to see my Son OnlyTwoGenders Staal get drafted hopefully in the top 10 like his brother HomesexualityisaSin the year before."

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
Eric Staal - "Yes I am excited to see my Son OnlyTwoGenders Staal get drafted hopefully in the top 10 like his brother HomesexualityisaSin the year before."
Don't forget the "we are pleased to be able to teach acceptance and tolerance to our lovely family. Anyone reading into the honorable names that we decided upon is a hateful bigot out for a witch hunt, and we will not tolerate that"

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
In a general sense, though. Their run created an aura around him.

Yeah it’ll be interesting this season to see what he really does with Edmonton does once Cinderella’s magic wears off.

If it hasn’t begun to do so already… :naughty:

Odds are he won’t have/get 80% of last year’s luck/horseshoe up his ass this season.

And I’m all for it. :popcorn:

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
thing is Drai got that enormous contract. but where was he in the finals?
Almost felt bad for mcdavid in game 7 he was completely gassed, but Drai? Was he injured in the playoffs? 7 games against florida he had 3 assists and was a minus player. Sure reward that with the biggest contract in NHL history, sounds about right.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
thing is Drai got that enormous contract. but where was he in the finals?
Almost felt bad for mcdavid in game 7 he was completely gassed, but Drai? Was he injured in the playoffs? 7 games against florida he had 3 assists and was a minus player. Sure reward that with the biggest contract in NHL history, sounds about right.

Gotta keep their precious McDiva happy….

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad